• Yes, I want it back

100 32.79%
  • No, I don't want it back

58 19.02%
  • I want it as an optional extra

67 21.97%
  • I don't care ether way

80 26.23%
    This has been a hot topic in the forums recently, some are against it some want it back.
    Well, let's settle it with a poll and let the numbers talk.
    03-24-13 07:08 AM
    What's missing besides push email and email/text compression
    03-24-13 07:22 AM
    The definition of BIS:

To keep it simple no BIS means your Z10 will function just like any other smartphone on the market.

BIS had a few advantages and a few disadvantages of course but the main advantages were these:

1. data compression allowing lower data plans, cheaper roaming and faster internet connection on low speed networks (GPRS, EDGE)
    2. true push email, IMAP or POP, your device never looked for new messages, they would always be pushed to the device. Note, let's not confuse instant email with push email.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-24-13 07:23 AM
    It wasn't just email compression, browsing compression too, BB once advertised compression was 4 to 1 for emails, 2 to 1 for browsing.
    03-24-13 07:24 AM
    Now I never was the one to pay for my plan or get the bill, but BIS costs an extra $10 or so right? Without it people are saving that extra $10 a month
    03-24-13 07:27 AM
    Now I never was the one to pay for my plan or get the bill, but BIS costs an extra $10 or so right? Without it people are saving that extra $10 a month
    No, only some carriers charged extra, others didn't, basically was the same price as the data plan for any other smartphone.

But, I already had to pay �3 extra for 500mb and that wasn't enough so l have to go to �6 extra a month to get 1gb of aditional data bringing it up to 2G a month.

I'd rather pay that to get BIS back when 1gb was more than enough.
    03-24-13 07:33 AM
    There are other ways to take push to a new level. I had hoped blackberry would have done this for bb10, but am now hoping there a working on it in a lab somewhere.
    1. Take over major app polling. Facebook (or whatever else's) app could put the polling on a BlackBerry server. Updates are just pushed to the device, saving battery and data.
    2. Proximity based pushing. 'your BBM friend is a block away ' or 'there's a pothole ahead'.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 07:35 AM
    Im a heavy email user ( 6 accounts with activesync) ive been using bis for the last 6 years and i have the z10 since February 5th and didn't noticed a single difference, only difference is that i can't sync more than 30 days of email now but that is os related and so many are nad about it that it's a given that the 10.1 update will fix that, actually alec said on twitter that it's coming with this update (don't have the screen shot of the convo but can easily be found here on the forum)

And don't forget one thing dho : no bis means that no more blackberry server outage.
    If an outage arise, your bbm will stop working but you will still have access to the rest of your data services unlike the legacy phones were you would only be able to text and talk on your phone while the bbry service is down because all your data had to pass by there for conpresion and incryption

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Dapper37 like this.
    03-24-13 07:37 AM
    Isn't POP email the only one that doesn't come in instantly without BIS?
    03-24-13 07:38 AM
    Isn't POP email the only one that doesn't come in instantly without BIS?
    POP and IMAP don't, IMAP IDLE and Exchange only come in instantly.
    03-24-13 07:44 AM
    POP email didn't come instantly with BIS. The NOC would take up to 15 minutes to poll the email server before pushing new messages to your phone. The difference was the server doing the polling instead of your phone.

What I don't miss are truncated emails. I would get order forms emailed to me and they would always get truncated. To get the complete order, I would have to get out my laptop and find a data connection. As much as I like push technology, I like getting complete emails more.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 07:48 AM
    This is my opinion regarding BIS. It was great maybe a decade ago, but these days there are significant disadvantages to having it.

1. BIS causes a single point of failure, as all traffic is forced through the NOC servers. Now without BIS, if the NOC goes down you can still send and receive emails.

2. BIS slows down traffic, especially your browsing, data streaming, large emails, etc because of (1)

3. Because of BIS restrictions you get a lot of truncated emails, truncated attachments, etc leading to poor user experience.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    JR A, Deu2e and Jonesy1966 like this.
    03-24-13 08:15 AM
    This is my opinion regarding BIS. It was great maybe a decade ago, but these days there are significant disadvantages to having it.

1. BIS causes a single point of failure, as all traffic is forced through the NOC servers. Now without BIS, if the NOC goes down you can still send and receive emails.

2. BIS slows down traffic, especially your browsing, data streaming, large emails, etc because of (1)

3. Because of BIS restrictions you get a lot of truncated emails, truncated attachments, etc leading to poor user experience.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    2. That's actually not correct, you could easily watch youtube videos trough a bis connection so slower browsing had nothing to do with BIS, rather it was the bbos limitation.
    03-24-13 08:19 AM
    A replacement to BIS is coming along with the Q10 launch. I have mentioned that Blackberry is launching new services, this is one. I really know very little about it other than a high level manager at BB told me flat out its coming soon.
    03-24-13 08:22 AM
    I never cared much for browsing the internet on a 9700. The funny thing is the tethered PlayBook browsed fast. Even after upgrading it to OS6 it was horrible. I don't know if it's the fact that I am now on LTE, the Z10 is faster, or I'm no longer on BIS and frankly I don't care. I use Exchange and Active Sync and my email is instant. The 9700 did not use Active Sync so email was always delayed. I can actually use the browser on this device. I'm pleased as punch.
    03-24-13 08:44 AM
    I never cared much for browsing the internet on a 9700. The funny thing is the tethered PlayBook browsed fast. Even after upgrading it to OS6 it was horrible. I don't know if it's the fact that I am now on LTE, the Z10 is faster, or I'm no longer on BIS and frankly I don't care. I use Exchange and Active Sync and my email is instant. The 9700 did not use Active Sync so email was always delayed. I can actually use the browser on this device. I'm pleased as punch.
    I bridged my 9700 to my PlayBook with a pre pay sim that only had bis services and I could play youtube videos no problem on the PlayBook. On the device itself it didn't work as it would require a direct carrier connection but bridged played without a hitch. Kids would watch videos in the back of the car.

BIS internet connection was not slow, other factors limited the the speed on the device.
    03-24-13 08:53 AM
    A replacement to BIS is coming along with the Q10 launch. I have mentioned that Blackberry is launching new services, this is one. I really know very little about it other than a high level manager at BB told me flat out its coming soon.
    This is great news i hope you're right
    03-24-13 08:54 AM
    yeah ur right about what u said... but the fact that Blackberry is popular in developing countries should have persuaded them to try and keep BIS.. for example:i have a bold 9900 im living in africa at the moment my carrier of choice offers one month BIS at 25$ meaning i get unlimited everything ( email accounts, bbm) even browsing and downloads i can choose to download 10gb and it won't add any costs... but if i want to get a normal data plan for another smartphone the cheapest one month plan is at 10$ and it just gives u 200mb and 7Gb of data will cost me 100$ monthly. i hope u kinda get the idea. people dont care abroad cause most have contracts and such but u have to get the fact that BBRY doesnt only sell products nor rely mainly on europe and the states .

FYI: im getting my Z10 tonight so i'll see how my consummation will be
    03-24-13 09:04 AM
    I bridged my 9700 to my PlayBook with a pre pay sim that only had bis services and I could play youtube videos no problem on the PlayBook. On the device itself it didn't work as it would require a direct carrier connection but bridged played without a hitch. Kids would watch videos in the back of the car.

BIS internet connection was not slow, other factors limited the the speed on the device.
    The funny thing about that 9700 is I could turn off the carrier network and browse very fast on wifi.
    03-24-13 09:07 AM
    Did BIS also provide a level of encryption to the average joe's email? That would be about the only thing I would miss - but I don't really send any state secrets myself so not a big deal to me but if it is true I'm surprised other people aren't more upset about it. However, I may be wrong and that wasn't a feature.
    03-24-13 09:10 AM
    The way the new devices work requires a completely different approach to a BIS or said another way, a consumer version of the BES 10. When Thorsten says its a completely new platform, that's what he's talking about...I think the new service will be a game changer for already excellent BB10 devices. The new BIS will work to add extra security and other features and in the unlikely event the system goes down you will still get email via active sync. It's a great source of revenue for Blackberry and makes carriers money which will keep them loyal to Blackberry.
    03-24-13 09:17 AM
    I might also add with all the concern over data security and fear of unchecked snooping from big email providers the market will pay for these services. Look at how companies like Lifelock make money on security services. Paying an extra $5 a month for the new BIS may not be for all but it will be for some. Launching with the Q10 makes sense too. Keyboard users are most likely to object to no BIS so having that at or near launch is a solid decision.
    03-24-13 09:22 AM
    I have a vague memory that MLB cited the way BB did browsing on the old devices as a reason for not allowing video on their MLB apps as they did with the iOS and Android, NHL as well. Not sure it was related to BIS, I have heard contrasting opinions on the matter, however I do see without BIS - NHL is allowing streaming which gives me hope that when MLB releases their app just before the season starts (or so we hear, one year it was just after), I am really hoping that they will allow it as well. This would be a major plus for me its an app I really enjoy.

I am certain BIS as it was will never come back for those who lost it with BB10 as that was included as part of your data fee, and so it effectively meant for carriers they made about $5 less for BlackBerry phones than they did for the other 3 majors. The carriers will not allow that to return its been made clear here that was a major negotiation when then RIM announced the new phones.

Now, as an add on where you could buy it on top of your data fee I think is a real possibility and some may find reasons to want it, and if so it should be made available to them I don't see why not it seems to me it should be an easy thing for the BBRY devs to bring to the phone considering their long history with it.
    03-24-13 09:56 AM
    As a 9780 user, of course I have to use BIS. I like the security, the push email, the compression, and simply enjoy the classic BlackBerry feel due to BIS. I'll upgrade to a z10 some day (probably early next year), but for now, my 9780 has more work to do until it retires.

I have no issue with BIS outage as some have posted in other threads. I have an Android as a backup on Virgin Mobile (MVNO of Sprint) and my Data was out for exactly 1 month. Some sort of issue with my account, and not until my new month started could they fix the data outage. Can you imagine BIS being down for a month? It would not be. So for me, compared to my Andorid Data, BIS is very dependable for me.

I'd have to vote "I don't care" if I were on the 10. I'll do what RIM has engineered. Nothing more, nor less. For now, I'm enjoying BIS still on my trusty 9780.
    03-24-13 10:10 AM
    Aren't you guys missing out the point that Z10 still works on bis. I have a BIS 3g plan and it works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 10:24 AM
1,160 123 ...