As much as I love my bb, I value the people around me more =]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 06:32 PM
    I have to say that coming into blackberry has opened my eyes

I initially came in for one or two issues with my storm(well more than one or two) and was amazed to find people with a total dependency on what they hold in their hand..only this was an electrical device

The more and more I came in the more and more I understood the term crack addict and not in the usual..just for personal use terms

So many claim they need push email but I wonder how many actually do and I wonder how many when they get home put the thing down and turn it off

I wonder how many gently caress their partner as a sign of affection as they do their blackberry, I wonder if they look their children in the eye with a gleam that they do when they get a new blackberry..that loving caring look

I am a basic man I value people more than gadgets and whilst I am no technophobe I am no geek either and gadgets work for me when I want them too..then when I don't need them I turn them off.

I'm not a rocket scientist or top surgeon for a childrens ward I am just me and for a large part I do not need to have a life dictated to by gadgets nor do I have a need to be 24hr contactable

I wonder how many relationships have been ruined or given rough patches due to blackberry's and how many kids feel neglected because thier parent can't put the blackberry down whilst telling the kids to leave the x box alone as it's time for bed

I use the p.c. for what I need then turn it off. I've gone back to a non email phone and I am amazed at the real human time I have got back.

so without jokes and without the need to be specific has any one found it hard to put the family before the blackberry and when you have how was it for you?

my phone never gets turned off..

its always on and even when on the pc/mac at home When a mail comes in I often read it on the berry...
    06-08-09 06:55 PM
    I think some, not myself do, you only have to look in the addict section

It is a usefull tool, I just see many people who would think their life had ended if a little black electronic box was lost or damaged

It is as one or two have said a balanance that most achieve but some do not
    But can't the same be said of coffee? Or working out? Or going out clubbing? There are always people who go to the far left of normal use when it comes to anything. While I respect your opening this topic up for discussion, I think the real problem is that the audience who would probably most benefit from this type of intervention (i.e. hardcore BB addicts to the detriment of everything else) either won't be reading a thread with this title, or will read it and not identify because they are in denial.
    If the message is to remember to take a few moments each day to enjoy those around us without the intervention of technology at all- point taken. Its a good reminder. However, in some areas I feel your tone comes across as a bit preachy and self-righteous, which has the side effect of totally obliterating your helpful concepts.
    06-09-09 09:48 AM
    no way, but if i do happen to be around someone that is boring or just not into them then that is when i thank god i have a blackberry to keep me entertained.
    06-09-09 10:18 AM
    I've gone back to a non email phone and I am amazed at the real human time I have got back.
    i love my blackberry but i love my fam more....however i hardly see them so i try to nudge them towards blackberry to make it easier to stay in contact(email, bbm, etc) some might say to just pick up the phone and call but bein a full time college student, working 34 hrs a week, maintaining a relationship, and trying to have some sort of social life its just easier to use text based forms of communications...my blackberry helps make a lot of things in my life easier, more convenient, and more fun; I, in no way, allow it to affect my life(or the people in it in a negative way)....with that beint said: if having a phone with email has affects ur relationships with people thats our own fault for not having self control

SORRY FOR THE LENGTH
    06-09-09 11:14 AM
    (singing) "Kum bah ya, my lord, kum bah ya..."

Seriously, if you have enough time to post something like this, you're not spending enough time with your family.
    06-09-09 11:46 AM
    I do not value my BB more than people around me, it actually allows me more time to spend with my family. I could never get days off from work without being "connected" to my email. Now I can go on vacation with the family, and stay in tune with what's going on in the office.

I hate to say it, but I need this thing...
    06-09-09 12:41 PM
    I value people and animals then BlackBerrys. The order of that depends on the person, the animal, and the BlackBerry.
    I have to agree with this one. LoL. Two things
    I have ALWAYS said.

1. You can't pick your family and you don't have to like the type of person they are.
    2. I love my cat more than I like most people.

At least with a blackberry you can pick what phone you want. On the other hand, they have to be fed(battery), they act up, and they are useful in connecting to the world via internet, phone, text, and pictures. To say that my berry controls my life would be negative. If anything I control my berry to keep order of my life. I do not use at work for hours at a time(anymore or often). I do not take it in the shower. So I'm not that addicted. (Oh crap.... Denial....should I be concerned?)

06-09-09 11:18 PM
    I value my bb more than 90% of the people on this planet. Isnt a big deal, there are people out there that value more meaningless things than their OWN LIFE let alone others.
    06-09-09 11:32 PM
    Oh gawd...

06-10-09 12:38 AM
    Short answer, no. There are a lot of addicts here on CB and I'm one of them. But, I don't have that issue
    06-10-09 12:51 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD