The only Google service I couldn't do without on my current Android phone is their mapping/nav apps. As long as BB10's turn by turn navigation is usable, then I wouldn't require Google's. WP8's dilemma is that their Nokia Drive nav is apparently pretty weak. If they fix that, they'll be fine, as will BB10's if theirs is good. As for Google+ nobody uses it, Google Drive < Dropbox, Youtube's mobile website is actually better in my current browser than their glitchy Android app. Gmail and Calender you can replace fairly easily. The only big edge Google has (besides maps and nav) is their new Google Now feature on Android 4, which admittedly is pretty damn cool from what I've seen of it so far.
    12-15-12 04:24 PM
    I think it would be a safe bet to say they wont. If you look at Google's actions against RIM in the past 2 years they have not been very friendly, & this lastest "winter cleaning" where Google went after EVERYONE not using Android shows their current egotistical Apple-esk mindset right now.

Google, what ever happened to "don't be evil"??
    yeah, but if I'm not mistaken the iphone at launch didn't have google maps.
    12-15-12 04:30 PM
    I wrote on the blog page that maybe Google is understanding when folks are standing in the carrier store and they have an Android phone in the left hand and BB10 in their right comparing, and the agent says,"the BlackBerry can do EVERYTHING the Android phone can, it can even run their apps, sync Google Calendars and Contacts, and do EVERYTHING a BlackBerry can do" that maybe that's not so good for Android. I expect the very smart people at Google know that BB10 is going to be a game changer for BB and have made the decision they need their arrows back in the own quiver for the moment.
    12-15-12 04:37 PM
    I wrote on the blog page that maybe Google is understanding when folks are standing in the carrier store and they have an Android phone in the left hand and BB10 in their right comparing, and the agent says,"the BlackBerry can do EVERYTHING the Android phone can, it can even run their apps, sync Google Calendars and Contacts, and do EVERYTHING a BlackBerry can do" that maybe that's not so good for Android. I expect the very smart people at Google know that BB10 is going to be a game changer for BB and have made the decision they need their arrows back in the own quiver for the moment.
    The problem with that theory is that over 90% of Google's revenue is from pure adverstising generated by YOU using their apps like Chrome, Search, Maps, Youtube etc. Surprised? That's right, the Android OS on those phones isn't Google's big cash-cow. Therefore it stands to reason that Google will profit by having those apps on WP8 and BB10. I absolutely believe Google when they say WP8 isn't getting Maps or other Google apps because there's not a big enough userbase. They're basically saying they don't want to spend the man hours developing apps that won't make them enough money.

Based on how they're treating WP8 from a business point of view, you can pretty accurately forecast what Google app BB10 will get. The same and only one WP got: Google Search. I'm guessing that I'm going to be forced to use BB10's native email now with no Gmail or Hotmail apps available, I'll have to pray that Files and Folders access to dropbox is fine when they make their BB10 app, and that BB10's native navigation app turns out to be good. Hopefully it will have a maps app as well and not just nav alone. Of course this means I'll be losing access to all those "pinned" businesses and services with expandable details like hours, phone number etc that are present on Google Maps.
    aha likes this.
    12-15-12 05:40 PM
    What happened to the idea that a phone doesn't need a bazillion apps? That most of the functionality is already built-in?
    alan510 likes this.
    12-15-12 06:52 PM
    Apple messed up their own map software it has nothing to do with one of the best Maps on the market. there is a reason Tom Tom has been around since the beginning of GPS and a reason why their map data was chosen to be used by RIM and Apple
    Only reason they are using them is because TomTom is not affiliated with another phone OS. There is no doubt that here in the North America Navteq has the most up to date maps while TeleAtlas has some of the worse maps. Reason why Garmin is the #1 GPS unit sold also Navteq is owned by Nokia which is Microsoft pretty much.
    Last edited by jstarett; 12-15-12 at 07:11 PM.
    12-15-12 06:54 PM
    RIM has confirmed YouTube support for BlackBerry 10, we will have to wait for January 30th to know about the others.
    12-15-12 07:00 PM
    with exeption of utoob, i am allergic to all things google(although i did switch my default playbook search to google, got tired of bing interrupting my searches to fill out a "capcha", wtf is THAT abt???),,, if they don't wanna go along w/ "10", that just gives devs & r&d that much more room to stretch their legs,,, i see no reason to be afraid of a challenge,,, the less android & whoever else & the more bb independent, the more i like it,,, to fill the vacuum w/ rim & rim friendlies only makes for a stronger base...
    shaleem likes this.
    12-15-12 07:57 PM
    yeah, but if I'm not mistaken the iphone at launch didn't have google maps.
    You're mistaken.
    12-15-12 07:59 PM
    Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing too. Hopefully BlackBerry will gain enough marketshare with BB10 that Google, Microsoft, ect, will want to get in on the BlackBerry part of the pie.
    you bring up an interesting point,,, if rim goes balls deep & wins, they'll be lining up to get on the ride...
    12-15-12 08:05 PM
    You're mistaken.
    sorry my bad ment to say iphone 5.
    12-15-12 08:12 PM
    PlayBook and BB10 already support CalDav and CardDav, allowing them to sync Gmail, calendar and contacts from Google. There is a YouTube app for PlayBook, and maps using Google Maps. Google might not be creating the apps themselves, but support for their ecosystem is already under way.
    Thunderbuck and jakie55 like this.
    12-15-12 08:50 PM
    sorry my bad ment to say iphone 5.
    & look at how that worked for them
    12-15-12 08:52 PM
    BlackBerry has youtube. I currently use Bing maps and BlackBerry maps. Other than that, 99.99% of the time i am going someplace I have been before. Google is flexing their muscle in the hopes that they have built "brand loyalty." We will see how loyal people are.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Even if I used Google products every day and was a die hard, I refuse to support companies that pull moves like this in hopes of "brand loyalty". I wish more people will stand firm and send a message to companies like Google that we don't need them, they need us. I survived just fine before Google ever existed. Google can not survive without customers.
    12-15-12 08:59 PM
    If RIM removes the block on signing into a Google account on Android apps and allows side loading in the official builds on BB10, that's all we need to solve this dilemma. We don't actually need Google's approval to side load and run its applications on BB10 unofficially, we need RIM to allow the installation of applications from unknown sources (possibly in developer mode) , ...at least for a short amount of time after launch?
    12-16-12 12:19 AM
    IMO, without google BB10 doesn't have much of a chance. But I believe Google will have apps for BB10. Windows Phone is different. Google probably see them as a threat as windows have a browser, maps and a search engine that can compete with them.
    12-16-12 12:26 AM
    IMO, without google BB10 doesn't have much of a chance. But I believe Google will have apps for BB10. Windows Phone is different. Google probably see them as a threat as windows have a browser, maps and a search engine that can compete with them.
    Sorry I giggled on this...I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. RIM can survive without them. Right now the benchmarks for BB10 browser is the best in the game... RIM is creating their own maps. Will it be as good as googles probably not but with it and blackberry traffic I have a feeling it will be close... Search yeah google is the king of searching but thats about it.
    12-16-12 01:53 AM
    I think it sucks if one corporation gets to decide which of its competitors get a shot at success.
    12-16-12 02:37 AM
    I think it sucks if one corporation gets to decide which of its competitors get a shot at success.
    I think that's what they call competition. Let's make no mistake about it - there's a global war in mobile going on. The walled gardens, as other OPs have mentioned, is one sign of attempts to make this a winner take all battle. SILICON VALLEY wants to monopolize the mobile market pure and simple. They want to destroy their competition as much as they can. They want to create MUST HAVE experiences and apps then keep both away from their competitors. With BlackBerry, the 3 main American platforms see an opportunity here to snuff out one of their competitors and they will do whatever it takes to do it. If that works, watch the top two go after Microsoft. Personally I don't use or need their Google's bloody apps but I know that millions, including many on this forum do. I support BlackBerry because I want choice as a consumer. Choice brings innovation and benefits us. So I will stick with BlackBerry Traffic, Maps and whatever else they offer. I hope BB10 has those Google products and the Instagrams and the Netflix and the Skypes for those that want them. After all, it's ammunition that can be used in global ecosystem battle. But if they are not there it won't be BlackBerry's fault; it will simply part of the campaign to undermine and eliminate a competitor. People will have to decide what side they are on. I have made my choice which is to choose diversity in the mobile world and say no to a Silicon Valley monopoly.
    12-16-12 03:24 AM
    Sorry I giggled on this

RIM can survive without them.
    Hope you are right

Will it be as good as googles probably not but with it and blackberry traffic I have a feeling it will be close...
    see, even if it ends up being better than google maps, people from other platforms will be very very reluctant to switch to BB10 with no google maps
    12-16-12 03:31 AM
    I aint a techie, could you please direct me to a layman instructions or provide them for sideloading gmaps and some other apps,

thanks
    12-16-12 03:39 AM
    The problem with that theory is that over 90% of Google's revenue is from pure adverstising generated by YOU using their apps like Chrome, Search, Maps, Youtube etc. Surprised? That's right, the Android OS on those phones isn't Google's big cash-cow. Therefore it stands to reason that Google will profit by having those apps on WP8 and BB10. I absolutely believe Google when they say WP8 isn't getting Maps or other Google apps because there's not a big enough userbase. They're basically saying they don't want to spend the man hours developing apps that won't make them enough money.

Based on how they're treating WP8 from a business point of view, you can pretty accurately forecast what Google app BB10 will get. The same and only one WP got: Google Search. I'm guessing that I'm going to be forced to use BB10's native email now with no Gmail or Hotmail apps available, I'll have to pray that Files and Folders access to dropbox is fine when they make their BB10 app, and that BB10's native navigation app turns out to be good. Hopefully it will have a maps app as well and not just nav alone. Of course this means I'll be losing access to all those "pinned" businesses and services with expandable details like hours, phone number etc that are present on Google Maps.
    Not at all surprised I understand what you are saying. But I also know that Google has and will continue to pour a large amount of money into Android. I have been watching as Google sold 1 million Nexus 7 tablets in December, estimates were that they would sell 5 million from launch to the end of the year and it appears they might have to raise that number now, and have sold an awful lot of Nexus 4 phones which now show as sold out on the Play Store, and the Nexus 10 tablets are currently sold out on the Play Store site, and I expect to see them try their hands at more now that they have had some success.

Its certainly not Google's major focus, but I am certain they like that Android is currently #1 as it guarantees the access to the eyeballs you mentioned in your post.

I am certain they have done a costing consideration on what they perceive WP8 and BB10 will do and they have come to the decision that this is the right thing to do. We will see if they continue to believe that I guess.
    12-16-12 10:19 AM
    Anyone know if Eric Schmidt still uses a BlackBerry?
    12-16-12 10:36 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only thing google stated they were dropping was the Active sync support for GMail. They haven't had maps for BB for a while now. I've used Google Maps almost as a default for years until I used my Bing Maps on my PlayBook.... Wow is it ever crisp!! Far superior to Google when zoomed in, and the coverage is larger (could zoom in on my cottage, in northern Ontario, extremely close with great definition whereas Google is extremely blurry when zoomed in). I guess what I'm saying is, is there really any difference to what we have now? Yes, BB10 has a chance without Google.
    12-16-12 10:41 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only thing google stated they were dropping was the Active sync support for GMail. They haven't had maps for BB for a while now. I've used Google Maps almost as a default for years until I used my Bing Maps on my PlayBook.... Wow is it ever crisp!! Far superior to Google when zoomed in, and the coverage is larger (could zoom in on my cottage, in northern Ontario, extremely close with great definition whereas Google is extremely blurry when zoomed in). I guess what I'm saying is, is there really any difference to what we have now? Yes, BB10 has a chance without Google.
    The gist of the argument is that there is a suite of popular Google apps available for Android and iOS, but not for WP and BB. The author of the article doubts the success of WP because of the lack of these apps. The OP is asking whether the same applies to RIM.
    12-16-12 10:54 AM
68 123