So what changes will there be to the browser on os 5.0?

The integration of the standard browser is good but its slow as ****. Opera and bolt are both a lot faster for me but they aren't as easy to use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Improved UI, tabbed browsing, faster and better javascript engine as well as google gears support. And it fixes the word wrap issue

09-05-09 10:42 AM
    I don't think the browser is bad, it does need work tho to improve but its pretty decent...I jus rather use Bolt browser instead lol
    09-05-09 10:52 AM
    I use the BB browser, it's alright it does what I need! I tried opera on my flip I didn't like it, it was much better on my 8830.
    09-05-09 10:55 AM
    I use opera only because the native browser won't load 2 sites that I need to access for work. Other than that I like BB Browser just fine. They both work for the kind of light browsing you need to do on the go.

09-05-09 11:23 AM
    lol you don't really use your browser ? yet give such a opinion? Well you go ahead and enjoy that great iphone. At&t can stick in in there arse. Those people treat there customers like crap. And the service is way to much $$$ plus the fact there responsce to any problem you may have basicly is "oh well". I liked my iphone but apple thinks they can go ahead and charge you for everything. And yeah i jailbroke mine, and it was nice for awhile till all the sudden everything disappeared !!! all my contacts and apps. No you go ahead and deal with that company and phone . We'll see a post from you down the road whining about it. I'll go ahead and keep using this curve 8330 which is much more pleasent to have. The bb browser is for sure a good browser for a phone .

There is a difference between "never" and "don't really" browse. So I'm not sure why I can't give an opinion in the way that I did.

I've had them for 4+ years. Never an issue. I had those issues with pricing (Verizon) and being treated like crap (Verizon & Sprint), but not with AT&T. I don't remember the last time I saw Sprint have a + in subscribers, so I'm sure the service isn't top notch.

If you really think the browser is good, you must only go to mobile optimized sites. I don't use the mobile version of CrackBerry on my iPhone... no need. This is the reason Android and WebOS are following in the footsteps of Apple and not RIM. Heck, this is why RIM stated they're going in that direction as well.
    09-05-09 11:33 AM
    Guys, last night I was ashamed of the native browser...

My friends and I were trying to check a video on youtube, and I tried look it up on my Curve 8900... I have it really up to date (4.6 most recent T-Mo firmware), but as you may know, it didnt work... My network was fine, plenty of signal, but sorry, no donut for me.

I also have the Bolt Browser, which is a great one, but for streaming, he switches back to the native BB Browser... And a big fail comes to me...

By the way, our little issue was solved with a really old Nokia cellphone, one of the first models to have real player on it. Great one, RIM...

I hope that now, after buying the manufactors of Opera they decide to ramp up this browser...

Cheers, mates!!
    09-05-09 11:44 AM
    Apart from my school websites (which I use Bolt for) I generally stick with the native browser. Yes, I tend to stick with the mobile optimized sites, but this is because I am on a mobile phone and there is no need to wait for a full website to load. For what I need, the native BlackBerry browser is mostly all that I need.

09-05-09 12:35 PM
    I really like the native Browser.

When I am out and a question comes up, Google is always right there and the content is clearly presented without a lot of adds cluttering up the screen.

I couldn't care less about YouTube or anything that uses Flash content.

It is all about function, it works and it works well.
    I couldn't have said it better. I really like the fact that the BB browser will automatically shoot you over to the mobile version of any website that you go to if there is one available. They load faster, look cleaner, and just work alot better than trying to load the entire regular web page on your BB, that's why it's called a MOBILE version of the site. I don't want to have to click and zoom into a page just to hunt down and click a link. I'm still using an 8330, and it will make me slightly nervous when it comes to upgrade time how using a newer browser will work... Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!
    09-05-09 01:04 PM
    For actual internet browsing, facebook and myspace I prefer opera mini. I don't like mobile view of most web pages. Crackberry and phone downloads I use native browser. To each his/her own
    09-05-09 01:36 PM
    I use an iPhone now so I'm spoiled by a great browser. But with the BB I never really had a problem with it. It's functional enough and to me a full web browser looks better on a bigger LCD. I couldn't stand opera mini or bolt.
    09-05-09 01:44 PM
    My BB is a tool. Quick and reliable messaging that is as secure as it gets for a mobile device. I believe the simplicity of the browser is perfect. I can always use my laptop for hefty browsing.

09-05-09 01:45 PM
    Everyone critizes RIM's browser, but as I use my bold over 3G to type this the blackberry browser does exactly what I need it to. The 5.0 update fixes whatever I don't like about the 4.6 browser. If there is something that I need to do that doesn't work that's what I have my netbook for. Does anybody agree with me?

I really enjoyy the browser on my Bold. It does everthing I need it to do and more. I only surf mobile sites and for that, the BB browser is pewrfect. I like the functionality of it as well. The shortcuts are easy and practical. I have no complaints about the browser. I have used Opera and Bolt browsers and neither are better than the BB browser. Opera mini doesn't even show all of the pictures on a web page. The Bolt browser uses a font that I don't care for and there isn't a shortcut key to zoom in and out.

09-05-09 02:18 PM
    The default browser imo is not as good as opera mini, i prefer opera mini when i using my bold.

But overall, the google phone g1's browser craps all over blackberry browsers, no more tired thumbs from scrolling up and down a webpage with the trackball, just simply use your fingers to drag, i hope blackberry comes up with a touchscreen AND qwerty keyboard phone at some point!!
    09-05-09 02:20 PM
    I much prefer Opera Mini on my USCC 8330m. It is much faster. The BB browser goes on forever...requesting...requesting...requesting...p rocessing...processing...processing. It is very slow compared to Opera. YMMV.
    09-05-09 02:31 PM
    IMO Opera Mini is amazing for the BB. Especially the Storm and it's not even optimized for it. In fact I'm on OM right now. =]

09-05-09 03:07 PM
    I cant lie, I like the browser on my Storm.
    09-05-09 03:10 PM
    with my first BB (an 8820), i opted to use Opera instead of the BB browser. now on my third BB (8900), i have gone back to using the one provided by RIM. not too many problems per se, just isnt the best. browsing isnt where BBs excel, but i cant complain. one feature i would really like to see is multipage/tabbed browsing. does the Storm offer that?
    09-05-09 03:20 PM
    The default browser is the only browser I have ever used on my 8330 and no problem watching you tube vids either .The Blackberry browser So far has done everything I wanted it to and worked on all the sites I have been to with it

09-05-09 05:09 PM
    The BB browser is good when the site you want has a mobile stylesheet. But everything else, the browser does a poor job at using the screen.

The feature set on the BB browser is good, but I think there are some flaws...more like annoyances.

It gets the job done 99% of the time though.
    09-05-09 07:20 PM
    Everyone critizes RIM's browser, but as I use my bold over 3G to type this the blackberry browser does exactly what I need it to. The 5.0 update fixes whatever I don't like about the 4.6 browser. If there is something that I need to do that doesn't work that's what I have my netbook for. Does anybody agree with me?

I agree with the others... Opera Mini is definitely the way to go for speed. Page scrolling is faster and more efficient with Opera Mini than with RIM's BB browser.
    09-05-09 07:42 PM
    I love the bb browser on my 8900. I don't even use opera mini.

09-05-09 10:43 PM
    I like the BB browser and Opera Mini. I tried the Bolt browser, but it was slower than a snail, so I uninstalled it.

09-05-09 10:50 PM
    I'm more of a BB browser fan with my Tour...on my Curve, it teetered between tolerable and aggravating.

But as others have said, Safari on the iPhone (or in my case, iPod Touch) is far superior. Relatively speaking, BB browser is downright antiquated in comparison. Even if its a year away, RIM's move to a Webkit browser signals light at the end of the tunnel.
    09-05-09 10:53 PM
    For the browsing I do on my BB, the default browser gets the job done, especially with the Google app installed. Do I hope for a better browser down the road? Yup...but for now, all the browsing I need on the go, I can do just fine without adding anything else to my Curve.
    09-05-09 11:02 PM
    I find myself using the BB Browser more than Opera Mini on my phone.
    09-06-09 12:10 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD