I'm just wondering, does anyone besides me not like OS 6? I'm sure it's fine and might allow for more data and all for my Bold 9650, but I think that the trackball has too much freedom. Maybe it's just me, but the way it's laid out is too confusing, or maybe I'm just a stickler for the "olden days" of OS 5, which is why I went back to OS 5. I guess I've just been able to roll the trackball to the left or to the right on my homescreen to get to some of my folders (mine would be contacts on the left, calendar on the right) as much as I want to without a fear of it going far away from contacts or calendar. I just think the trackball is too loose in OS 6. I'll try OS 7 when it comes out, but hopefully when the new Blackberries come out for Verizon later this year, I'll be able to revert back to OS 5 if I don't like OS 7. I'm pitiful, aren't I, but as a creature of structure, routine, and habit, I guess old habits die hard! Let me hear what you guys think. Thanks.
    05-28-11 03:21 AM
    Just so you're aware, any device that comes out with OS6 or OS7 installed natively won't be able to be downgraded to OS5.

With that said, OS6 is more "touchscreen-friendly" in its design. Navigating can be a bit of a pain with those multiple homescreen tabs. OS7 will offer an option to enable/disable the various screens to the point where you can reduce it to just the one screen with all the apps (like OS5).

For the mean time, have you considered using a theme? By using a theme, you can replicate the feel of OS5 without having to lose the webkit browser and other OS6 features.
    05-28-11 03:32 AM
    What's the deal with the theme? Will that stop the trackball from rolling like a touch screen. For the record, I've never been a fan of touchscreens. In the meantime, I'll probably stay with OS5 unless you can tell me exactly how to get the OS6 to not be so touchscreen-like.

ps: what's a webkit browser? If it's the browser that was on OS6 that would kindof search instead going directly to the webpage I wanted to go to, I don't like that either.

I'm old-school, from the Blackberry "projects." ha
    05-28-11 03:46 AM
    What's the deal with the theme? Will that stop the trackball from rolling like a touch screen. For the record, I've never been a fan of touchscreens. In the meantime, I'll probably stay with OS5 unless you can tell me exactly how to get the OS6 to not be so touchscreen-like.

ps: what's a webkit browser? If it's the browser that was on OS6 that would kindof search instead going directly to the webpage I wanted to go to, I don't like that either.

I'm old-school, from the Blackberry "projects." ha
    Oh so you're talking about the "kinetic" scrolling? Personally, I don't notice much of a difference from my last non-touchscreen device. For that, the only suggestion is to adjust the sensitivity settings in the options menu.

As for the webkit browser, essentially it's a layout browser that renders webpages more quickly than the traditional OS5 browser. Other improvements in the browser include tabs. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you're talking about searching instead of going directly to webpages: if you type in a URL or click on a bookmark, it should go directly to the website. However, if you type in a phrase or a couple words in the URL box (with spaces and no .com on the end), the phone will perform a Google search.

To answer your original question, I like OS6. The only thing I dislike about it are the multiple home screen tabs. That issue will be resolved in OS7.
    05-28-11 04:02 AM
    I've only ever had OS6 because I'm new to BB and I have a 9780. But I have used the older OS on my friends' BBs and I have to say, I definitely like the look and feel of OS 6 better. The trackpad can be a little annoying, even if you reduce its sensitivity but you have to keep in mind that the OS was initially designed for touch-screen and so moving around will naturally be a little bit of a problem, but it's a small price to pay. I at least got used to the trackpad quite easily. And overall OS 6 feels a lot less clunky than OS 5.
    And I surf the internet on my phone a lot, so there's no way I'd even consider giving up the browser on my OS 6 for the one on OS 5. Enabling shortcuts makes the browser even quicker and easier to use. Only problem is it's a little buggy at times (like the cursor getting stuck) but then again, I just close and open the browser and be a LITTLE careful with how I move the cursor and that always solves it.

Personally I don't like the universal search feature either. But if using the trackpad really annoys you so much then you should try getting used to that feature, because it'll definitely reduce your dependence on the trackpad.

And then of course, you could always get a theme

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 04:26 AM
    I went back and forth a few times but eventually settled on OS6. It's definitely better.

05-28-11 05:26 AM
    I like OS6 better than any version I have used. However I do have a theme on it now, but I still like having my touch screen there.
    05-28-11 06:02 AM
    I like os 6. I've become dependant on Universal search. It makes things so much easier and quicker. Just type the first few letters of whatever you want to do and it shows up on the screen almost like magic.

I don't even know what menu and sub-menu most things are located in anymore.

I really like the tabs on the webkit browser. I do miss true collumn view though. The zoom/word wrap feature is useable but not a good IMO.

I may be in the minority, but I like the trays on the home screen. I only make use of 3 of them and am looking foreward to being able to turn off the unused ones in os7. I don't have a problem with scrolling to the wrong tray. Just tap the end key and you automatically go back to the all tray.

05-28-11 06:26 AM
    Love OS6!!! I have a Torch and it's perfect.
    Love universal search and the webit browser. It's certainly better than OS5 and I prefer it to the Bolt that I used to use on OS5, since I hated the BB browser.
    Frankly, for the time being, I don't see myself moving away from BB.
    I know there are some who hate this, but it does what I want it to do in the way I want it done. It's simply perfect for me. Tried others, they can't beat my BB!
    05-28-11 07:05 AM
    I'm just fine with OSix. I already had my QuickLaunch set up for what I do the most, and for that, I don't really even have to think much about how I use all of my favorite stuff. The only gripe I've really had was the loss of AutoText entries, now corrected with a simple and effective app.

I also have my trays simplified, and cleaned up quite a bit, which helps when I use them.

05-28-11 07:31 AM
    I love OS 6, but I'm using a torch and like someone else stated, OS 6 is more designed with touchscreen in mind. I also didn't even have a device running OS5. My last device ran OS4.5 or something like that. It was the curve 8330 and I think I upgraded my phones before it even got OS5.
    05-28-11 09:22 AM
    I don't care for OS6 to much on the curve 3G (9330) the theme is to cramped and yes I know you can get themes for it to fixed that, but to me its still just to much on this little screen.. I love my Curve 3G though and even more with OS5! 5 just works wonders for me, much cleaner and simpler than 6! 6 to me looks and performs much better on the torch and looks like up coming devices touch screen for example.. But on the 9330 its not worth putting OS6 on it.. Feels cramped and lags, browser is horrible and font is really tiny in universal search mode you can barely see anything.. IMO

05-28-11 11:58 AM
    It took some getting used to...there seems to be more icons,floating around and them free games im not into ...once I hide all the junk I dont use I got used to it
    05-28-11 12:03 PM
    I love OS 6. The browser is great and so are the search functions.
    05-28-11 12:03 PM
    If you download the most stable version of OS6 (for you specific device), you should be good.
    OS6 works perfect on my Bold 9650!
    05-28-11 12:05 PM
    I like Jlarkin's response. Maybe it just isn't designed for my Bold 9650. After all, I keep seeing a repetition in these replies, and that's that it's more designed for touchscreen, which I do not have. Hopefully the new Blackberry that's coming out that will have a full QWERTY keyboard will have some of those issues resolved on OS7, but we shall see.
    05-28-11 12:34 PM
    I keep seeing a repetition in these replies, and that's that it's more designed for touchscreen...
    And I'll repeat that too

OS6 is nice enough, it's just awkward (for me) to navigate with a trackpad. So I "downgraded" to OS5
    05-28-11 02:20 PM
    And I'll repeat that too

OS6 is nice enough, it's just awkward (for me) to navigate with a trackpad. So I "downgraded" to OS5
    I did the same 2-3 times but every time I would miss some features of OS6 and kept coming back.

05-28-11 02:23 PM
    i like it way better than OS5
    05-28-11 02:39 PM
    I like it. But honestly, it's not much different than anything previous.

Definitely hyped prior to release, but pretty underwhelming if you ask me.
    05-28-11 03:59 PM
    If you install an os5 type theme like this one

http://forums.crackberry.com/f227/free-simple-zen-6-1-icon-theme-v2-0-9700-9780-9650-a-602406/

You get the look and feel of os5 with all the new features of os6

Won't help if your device runs poor on os6 though. Mine seems to run just as good or better, but some people have had the opposite experience.

05-28-11 05:48 PM
    BB 6 is great. Not going back to OS5.

05-28-11 07:55 PM
    I appreciate everyone's comments, but I think I'll wait for OS7, hopefully they'll have a few of the bugs worked out by then. Verizon is supposed to be releasing one, maybe two Blackberries later this year, so I'll wait until they come out and buy a new one.
    05-29-11 06:01 PM
    i only stuck with os6 for the browser but the opera mini came out and bye bye os6.
    i like my column view of my os5 and os5 seems to be snappier than os6 on my bold. scrolling seems smoother and i got aggravated with the checker browser.
    05-29-11 07:20 PM
    Only reason folks wouldn't like os6 is due to not liking change period.

Os6 is so more user friendly and what not...heck I am using an older version of it and have yet to try another theme and perfectly content.

Old saying, "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind.

Me, you couldn't pay me to go back to os5.
    05-30-11 03:10 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD