Hi

As you probably know I've just bought a refurb 9780, I'm starting to wonder if it's faulty. It is my first BlackBerry, so I haven't a clue.
    I've tried 2 SIM cards in it, one GiffGaff, which is useless. And my Virgin one which doesn't seem to be doing much. I don't have BlackBerry services or anything yet, I don't know if this will make any difference. GiffGaff are saying the SIM is fine and that it's a BlackBerry problem, which I doubt.

Also just tried the charger supplied and it doesn't work at all. It's now charging in my mum's blackberry compatible charger no problem, not the BlackBerry one I was supplied with. I also suspect the call volume to be a bit low, this has improved somewhat on the Virgin SIM.

Am I having all these problems simply because I don't have BlackBerry services? will it come to life?
    Or is it something else, faulty or something? or a foreign one or something?

Not sure what to do as don't think the shop would do a refund. I've got a warranty if it's faulty or anything.
    I'm so disappointed, I wanted my first BlackBerry experience to be better than this. I thought I'd just put my SIM in and away I'd go.
    01-05-13 02:18 PM
    With either of the SIM cards in your 9780, can you make and/or receive calls? Texts?

If you can, then I'm not sure what you expect from a BlackBerry device that doesn't have a specific BB Data Plan. Either prepaid or monthly. They even have BBM plans that allow for social networking and a number of texts included. You really should contact your carrier. Find out if Virgin or GG will give you the best deal.

http://giffgaff.com/blackberry-add-on

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...chooseus.sm071
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-05-13 at 02:54 PM.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 02:35 PM
    Hi

With the GiffGaff SIM, I can just say call and text my boyfriend but it is charging me when it shouldn't be.
    Have tried ringing and texting others using this SIM with no joy at all

The Virgin one I have just put in and haven't tried properly as it is charging. I will check it tho just to see.
    01-05-13 02:50 PM
    Hi

With the GiffGaff SIM, I can just say call and text my boyfriend but it is charging me when it shouldn't be.
    Have tried ringing and texting others using this SIM with no joy at all

The Virgin one I have just put in and haven't tried properly as it is charging. I will check it tho just to see.
    Out of curiosity, if you just got the phone, how do you know that the calls and texts to your boyfriend have been charged to your account? I can understand minutes showing up and the number of texts shown, but how would you know that you have actually been charged? Does your pre-pay include x amount of minutes and x amount of texts?
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 03:20 PM
    Out of curiosity, if you just got the phone, how do you know that the calls and texts to your boyfriend have been charged to your account? I can understand minutes showing up and the number of texts shown, but how would you know that you have actually been charged? Does your pre-pay include x amount of minutes and x amount of texts?
    Yes I have a bundle with them, which includes so many mins and unlimited texts and free giffgaff to giffgaff texts and calls, so I was horrified when i got a notification each time I text to say how much it was charging me when i usually get one saying woohoo that text was free or something like that. Also I had the SIM in my other phone til yesterday when I put it in the BlackBerry, thats when the problems started.
    01-05-13 03:34 PM
    When you took on the Giff gaff sim, did you pay for the BlackBerry services, costs an extra �3 pm. Did you receive a message saying you are registered on RIM's servers, have you got the service books? Go to options/device/advanced system settings/host routing table
    Menu - register now
    you should receive a message saying your device has been registered with the wireless network
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 03:40 PM
    Yes I have a bundle with them, which includes so many mins and unlimited texts and free giffgaff to giffgaff texts and calls, so I was horrified when i got a notification each time I text to say how much it was charging me when i usually get one saying woohoo that text was free or something like that. Also I had the SIM in my other phone til yesterday when I put it in the BlackBerry, thats when the problems started.
    Interesting... It seems that BigwhiteUK knows far more about the way plans work in your area. I'm on the other side of the pond so can't be of any help here. Sorry and hope you get this resolved.
    01-05-13 03:43 PM
    When you took on the Giff gaff sim, did you pay for the BlackBerry services, costs an extra �3 pm. Did you receive a message saying you are registered on RIM's servers, have you got the service books? Go to options/device/advanced system settings/host routing table
    Menu - register now
    you should receive a message saying your device has been registered with the wireless network
    I've been with GG since Feb last year, I don't have the BlackBerry Add on as yet, but apparently it should work for texts and calls which it's not.
    When i put the SIm in i didn't get any message saying i was registered to RIM BlackBerry or anything. I've tried to have a look at the service books, just can't do a thing with it it seems.
    01-05-13 03:45 PM
    The Blackberry add on is an add-on to existing goodybags to enable features like push email, Blackberry messenger and enabling the Blackberry browser. It is an integral part to getting the most out of your Blackberry and the reason people choose a Blackberry above other handsets.

The add-on costs �3 and has to be bought at the same time as any other goodybag*, it will not work without a goodybag.

To purchase the add on;

Sign into your account
    Go to https://giffgaff.com/buy and add a main goodybag to the checkout basket.
    Scroll down the page and add the Blackberry add-on to the checkout basket.
    Check the basket to confirm that both are present. It is essential that you buy both at the same time!
    Press continue and checkout as normal.
    *note If you buy the BlackBerry add-on with our �5 Unlimited Text or �5 Hokey Cokey goodybag you will still be charged our PAYG rate of 20p for the first 20MB and 20p for every MB afterwards for internet usage.

Question

Is my BlackBerry on the network and ready to use?
    Answer

Once you have inserted your active SIM card into your phone you should see GPRS, EDGE or 3G (in capital letters) with dots after it in the right corner of the phone, this shows that your SIM card is provisioned to the BlackBerry Network and ready to use. If your phone is showing the word "OFF" in the right corner of the Home Screen, go to "Manage Connections" and ensure the Mobile Network box has a tick in it.

If your phone is showing "gprs, edge, gsm, or 3g" (in lower case letters) in the right corner of your screen then your phone is connected to the O2 network, but not provisioned to the BlackBerry services. You should take your battery out and put it back in again which try to reconnect the BlackBerry network, if that fails you will need to contact an agent to check your sim card has been provisioned for BlackBerry
    01-05-13 03:50 PM
    Question

How can I get BlackBerry service books sent to me?
    Answer

Step One - Hard Reboot:

1. Remove battery from the device
    2. Leave the battery out for at least 30 seconds
    3. Replace battery and let the device reboot

Step Two - Register on Network: (if step one did not solve issue)

Ask an Agent and have them check the provisioning of your account and resend the service books.
    01-05-13 03:51 PM
    is your phone switched on and working?
    01-05-13 03:52 PM
    yes it was on but barely working properly, i could only seem to ring and text one number which was very strange

It has mobile connection with a tick in the box, and it says 3G in the corner as well. I was starting to wonder if it was locked or something. have had them check the sim and they say its fine, as it works no problem in my other phone.
    01-05-13 03:55 PM
    have a look here
    giffgaffer's guide to Blackberry - The giffgaff community - How to giffgaff a Blackberry
    01-05-13 03:57 PM
    yes it was on Have read all the way through that and cannot work out what the problem is. At first i just thought oh haven't got BB add on, but it should still let me use the phone as normal call and text using the same gg goodybag i was on using.

Am going to try the GG sim in my mums BlackBerry see if that works as normal
    01-05-13 03:59 PM
    If you want to check whether or not yours is unlocked:

Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Sim card
    Then type "MEPD" (without the quotation marks). This should make a few extra lines appear. Beside Network, if it says Active, then you're locked. if it says disabled then it is unlocked
    And as you say, you still should be able to make calls and send txts with no problems. Who did you by the phone from? Is it BIS or BES? Is it branded with a carriers logo on the casing and on screen?
    01-05-13 04:04 PM
    If you want to check whether or not yours is unlocked:

Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Sim card
    Then type "MEPD" (without the quotation marks). This should make a few extra lines appear. Beside Network, if it says Active, then you're locked. if it says disabled then it is unlocked
    And as you say, you still should be able to make calls and send txts with no problems. Who did you by the phone from? Is it BIS or BES? Is it branded with a carriers logo on the casing and on screen?
    Its from Entertainment Exchange supposed to be A grade unlocked to any network. I'll have another look at it tomorrow, it hasn't got any branding on it or anything, it said giffgaff straight away when i put the sim in.
    01-05-13 04:09 PM
    my thanks button has disappeard but I'll be sure to thank everybody for their help
    01-05-13 04:14 PM
    yes it was on but barely working properly, i could only seem to ring and text one number which was very strange

It has mobile connection with a tick in the box, and it says 3G in the corner as well. I was starting to wonder if it was locked or something. have had them check the sim and they say its fine, as it works no problem in my other phone.
    You said the phone is a refurb so there is a slim possibility the IMEI has been tagged as lost/stolen. If the problem persists I suggest you ask your provider to check the phone's status
    01-05-13 04:38 PM
    How do I get my provider to do that?

Have checked with the MEPD thing in the SIM bit and it all said disabled so its definitely unlocked.

I just cannot figure out why this Giffgaff sim will not work normally in it.
    01-05-13 05:08 PM
    Have tried my Virgin SIM in the phone, can't call any number, I just get some weird message saying the number doesn't exist. Not even sure what accent the message is in. Any help?

Also is there any way i can undo the MEPD thing? if i need to take it back?
    I definitely think its going back.
    01-06-13 09:11 AM
    no need to 'undo' the MEPD, its an action anyone can do. Definitely sounds like a dodgy device, take it back with your sim and show them the problems
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-06-13 11:12 AM
    If you have a working Virgin account/sim, put that sim in and ring Virgin and ask them to check phone
    01-06-13 11:14 AM
    If you have a working Virgin account/sim, put that sim in and ring Virgin and ask them to check phone
    I basically stuck my old virgin SIM in there, not sure if its still working properly ages since i actually used it.
    01-06-13 11:33 AM
    Hi, Sorry to hear about your shaky experience with your refurbished 9780.

There could be several things responsible for the odd behavior your 9780 is exhibiting.

You should first try a working and up to date sim card, and see what happens.

However I think the safest bet is for you to return it and get another one if possible because it is refurbished. Lot of people think they can repair a blackberry because they watched a you tube vid. So unless it was professionally refurbished it could have lots of issues.

If you end up keeping it, send me a private message and Ill try to trouble shoot it for you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-06-13 11:49 AM
    Hi, Sorry to hear about your shaky experience with your refurbished 9780.

There could be several things responsible for the odd behavior your 9780 is exhibiting.

You should first try a working and up to date sim card, and see what happens.

However I think the safest bet is for you to return it and get another one if possible because it is refurbished. Lot of people think they can repair a blackberry because they watched a you tube vid. So unless it was professionally refurbished it could have lots of issues.

If you end up keeping it, send me a private message and Ill try to trouble shoot it for you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I think I'm going to return it and see what they say, hopefully I can get one that actually works!! I doubt they will give me a refund though with it being a second hand refurbished one? I tried the SIM card in there that I am actually using as soon as i got the phone and was dumbfounded when it just didn't work. Contacted GiffGaff who I'm with, and they said my SIM is absolutely fine. Could not understand why I couldn't even do anything basic like call or text on it. Definitely a faulty one.

I'm dreading going back to the shop to be honest. I'm quiet and I dread these sort of things.
    Thank you for the kind offer of helping me out, I may take you up on that. I so wanted my first BB experience to be lovely.
    01-06-13 12:15 PM
59 123