I don't know what time frame he was initially hired for. But, that aside, do you think Chen will stick with BlackBerry if he has momentum?

He's been quoted that the choice to work for BlackBerry was emotional because BlackBerry was an iconic company. I think he'll stay on board if it means attaching his name to an iconic legacy.
    07-28-15 08:13 PM
    Probably not. I'm assuming he's been away from his kids and wife for months on end. I'm sure he flies back once and a while but he's probably not mentally there. He's getting paid like 100 million and maybe more depending on the stock price at his departure. I believe those stock options become fully valued around 5 years or so. I think that's just enough time for him to do the fixing and then find a "growth ceo". I think it's better for the company that way anyway. If you think about it, it must be quite the bummer for the employees to have a USA CEO commute and not actually represent Canada. However, also keep in mind a lot of people probably resent him because he had to make the tough decisions and let a lot of people go. I'm not sure if there is a large list of capable ceos in Canada to take on a giant like Blackberry, but at least get someone who wants to live in Canada, haha. It might not even be needed if it's decided that it's better to sell Blackberry. If he's partial to the company emotionally as a testament to his legacy, he will probably just stay on the board.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
    07-28-15 08:22 PM
    Probably not. I'm assuming he's been away from his kids and wife for months on end. I'm sure he flies back once and a while but he's probably not mentally there. He's getting paid like 100 million and maybe more depending on the stock price at his departure. I believe those stock options become fully valued around 5 years or so. I think that's just enough time for him to do the fixing and then find a "growth ceo". I think it's better for the company that way anyway. If you think about it, it must be quite the bummer for the employees to have a USA CEO commute and not actually represent Canada. However, also keep in mind a lot of people probably resent him because he had to make the tough decisions and let a lot of people go. I'm not sure if there is a large list of capable ceos in Canada to take on a giant like Blackberry, but at least get someone who wants to live in Canada, haha. It might not even be needed if it's decided that it's better to sell Blackberry. If he's partial to the company emotionally as a testament to his legacy, he will probably just stay on the board.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
    He doesn't work at the BB global headquarters in Waterloo. He works out of California where I believe his family also resides and he flies up to Waterloo every now and then.
    07-28-15 08:26 PM
    He's in it for the long haul, he has a passion to turn it around even if it's not the same vision of BlackBerry we all want to see. I doubt he'll give up.. giving up doesn't seem like his thing and having a 'failure' attached to his name doesn't seem like something he'd be OK with. Question is.. what does he deem a success? When is it time for him to move on? How much money do they have to make? What's his end goal overall?
    Jay Wright2 likes this.
    07-28-15 08:27 PM
    Thanks Blaze! I hope one day YOU will be BlackBerry CEO!
    07-28-15 09:08 PM
    Thanks Blaze! I hope one day YOU will be BlackBerry CEO!
    Go for it, Bla1ze!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 09:47 PM
    I personally dont think there will be any contracts to renew. I am hoping I am wrong. I am just speaking with regards to BlackBerry hardware and nothing else. I am also thinking Windows 10 might not be all that bad as I am strongly considering a Win10 smartphone as my next smartphone, just in case but I hope my gut feeling is wrong too!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-28-15 09:54 PM
    Bla1ze summed it up pretty much. JC's got a rep to up keep.

 Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    07-28-15 09:59 PM
    I believe Mr. Chen is 60 years old and has over 3 years left on his official contract with the company. At that stage I don't see him staying on much longer as CEO. He may extend the contract for a small time frame but I can see him moving onto strictly a Board of Director Chairman role. The grunt work of a CEO would be better suited for someone a little younger at that time.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:04 PM
    He doesn't work at the BB global headquarters in Waterloo. He works out of California where I believe his family also resides and he flies up to Waterloo every now and then.
    I'm pretty sure he was quoted in an interview remarking on how long he's away from home. I can find it if you want but he apparently travels abroad most of the time. Also, doesn't that make the situation worse that he's just working from Cali then, haha.
    07-29-15 05:44 AM
    He's in it for the long haul, he has a passion to turn it around even if it's not the same vision of BlackBerry we all want to see. I doubt he'll give up.. giving up doesn't seem like his thing and having a 'failure' attached to his name doesn't seem like something he'd be OK with. Question is.. what does he deem a success? When is it time for him to move on? How much money do they have to make? What's his end goal overall?
    What's long haul to you? I can almost guarantee he will not stick around that long after his vested options are ready.

Like I said, he might stay on the board for the long term but I believe he can fully turn around the company in 5 years. Being a ceo is ridiculously stressful. I believe his goal is to either sell the company when it's healthy enough ( he's even mentioned this in interviews when the stock price reflects the value) or put it in such a great place that it can grow on its own.

He's like 60 years old! A lot of companies even have clauses to force you out once you reach a certain age.
    07-29-15 05:50 AM