What CNET say . . .Defense Department opens contracts for Apple, Google . . .what the DoD said . . .DOD Releases Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan . . .if anyone can actually get access to the link to the pdf of the actual plan that would be nice. . .
    02-27-13 04:56 AM
    Keep in mind the resource. CNET love to make apple look like its the bees knees. Just because they are testing it means nothing. The DoD teasted the pain ray, and they never used it.
    02-27-13 05:01 AM
    An existing thread from yesterday -> http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2014-a-776105/

Don't blame CNET. Read the articles first.
    02-27-13 05:03 AM
    An existing thread from yesterday -> http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2014-a-776105/

Don't blame CNET. Read the articles first.
    Again with rehashing old news. The original information was released last year.
    02-27-13 05:16 AM
    You did see that there was a new DoD press release YESTERDAY. Or is that old news?
    02-27-13 05:21 AM
    It's is a new article and press release by the DoD but it really doesn't say any thing particularly new. . . trying to get thew the actual plan but . . ."ain't nobody got time for that." . . .lol
    02-27-13 05:29 AM
    As someone who has to be concerned with DOD IT policies on a regular basis, I can say without any hesitation that if / when the DOD approves iOS and android devices they won't be BYOD. They will be government issued. They will also require full FIPS certification. DOD standards have become more restrictive of late regarding non-government issued devices.
    02-27-13 05:35 AM
    I'm in the Air Force. I can tell you the only iOS devices I see are iPads that have been issued to our pilots to carry all their manuals and Air Force instructions on and such. But of course they install all their games and stuff on their too. But they don't have their government email and that sort on them.

As active duty military, I hope whenever they upgrade to BES10 they will let me hook my Z10 up to BES. That would be schweet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-27-13 05:45 AM
    DoD is exploring avenues, but BYOD is no where close to being ready. These would still be government, locked down devices if they are issued. And they are of course going to test the other platforms, and stop the reliance on a single vendor, in no way does this say that BB is going away. Also this isnt really a press release, DoD released the RFP/RFQ some time ago.
    02-27-13 05:55 AM
    Already posted and it is not BYOD.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    02-27-13 06:09 AM
    Yes all they have said is that the solution needs to support Apple and Android. BES10 has a chance to win the business. Their have also been stories about this that allude to these devices being used on the classified networks which is never going to happen and shows that the writers of the articles are clueless. This will all be for what the government calls SBU networks.
    02-27-13 09:59 AM
    Yes all they have said is that the solution needs to support Apple and Android. BES10 has a chance to win the business. Their have also been stories about this that allude to these devices being used on the classified networks which is never going to happen and shows that the writers of the articles are clueless. This will all be for what the government calls SBU networks.
    This is not accurate, there are pushes in this direction.
    02-27-13 10:23 AM
    I'm in the Air Force. I can tell you the only iOS devices I see are iPads that have been issued to our pilots to carry all their manuals and Air Force instructions on and such. But of course they install all their games and stuff on their too. But they don't have their government email and that sort on them.

As active duty military, I hope whenever they upgrade to BES10 they will let me hook my Z10 up to BES. That would be schweet.

There is actually a good reason for the Ipad purchase as the Ipads have custom software specifically designed for the air force and Ipad.... was and extensive article on this issue last year... a good example of apps bringing sales... had the software been developed for BB or Android only you would see those devices use by the airforce.... one thing you will never see at DOD is BYOD.... BES10 on it own would probably not suit their strict security needs... any device will be issued and controlled by DOD.... This is actually a good thing as it will force BB and Samsung to duke it out and that is good as it force innovation.....
    02-27-13 10:24 AM
    The article would make you think that they are signing and dropping contracts left and right . . .seems like the established plan is simply a plan to evaluate a MDM strategy. . .CNET really knows how to spin it.

02-27-13 11:21 AM
    They are going to have to seriously modify a bunch of regs then and apply them to everyone equally because their are a lot of lazy agencies already when it comes to security.
    02-27-13 12:27 PM
    The day that mobile device, any devices, are allowed on classified networks is the day that our national security goes down the drain. A mobile device is just not secure enough to be able to transfer classified info. And to anybody that says it is already on there, they either need to check their info or report that person.
    02-28-13 12:35 AM
    The DoD will never push for BYOD. Everything is issued to you if they think you need it. That's just fact.

The day that mobile device, any devices, are allowed on classified networks is the day that our national security goes down the drain. A mobile device is just not secure enough to be able to transfer classified info. And to anybody that says it is already on there, they either need to check their info or report that person.
    This is inaccurate. Under NO circumstances is classified information authorized to be transmitted through electronic devices. Sensitive information is authorized but only across the SIPRNet(secured internet protocol router network. This is more of the internet and requires special access and is on its own secured lines more like an intranet. You can't browse the internet on these machines.

There is actually a good reason for the Ipad purchase as the Ipads have custom software specifically designed for the air force and Ipad.... was and extensive article on this issue last year... a good example of apps bringing sales... had the software been developed for BB or Android only you would see those devices use by the airforce.... one thing you will never see at DOD is BYOD.... BES10 on it own would probably not suit their strict security needs... any device will be issued and controlled by DOD.... This is actually a good thing as it will force BB and Samsung to duke it out and that is good as it force innovation.....
    You're thinking too hard about this. There is nothing special about these iPads. They are stock. The ppilots load all their manuals onto the devices in PDF format. That's it haha. No special software. Not secured other than the pin lock. They use their iTunes or app store account or whatever to download what ever games they want.
    02-28-13 05:09 AM
    This is inaccurate. Under NO circumstances is classified information authorized to be transmitted through electronic devices. Sensitive information is authorized but only across the SIPRNet(secured internet protocol router network. This is more of the internet and requires special access and is on its own secured lines more like an intranet. You can't browse the internet on these machines.
    How is what I said inaccurate? I said "And to anybody that says it is already on there, they either need to check their info or report that person."
    02-28-13 05:19 AM
    A) There are classified mobile devices currently in use for Secret level communications, both voice and data Sect�ra� Edge? (SME PED)
    B) BYOD *IS* the goal of DoD, the security just isnt there yet.

Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)

Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) or personally owned devices used for enterprise business purposes is an emerging trend throughout the IT industry. This new construct presents many compelling benefits to organizations and users and is a long term objective. Despite the benefits,existing DoD policies, operational constructs, and security vulnerabilities currently prevent the adoption of devices that are unapproved and procured outside of official government acquisition. DISA and various DoD Components are currently examining the use of virtual desktop infrastructure(VDI) as a possible technology approach to bridge the security gap for BYOD. Another approach is the development of “hardened” devices capable of a secure boot of trust and isolated hypervisors based on the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). TPM is both the name of a published specification detailing a secure crypto-processor that can store cryptographic keys, as well as the general name of implementations of that specification, often called the "TPM chip" or"TPM Security Device". Several mobile device original equipment manufacturers are moving toward producing CMDs with the capability to securely support both an enterprise and a personal capability on the same device.

As the technology matures and is proven to meet DoD securityrequirements for the mobility environment, DoD CIO will monitor and generate the necessary DoD implementation policies to support BYOD. In conjunction with the Digital Government Strategy, DoD will continue to evaluate BYOD options

I have highlighted the relevant portions of the above section, taken directly from http://www.defense.gov/news/DoDCMDIm...tationPlan.pdf

You do understand that in addition to the SME PED devices, there are also classified iPads able to contain secret information yes? They have been modified, but still exist.

This is incorrect. SBU data is on NIPR. And BlackBerry devices are allowed to process this data. BlackBerry - Security Approvals & Certifications - US

Please before posting something, verify your data. There are those out there with actual knowledge of this, and there is also publicly available data (which I have posted)
    m1a1mg likes this.
    02-28-13 06:21 AM
    They are going to have to seriously modify a bunch of regs then and apply them to everyone equally because their are a lot of lazy agencies already when it comes to security.
    I 100% agree, enforcement now is a joke, at least on the unclassified side.
    02-28-13 06:24 AM
    BYOD won't happen for a while, period. Not if the security policy is applied across the board. My organization won't even allow IOPDs, cameras, cell phones, etc.. into the building, much less exchange data on them. If it's not a government issues Blackberry with appropriate software installed, you're not bringing it inside. period. Are there organizations within the DoD that don't require that strict security? Sure there are, but if the measures are applied accross the board, there will be no BYOD in the near future. If you don't work for the DoD you can't understand all the particulars, and that's ok. There's just a lot more under the surface than what's being discussed here. This topic won't go away though, so this development will be very interesting indeed.
    02-28-13 09:27 AM
    BYOD won't happen for a while, period. Not if the security policy is applied across the board. My organization won't even allow IOPDs, cameras, cell phones, etc.. into the building, much less exchange data on them. If it's not a government issues Blackberry with appropriate software installed, you're not bringing it inside. period. Are there organizations within the DoD that don't require that strict security? Sure there are, but if the measures are applied accross the board, there will be no BYOD in the near future. If you don't work for the DoD you can't understand all the particulars, and that's ok. There's just a lot more under the surface than what's being discussed here. This topic won't go away though, so this development will be very interesting indeed.
    DoD has been looking at BYOD, and any agencies that follow DISA directives would be able to use anything they provide. There are agencies that require security well above the norm, those that process TS+ data. That is still a very long way out, but a classified mobile device, those are out there and will continue to be used for Secret level communications. Remember, agencies can always make requirements MORE strict than the directives, they have to have a good reason (and DAA approval) to make them less.
    02-28-13 10:03 AM
    Thanks Sith for posting facts. DoD is testing SIPR and higher mobile comms and have been for at least a year now.
    02-28-13 10:28 AM
    Thanks Sith for posting facts. DoD is testing SIPR and higher mobile comms and have been for at least a year now.
    DoD is always testing new technology and they, like any agency/company, make plans for the future. Mobile IS the future, and denying that is folly.
    02-28-13 10:34 AM
    You did see that there was a new DoD press release YESTERDAY. Or is that old news?
    It's an update on the project. the news has been known for a while
    02-28-13 10:43 AM
28 12