Hi everybody,

I think about buying a Blackberry in the US and take it with to Germany (I am here for two month and the exchange rate makes this appealing - by the way, sorry for the bad grammar you are about to discover).

Now I am asking the question, does every mail account works with BIS? I know that the standard accounts (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc.) all work perfectly, but what about other accounts (e.g. my university account)? Can I add every smtp or pop3 mail account on my BIS account? Or are there any exeptions I have to be aware of?

And what about Microsoft Exchange accounts? Can they be added (I mean only mail access, no contacts or calendar syncing)?

Thank you very much for your help. My google search did not give me the answers to these questions?
    Dominic
    03-10-11 08:33 PM
    Any pop3 or smtp email account will work with BIS. I don't know of any exceptions. I use Microsoft Exchange on BES, but I don't know why it would not work on BIS.
    03-10-11 09:00 PM
    You can connect to Microsoft Exchange email through OWA (Outlook Web Access) using BIS.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-10-11 09:23 PM
    I use a GMX account with mine. the email works fine. Calanedar/ Contacts/ file storage don't sync up, but I think that is more on GMX's side than RIM, I wish they would come out with a GMX app for BB. There is about a 10 minute lag between the email hitting my in box, and when it shows up on my phone.
    03-10-11 10:40 PM
    Thanks to all you for answers.

Just that I get it right: All mail-accounts, which are accessible via smtp/pop3, work with BIS but Microsoft Exchange accounts only if they have an outlook web access? But can't I access exchange also via smtp?
    03-11-11 03:15 PM
    Thanks to all you for answers.

Just that I get it right: All mail-accounts, which are accessible via smtp/pop3, work with BIS but Microsoft Exchange accounts only if they have an outlook web access? But can't I access exchange also via smtp?
    SMTP is a server protocol it defines how mail gets sent server to server, the Blackberry by definition is an email client, so it uses client protocols, it IMAP or POP3.
    One more thing --you need to make sure that your carrier offers BIS via OWA, most do, but you should check.
    03-11-11 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD