This is something I've been curious about for a while.

BIS is used as an intermediary for most of the data that whizzes to and from your BlackBerry and it creates compressed versions of said data a lot of the time too.

What I want to know is, does the BIS server (either the part operated by your network or the RIM server in Canada, or perhaps both?) store copies of e-mails, browsing history and such as it compresses them?

I did some research and I found out that BES does not do this but I couldn't get any information about BIS in this respect.

It'd be interesting to know whether or not O2 or RIM has backlogs of all my e-mails stored someplace
    04-16-12 02:28 PM
    It may be possible that it caches some information, in order to make transfers a bit faster. But I doubt that they hold onto personal information very long.
    MADBRADNYC and IAmBBJosh like this.
    04-16-12 05:35 PM
    Well for the new BBM:
    In Options->Third Party Applications->Personalization & Privacy for BBM
    It states that...
    Note: By enabling the option below, usage data that does not personally identify you (including approximate location of your device) may be sent to Research In Motion Limited or its affiliated companies ("RIM") to help improve application performance and design, in accordance with RIM's Privacy Policy available at Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com .

It also asks for permission to apply the same setting to "All Applications".

So, as stated previously, I don't think they keep anything personal, and what little they do keep, is most likely very temporary, just to make improvements on speed and such.
    IAmBBJosh likes this.
    04-16-12 05:53 PM
    That makes sense. Thanks
    04-16-12 06:26 PM
    BTW, just to note, I know for a fact RIM do keep BBM logs for a certain amount of time because the police here were able to request access to them during the London riots last year.
    04-17-12 06:06 AM
    I reckon they do. The conspiracy theorists might say that the NOC outage could have been caused by a govt request leading to logging too much info. As a result of something must be done after the London Riots.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-17-12 06:14 AM
    I reckon they do. The conspiracy theorists might say that the NOC outage could have been caused by a govt request leading to logging too much info. As a result of something must be done after the London Riots.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I doubt the outage was caused by logging but I do think some level of logging happens so that RIM can give information to the police when requested. Not sure if it's just BBM or everything else as well, though. If jonathon94 is right, most of what they do is just caching.

Either way, BBM certainly has some level of logging at RIM's servers.
    04-17-12 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD