01-11-17 10:18 PM
33 12
tools
    The problem with that is that the market for phones that small today is in the tens or maybe hundreds of thousands - insignificant in a market that sells well over a billion a year, and hard to justify when the cost of making a single model is so high that you have to sell half a million or more just to break even.

That's the experiment that BB/TCL is running with Mercury. We'll see if you're right.
    I believe I read the iPhone SE was the number one selling iPhone in Europe. Not everyone prefers such a large footprint for a mobile device. There is something to be said for one handedness for those that prefer it.
    01-10-17 11:14 AM
    I believe I read the iPhone SE was the number one selling iPhone in Europe. Not everyone prefers such a large footprint for a mobile device. There is something to be said for one handedness for those that prefer it.
    Problem is... why was it the #1 seller? Was it the smaller form factor? Or was it the smaller price tag?

I don't doubt some prefer the smaller form factor... just not sure you can use iPhone SE sales to support it.
    01-10-17 11:41 AM
    Problem is... why was it the #1 seller? Was it the smaller form factor? Or was it the smaller price tag?

I don't doubt some prefer the smaller form factor... just not sure you can use iPhone SE sales to support it.
    Why not? The SE definitely meets the smaller form factor criteria does it not? That it is priced more affordable for an iPhone likely factors and helps. (User gets the same experience in a smaller more affordable package) Never the less it is meeting a need and selling.
    01-10-17 01:34 PM
    Why not? The SE definitely meets the smaller form factor criteria does it not? That it is priced more affordable for an iPhone likely factors and helps. (User gets the same experience in a smaller more affordable package) Never the less it is meeting a need and selling.
    Yes, but it also enjoys the full ecosystem that other iPhones enjoy, and works the same way that they do.

It's a huge leap to believe that there are enough "small phone" people who are ALSO PKB people AND "don't need apps" people - and the group of people in the junction of that Venn diagram would need to be enough to sell millions of phones a year or there is no way to make a profit, or just break even.

These are for-profit companies we're talking about, not charities.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-10-17 04:26 PM
    Agreed that there is no market for a phone with no apps. If there is only enough market for one good PKB , it is important that it is not too wide but not too long. The Mercury might be that one phone.

As I write this on a Samsung, I note that the VKB is above the Android too belt. I wonder if on the Mercury, the tool belt should be below the PKB as it is on a VKB.
    01-10-17 04:51 PM
    I'd prefer to have the additional screen space instead.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 08:02 PM
    Never... it's time has passed

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 06:45 PM
    Yes, but it also enjoys the full ecosystem that other iPhones enjoy, and works the same way that they do.

It's a huge leap to believe that there are enough "small phone" people who are ALSO PKB people AND "don't need apps" people - and the group of people in the junction of that Venn diagram would need to be enough to sell millions of phones a year or there is no way to make a profit, or just break even.

These are for-profit companies we're talking about, not charities.
    OP's question specifies Android. Afaik, Android has a pretty robust app ecosystem. Are you saying existing Android apps can't work with a tool belt?
    01-11-17 10:18 PM
33 12