-It let people know blackberry still exists
    -that they have a new touch screen phone with so many features, that they cannot list them in 30 seconds
    -the ad didn't take itself too seriously, so an attempt to change blackberry's image as stuffy and corporate.

Now, if the next ads SHOW the features, then this ad was a success, IMO.

If not, then this was another lost opportunity.
    zyben likes this.
    02-03-13 08:12 PM
    Love how people are blaming the ****-factor on the power outage.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    02-03-13 08:14 PM
    i am guessing that in Canada there was a "pre" Superbowl ad that Americans didn't get to see?
    02-03-13 08:15 PM
    You wouldn't be happy if money and Z10s rained from the sky.
    Money yes...Z10...maybe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    02-03-13 08:17 PM
    The commercial was just okay. The Pre Super Bowl BlackBerry commercial was much better. They should have just used that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Should have used this one:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pre...l-hits-youtube

02-03-13 08:19 PM
    i think i am going to buy a Ford F-150, i am hypnotized by the Canadian ads
    02-03-13 08:19 PM
    Oh? and what could Blackberry show in 30 seconds that would immediately make you want to buy the phone?
    Anything really. The point is they needed to concentrate on the fact that this isn't the same old Blackberry that most hate.

The Z10 doesn't have any WOW factor, but just to show that it competes with the iPhone/Android devices will help change their image of selling outdated devices.

People saw 2 seconds of the phone - so right now most STILL think Blackberries are outdated devices.
    richardat likes this.
    02-03-13 08:20 PM
    I don't know, but if they decided to show off the phone... it'll be straightforwardly more boring and kinda out of place. I prefer the weird approach as it will be more memorable than being technical.
    wrusprod likes this.
    02-03-13 08:24 PM
    Being "good" and "memorable" is fine, but what Blackberry needs is to be informative.

The name "Blackberry" is dead in the US and simply having a funny/creative/memorable commercial doesn't help people think differently about their products.
    They need to see that it's not the same old Blackberry device they're used to.

They don't have to dedicate all 30 seconds to showing features, but they do need to some a few things... even if it's only 15 seconds.

Other companies can be creative and have the commercial geared more towards branding, Blackberry needs to sell an actual product and change their mindshare people have of them.

Sadly, I suspect Blackberry will be going about this the wrong way and it will be a failed opportunity.
    +1000000000000

This was awful....absolutely awful. I couldn't have imagined a bigger failure from a marketing perspective. Your post is dead-on. This type of commercial could work for as a general affirmation of brand aura for a well-reputed, highly-visible brand. For RIM......this....I just don't have words. So bad. So bad....
    OMGitworks likes this.
    02-03-13 08:28 PM
    I'm a blackberry fan and I thought the add sucked - to me it wasn' t just odd, it was stupid...
    ...This is a good thing because I think RIM didn't design this add for BB fans.
    ...It created it for their former sheep - I hope it works.
    02-03-13 08:30 PM
    Right...not the black sheep but the isheep, winsheep and the ansheep. Keep thinking yourself superior
    02-03-13 08:35 PM
    Being "good" and "memorable" is fine, but what Blackberry needs is to be informative.

The name "Blackberry" is dead in the US and simply having a funny/creative/memorable commercial doesn't help people think differently about their products.
    They need to see that it's not the same old Blackberry device they're used to.

They don't have to dedicate all 30 seconds to showing features, but they do need to some a few things... even if it's only 15 seconds.

Other companies can be creative and have the commercial geared more towards branding, Blackberry needs to sell an actual product and change their mindshare people have of them.

Sadly, I suspect Blackberry will be going about this the wrong way and it will be a failed opportunity.
    I disagree. The ad is informative insofar as it conveys that Blackberry has a new phone (which incidentally looks nothing like what most people associate with a Blackberry). It would have been extremely difficult to convey the key features of the phone in 30 seconds. There are far better avenues for Blackberry to be informative. I'd love to see someone try and come up with a 30-second video that effectively communicates the Blackberry Hub, Flow, Blackberry Keyboard, BBM, and Time Shift Camera.

Some of the best television ads don't tell you much about the product but they do a great job of telling a story and/or creating brand awareness.
    02-03-13 08:46 PM
    Should have used this one:

Must watch BlackBerry Pre-Super Bowl Commercial hits Youtube! | CrackBerry.com

02-03-13 09:16 PM
    I think they missed a good opportunity...
    02-03-13 09:26 PM
    Im afraid to say, but this ad will end up on the worst super bowl ads list. It was not good to say the least. Missed opportunity and did nothing for setting a positive tone for the new BlackBerry image/brand. Disappointing.
    02-03-13 09:27 PM
    Yeah I'd watched that if I had insomnia.
    02-03-13 09:31 PM
    Just saw the galaxy commercial...much better. Showcasing features yet was funny
    02-03-13 09:32 PM
    Meh. I was like "that's the ad?". The Samsung was Meh and too long.

But.... My wife turned to me and said after the bb comercial.... "I want one, when can I get it?". So maybe I'm wrong.
    02-03-13 10:02 PM
    If anyone follows BB on twitter.....they said that was the ONLY time that commercial will be aired. Ever. From now on it's the Moving Forward project or whatever and that is completely dedicated to showing what the phone can do. So, I think today's ad was perfectly fine, accomplished what it needed and even though we have mixed reviews, from what I've seen, many people enjoyed it.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-03-13 10:17 PM
    Seems the BB ad is ranked #1. Let's give it a bigger lead
    Super Bowl Commercials from Feb. 3, 2013 - NFL.com
    cjcampbell and donmateo like this.
    02-03-13 10:29 PM
    the Globe&Mail says the ad was inspired by Fantastic Four, Marvel comic book characters....
    02-03-13 10:33 PM
    the Globe&Mail says the ad was inspired by Fantastic Four, Marvel comic book characters....
    I don't recall any of them being able to teleport, And i don't think i ever saw a rubber ducky.
    02-03-13 10:40 PM
    +1000000000000

This was awful....absolutely awful. I couldn't have imagined a bigger failure from a marketing perspective. Your post is dead-on. This type of commercial could work for as a general affirmation of brand aura for a well-reputed, highly-visible brand. For RIM......this....I just don't have words. So bad. So bad....
    Others disagree, which is why they hired a great marketing man. nfl.com voters have put the commercial at a #1 rating.
    02-03-13 10:40 PM
    It was okay, I also like Samsung's ad (love Rogan/Rudd), but I must have one of the Budweiser game synced goal lights for my rec room. After all we all know hockey is a far better sport and those things look wicked awesome.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    02-03-13 10:41 PM
    you know what, I think it was actually a quite clever ad. I watched it the first time and was like "what?" and didn't really get much from it but I just re-watched it and I think they're kind of poking fun at the competitors without being straight forward about it. One was the first "weird" thing of the guy catching on fire is something that wouldn't happen on Z10 (as opposed to those reports before about the BB "blowing up" or that one time it was reported that an iPhone or something caught fire), and the one where he disappears in a poof of colourful clouds and ends up in the pothole to poke fun at Apple maps because he ended up where he didn't want to be. This is all of course IMO.
    02-03-13 10:46 PM
108 ... 2345