• Yes, I want it back

100 32.79%
  • No, I don't want it back

58 19.02%
  • I want it as an optional extra

67 21.97%
  • I don't care ether way

80 26.23%
    It appears certain BlackBerry specific services like BBM are still being run through the NOC. But the devices no longer require BIS for access to email and general data.

Posted via CB10
    Something must be as I get the four BlackBerry dots beside my LTE Signal strength. The help tells me it means:
    Do you want BIS to return to BlackBerry?-img_00000157.png

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    04-30-13 05:37 PM
    I'm sure they'll make every effort to fill in the missing features. I wonder about the BIS-like solution. I have the feeling that BIS is so tied to the architecture of BBOS devices and specific carrier arrangements that this is unlikely. It may be more likely that a third-party company like Onavo will develop something for BB10.

Here's a thought. Opera Mini has data compression as an option. I don't know if we'll see a version of Opera Mini for BB10 but let's suppose we do. If we use Gmail's mobile web app in Opera Mini to access email, we'd get the compression working for email too, right? For people who only need occasional short-term data compression for email and light browsing, during short international trips for example, this might be an acceptable solution.

What about Emoze? Emoze The best email app for Android This looks like it's already a free-standing BIS-like solution that could move into BB10.

I'm thinking BBRY will have all it can handle holding the OS together and pushing out updates, opening a windows of opportunity for third-party solutions for special-case scenarios like BD's.
    I doubt most would embrace an add on solution that's not baked in by BlackBerry.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-30-13 09:37 PM
    If your owning or directing companies and relying on BIS, then you are cheap, or small. BIS is not a secure email solution it is simply a way for consumer blackBerry devices to get email because the OS lacks the ability to get email on its own. BES is the corporate and government solution for BlackBerry devices, and BES is still available for BB10 devices. BES10 will be available for hosted solutions for small businesses (some user has stated ExchangeMyMail has it already). BES5 hosted Exchange solutions have been available and are reasonably price.
    Or smart for keeping overheads low instead of paying for something you don't really need.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 01:31 AM
    I doubt most would embrace an add on solution that's not baked in by BlackBerry.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    They used to do push email for Symbian. Just like with Imap idle emails were sometimes delayed quite a bit.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 01:34 AM
    Or smart for keeping overheads low instead of paying for something you don't really need.

Posted via CB10
    It is not nor was never intended to be a corporate business solution. It was necessary due to the OS not having ability to function autonomously. BBRY decided with the new OS and the available processing power for handheld devices that it was best not to include.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-01-13 05:57 AM
    It is not nor was never intended to be a corporate business solution. It was necessary due to the OS not having ability to function autonomously. BBRY decided with the new OS and the available processing power for handheld devices that it was best not to include.

Posted via CB10
    BIS was originally a small business solution, not available to the general public. BBOS can function autonomtously just fine, browsing, email apps, etc work without BIS.
    05-01-13 06:08 AM
    Another reminder to everyone to please stay on topic
    05-01-13 08:17 AM
    Another reminder to everyone to please stay on topic
    My comment was on topic, even if I did not use words.

But if you prefer it like that:

It is a pretty strange behaviour, to name a thread "Do you want BIS back" and then telling us how good OS7 works without BIS.

The focus shifted from BIS to legacy OS since a long time now.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 08:26 AM
    MarsupilamiX yes, a while back in the thread the conversation has strayed, etc. That happens in virtually any conversation, hence we try to bring the conversation back into line. But, in the scheme of things, you've voiced your opinion on this main subject, no? I don't feel that a constant reminder of certain things in this thread is really needed here.

I say let the conversation proceed based on the subject. Doing that in itself will help the conversation stay on topic.

Thanks

Ivan
    05-01-13 09:21 AM
    To be honest, let's call it a day with this thread. The stats here, based on the members that par took in this poll, says it all...

Again, this is ONLY based on the members that par took in the poll. This by no means says this is a general population of BlackBerry users consensus.
    Attached Thumbnails Do you want BIS to return to BlackBerry?-capture.jpg  
    05-01-13 09:26 AM
1,160 ... 454647