Maybe we'll see a swing back to qerty phones years from now and to "reinvent " the iphone they'll make a qwerty.
    04-17-14 06:13 PM
    They'll never make one...

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:16 PM
    Honestly, I don't ever think physical keyboards will come around again by other manufacturers besides blackberry and possibly 3rd party accessory makers (think typo). The physical keyboard market is the one market that BlackBerry completely owns basically and even if others did make physical keyboard phones, I doubt people would buy them because they'd either be too used to on screen keyboards, or they'd miss screen space - unless the screen stayed the same 4 inch or so size, making the phone awkwardly long. That's just my 2 cents though.
    04-17-14 06:20 PM
    Never ever ever. Probably the next step is getting rid of the home button and have a sensor with TouchID under the screen fill that position.
    04-17-14 07:10 PM
    No.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    04-17-14 10:26 PM
    No.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    What phone is in your picture? Which BlackBerry is that? Why are you so certain they will never make one?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 10:45 PM
    Maybe we'll see a swing back to qwerty phones years from now and to "reinvent " the iphone they'll make a qwerty.
    Orrrrr maybe we will go back to flip phones. Like the razr. Since we're swinging back haha.

But seriously, I can't really call it. It seems touching screens is the way the future is set up.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 10:49 PM
    Keyboards are a dying breed. They're not coming back.
    04-17-14 11:03 PM
    Apple really needs to do something.
    It's always been the same crap since the first iPhone was released.
    Same format, same physical phone for the most part, and the os is almost exactly the same as well.
    What has really changed? Nothing. Boring as hell.

A keyboard would be different. I would see that as a good thing.

Blackberry 4life

Posted via my Vic20
    04-17-14 11:26 PM
    Hardware keyboards are like the manual transmission in cars (at least in North America). In function, they offer some benefits. And there will always be a small group of enthusiasts that will appreciate and want them. But in the grand scheme of things the majority of people prefer the convenience offered by an automatic, to the point where a manual isn't even an option available in most cars.
    04-17-14 11:45 PM
    I doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 11:47 PM
    Why would apple go after 1% market when they can go after the 70% android market.
    04-18-14 12:02 AM
    Hardware keyboards are like the manual transmission in cars (at least in North America). In function, they offer some benefits. And there will always be a small group of enthusiasts that will appreciate and want them. But in the grand scheme of things the majority of people prefer the convenience offered by an automatic, to the point where a manual isn't even an option available in most cars.
    Yep, that's just North America, anywhere else very few people consider automatic cars. Goes to show how important local markets are.

Also generally automatic cars have worse fuel economy.

#believeinfilm
    04-18-14 03:42 AM
    I could sooner envision Microsoft (considering their enterprise endeavors) going for it before Apple would. I do wonder what those fellows in Cupertino think of the whole Typo fiasco.
    04-18-14 04:11 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 04:11 PM
    Querty phone demand is not very big in the consumer market and apple is doing very well with sales of its iPhones. With that in mind, I don't see an incentive for them to make a querty device.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    04-18-14 04:39 PM
    Maybe we'll see a swing back to qerty phones years from now and to "reinvent " the iphone they'll make a qwerty.
    Most definitely not. They are already sell many, many iPhones without keyboards. Additionally, and I think this is important, Apple as a company is very focused on minimizing its supply chain costs. Companies reduce their supply chain costs by (among other approaches) offering a limited number of products to allow the same manufacturing procedures on as many products as possible and by making products that are as simple construction-wise as possible. A physical keyboard, especially on a non-candy bar form factor smartphone (i.e. any type of slider), would create a second form factor for Apple to assemble and would increase the complexity and cost of manufacturing relative to the current, single slab iPhone. Both of the things would reduce supply chain efficiency and would increase costs.

On a semi-related note, I think Apple's focus on supply chain efficiency, along with an emphasis (IMO, an overemphasis) on ergonomic design (i.e. being able to use a smartphone one-handed), is a primary reason why Apple has been very reluctant to increase the size of the iPhone.
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-18-14 10:25 PM