They laid off all of their java developers when os7 was eol. They let go a lot of the QNX developers when BB10 was eol. I don't think they ever ramped back up with enough developers to support os updates on 5 phone models.

Judging from how buggy and featureless BlackBerry launcher is I think they are working with a skeletal crew of developers. I don't think PRIV or the Dtek series will ever see nougat much less android o.
    06-14-17 08:42 AM
    We have someone in the forums referring to the DTEK series at "legacy" devices, so it seems we might be in that boat. Seems more and more likely that these "legacy" devices will never get Nougat and the frequency of patches will probably be less/delayed.
    06-14-17 09:17 AM
    The Priv is getting old, while missing Nougat would be a disappointment lack of O is to be expected. The DTEKs are newer but exist in the limbo between BlackBerry going their own way with Android and sloughing off devices and handing them to TCL. I wouldn't expect O for them either, even if the newest of the bunch is from November 2016.
    06-14-17 09:31 AM
    So the best option is not to buy Blackdroid devices...

Posted via CB10
    06-14-17 09:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    ಠ_ಠ

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.2205 | Bell
    06-14-17 10:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    The only manufacturer that guarantees monthly patches and major versions is Google with the Pixel line.
    06-14-17 10:09 AM
    The only manufacturer that guarantees monthly patches and major versions is Google with the Pixel line.
    Samsung moto and lg also has good record updating their flagship device I think
    06-14-17 10:20 AM
    Yes but no guarantees. My moto z play droid is supposed to be getting 7,1,1 and already on 7.0
    06-14-17 10:43 AM
    You're also getting them first with a Pixel. For example, Samsung's Nougat update program started rolling out in January and is still trickling down based on carrier and device.
    06-14-17 10:46 AM
    If they dont shoehorn Nougat into Dteks/Priv, can BlackBerry powered by Android claim to still have the most secure Android mobile phones?

I understand the root of trust and all, but doesnt it make marshmallows inherently less secure compared to Nougat KEYone &/OR/IF future O Android devices since every progressive OS is considered better than the one it replaced...
    06-14-17 11:13 AM
    If they dont shoehorn Nougat into Dteks/Priv, can BlackBerry powered by Android claim to still have the most secure Android mobile phones?

I understand the root of trust and all, but doesnt it make marshmallows inherently less secure compared to Nougat KEYone &/OR/IF future O Android devices since every progressive OS is considered better than the one it replaced...
    Marketing gimmicks
    06-14-17 11:17 AM
    Marketing gimmicks
    Technically, the KO is not even on the latest version of Android.

Last I checked, it was shipped with 7.1.1. The latest version is 7.1.2. 😛
    06-14-17 11:49 AM
    Technically, the KO is not even on the latest version of Android.

Last I checked, it was shipped with 7.1.1. The latest version is 7.1.2. 😛
    Yep
    06-14-17 11:50 AM
    BlackBerry will update the PRIV, DTEK50 and 60 to Nougat. Anything otherwise would be a colossal fail and nobody would even buy a licensed version. They are doing very well with monthly patches and just did software for Nougat on the Keyone. Why would they not do so on previous versions? To say the PRIV is old is hilarious as most did not even have one until '16. Old... sheesh. The whole new every year is the biggest scam on consumers EVER. I have and use a 6 year old HP laptop running Windows 10 very well. My vehicles are immaculate but 5 and 6 years old. Shoot my '13 Z10 still does what most people do with a mobile phone. (call, text, message, read news online exceptionally well)
    terminatorx likes this.
    06-14-17 04:44 PM
    You can't compare a laptop, which has an open driver model and a massive database of drivers, to a smartphone, which requires a custom build for each different sub-model. Otherwise everyone would have Nougat, even on 6-year-old phones.

You couldn't run Win95 on a 286, or XP on a Pentium 133 with 8 MB of RAM. It's only been in the last decade that PCs have matured enough that you can get more than 5 years of use out of them - for a while, a PC was a 3-year device at best, because so much progress was being made so quickly that they grew obsolete very fast. Smartphones haven't quite gotten there yet.
    06-14-17 05:05 PM
    It doesn't matter that the BBOS and BB10 teams are gone. Those weren't the folks you want hardening Android, porting it to older phones, and making these monthly patches.

It would be nice to know how many people BBRY has dedicated to this work now. I doubt they will tell us.
    06-14-17 05:14 PM
    You can't compare a laptop, which has an open driver model and a massive database of drivers, to a smartphone, which requires a custom build for each different sub-model. Otherwise everyone would have Nougat, even on 6-year-old phones.

You couldn't run Win95 on a 286, or XP on a Pentium 133 with 8 MB of RAM. It's only been in the last decade that PCs have matured enough that you can get more than 5 years of use out of them - for a while, a PC was a 3-year device at best, because so much progress was being made so quickly that they grew obsolete very fast. Smartphones haven't quite gotten there yet.
    Not true. I still run Linux on my laptops from 2002. It works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    06-14-17 09:50 PM
    In text mode, sure. You aren't going to get anything like modern graphical performance out of a 2002 laptop, though. You're example is in no way relevant to the vast majority of people.
    06-14-17 10:15 PM
    In text mode, sure. You aren't going to get anything like modern graphical performance out of a 2002 laptop, though. You're example is in no way relevant to the vast majority of people.
    06-14-17 10:15 PM
    It doesn't matter that the BBOS and BB10 teams are gone. Those weren't the folks you want hardening Android, porting it to older phones, and making these monthly patches.

It would be nice to know how many people BBRY has dedicated to this work now. I doubt they will tell us.
    https://bb.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-...form=hootsuite

They hiring though

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBSIRT/st...75515961757696
    06-14-17 10:21 PM
    Your example is in no way relevant to the vast majority of people.
    CrackBerry.txt
    06-14-17 10:42 PM
    XFCE provides a modern graphical desktop experience. In my case, a 2016 Hewlett Packard Spectre 13 running Xubuntu Linux 16.04 although I do all of my data analytics and data science work at the command line because that I the way I roll. I have been full-time GNU/Linux since January 1, 2000, on an Intel Pentium IBM Thinkpad when video drivers were still have a challenge for most notebook computer users and WinModems reigned within almost every consumer-grade computer.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    06-20-17 08:21 PM
    You can do pretty much everything you can do on a 2017 laptop, including IC design in the same graphical interface...

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 12:59 AM
    You can do pretty much everything you can do on a 2017 laptop, including IC design in the same graphical interface...
    Yes... EVENTUALLY. But, for example, some 4k video that takes me a few hours to render on my PC might take a month or more on a 2002 laptop. Actually, I'm not sure if there is any video editing software that supports 4k video that wouldd run on a 2002 laptop even in Linux - but assuming there is, it would take forever.
    06-21-17 01:00 PM
    BlackBerry will update the PRIV, DTEK50 and 60 to Nougat. Anything otherwise would be a colossal fail and nobody would even buy a licensed version. They are doing very well with monthly patches and just did software for Nougat on the Keyone. Why would they not do so on previous versions? To say the PRIV is old is hilarious as most did not even have one until '16. Old... sheesh. The whole new every year is the biggest scam on consumers EVER. I have and use a 6 year old HP laptop running Windows 10 very well. My vehicles are immaculate but 5 and 6 years old. Shoot my '13 Z10 still does what most people do with a mobile phone. (call, text, message, read news online exceptionally well)
    Haven't got them on my PRIV or either of my DTEK phones and I don't expect to.
    06-21-17 01:12 PM
29 12