Anyone knows? I've been trying to find info on this but can't find anything with Audi autonomous drive and QNX in the same article.
    01-08-13 02:32 PM
    I would assume so. Audi MMI uses QNX
    01-08-13 02:38 PM
    I would assume so. Audi MMI uses QNX
    That's what I thought but I need physical evidence to convince a BB hater friend.
    01-08-13 03:11 PM
    01-08-13 03:23 PM
    Harman (original owners of QNX) demoed their new auto system running on Android! So, it seems like QNX is going to see a lot of competition!
    01-08-13 03:47 PM
    >>Harman (original owners of QNX) demoed their new auto system running on Android! So, it seems like QNX is going to see a lot of competition!

Android on the front-end but all QNX on the back-end.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-08-13 04:27 PM
    I have been following QNX at CES. It's worth taking a look at their tweets. There was a round table yesterday about future infotainment and related systems such as autonomous driving. It seems there is growing concern about Android reliability for in car systems and some talk about the US government taking an increasingly dim view of distracted driving. There seems to be a growing divide been what Android/Google/consumers might want and governments who demand safety first. And don't forget that unlike phones, cars and drivers are heavily regulated by government. So you can bet if government thinks it's unsafe, it's not going to happen.
    01-08-13 05:39 PM
    Harman (original owners of QNX) demoed their new auto system running on Android! So, it seems like QNX is going to see a lot of competition!
    The same Android who an independent evaluator said "Should stick to mobile phones and tablets" when comparing it to Microsoft and QNX?

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-08-13 08:26 PM
    The same Android who an independent evaluator said "Should stick to mobile phones and tablets" when comparing it to Microsoft and QNX?
    Yeah, the same! lol
    That said, it's a good idea to keep an eye on competition. Specially, somebody backed by as formidable as Google. RIM dropped the ball once already (when iPhone and Android launched, they underestimated them) and RIM is still recovering! Let's not repeat that.
    01-08-13 10:09 PM
    Don't really thin BB dropped the ball, they saw the potential in QNX and in less than 2. years have developed a brand new OS. Sure it didn't time well with market conditions but they have actually moved pretty fast.
    Just Me and JR A like this.
    01-08-13 10:24 PM
    Storm 1 and 2 were dropping the ball.

BB10/QNX was right on time. (figuratively speaking)

*waits for the jabs about BB10 launch delay*
    01-08-13 11:31 PM
    Don't really thin BB dropped the ball, they saw the potential in QNX and in less than 2. years have developed a brand new OS. Sure it didn't time well with market conditions but they have actually moved pretty fast.
    They moved pretty fast AFTER having already dropped the ball once. When iPhone 2G was launched, RIM didn't really do much to compete with it until it was too late. Then they tried to play catch-up with Storm, Playbook (original os) etc. Meanwhile, Android started to gain prominence and has now surprassed iPhone as well.
    Storm 1 and 2 were dropping the ball.
    BB10/QNX was right on time. (figuratively speaking)
    This!

Point is - let's not underestimate the competition. If Harman + Android is doing something for automobiles, let's keep an eye on it and ensure (hope) RIM out-does them.
    01-09-13 09:01 AM
    You guys are missing the largest piece of the puzzle. RIM owns this end to end, infrastructure, QNX embedded systems, tablets, phones, and a way to manage it all. No one else comes close to this at this time. Just because you layer Android on top doesnt change that. RIM also has an SDK available to take their HTML5 apps and push them cross platform, not just an app that "ties in" to the car, but the SAME application in your car, on your phone, and on your tablet. Also being able to use BES 10, or a similar consumer system, to push updates to your car, manage it securely, perhaps track a stolen vehicle, etc.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    01-09-13 09:06 AM
    You guys are missing the largest piece of the puzzle. RIM owns this end to end, infrastructure, QNX embedded systems, tablets, phones, and a way to manage it all. No one else comes close to this at this time. Just because you layer Android on top doesnt change that.
    It's true. But Google has a massive data center. So does Amazon. They manage massive amounts of networking data on their infrastructure including YouTube and NetFlix. Yes, right now, RIM's NOC, security have an advantage here (I am not saying otherwise). I am saying, let's not ignore the competition that's coming up.
    01-09-13 09:15 AM
    It's true. But Google has a massive data center. So does Amazon. They manage massive amounts of networking data on their infrastructure including YouTube and NetFlix. Yes, right now, RIM's NOC, security have an advantage here (I am not saying otherwise). I am saying, let's not ignore the competition that's coming up.
    Oh no, you should never ignore competition, and always assume that someone is going to come for you. But Google and Amazon, while they handle a ton of traffic, dont have the tie ins that RIM does with carrier networks. RIM has been doing this a very long time (and passes many PB, that is petabytes, of data a month), has great carrier partners, and even does billing through them. Imaging, if you will, having a 4G LTE vehicle, with app world (as the QNX concept cars do), where you can purchase apps, do recurring monthly billing, etc, all from your carrier at 4G LTE speeds. The QNX "car of the future" demo video that was posted on the main page, is not far off in MANY aspects. Sure we dont have autonomous driving, or smart windshields, but the rest can be done.
    01-09-13 09:18 AM
    Oh no, you should never ignore competition, and always assume that someone is going to come for you. But Google and Amazon, while they handle a ton of traffic, dont have the tie ins that RIM does with carrier networks. RIM has been doing this a very long time (and passes many PB, that is petabytes, of data a month), has great carrier partners, and even does billing through them. Imaging, if you will, having a 4G LTE vehicle, with app world (as the QNX concept cars do), where you can purchase apps, do recurring monthly billing, etc, all from your carrier at 4G LTE speeds. The QNX "car of the future" demo video that was posted on the main page, is not far off in MANY aspects. Sure we dont have autonomous driving, or smart windshields, but the rest can be done.
    With regards to autonomous car: Google has been developing that technology for a while and they have made it nearly road-ready! They even lobbied hard and got it legalized in Neveda. Never know which direction competition might come from.

Agree with you on RIM's strengths. Just need to make sure that RIM continues to be a leader in that area.
    01-09-13 09:26 AM
    I for one can't wait for an autonomous car! My commute can be hellacious & I'd love nothing more to just read a book while my car drives me! lol!
    01-09-13 10:00 AM
    I for one can't wait for an autonomous car! My commute can be hellacious & I'd love nothing more to just read a book while my car drives me! lol!
    Same! Plus, we can afford to live cheaper (live in suburbs, car will self-drive, so somewhat longer commute to work will become non-issue), better utilize road capacity, de-congest core, better utilize parking and what not!
    01-09-13 11:17 AM
    Same! Plus, we can afford to live cheaper (live in suburbs, car will self-drive, so somewhat longer commute to work will become non-issue), better utilize road capacity, de-congest core, better utilize parking and what not!
    The Gov't - at least the ones here, will find a way to screw that up that's for sure!
    01-09-13 11:39 AM
    Agree! For Android to even be considered to run a vehicle they have to pass:
    Functional safety requirements
    Certification requirements

they will never get the certification, and are just promoting an app or their new sound system, its not a big deal really.
    01-09-13 11:47 AM