cury... cause at this point thats all I really want. Yes the BlackBerry software on android seems a bit better than the stock crap google offers... but I bet their are enough 3rd party tools that you could survive without their software...

Of course id rather have a bb10 pbk phone with perfect android app compatability... but come on guys, none of that is happening. It seems like we wont even get another midtier pkb... im typing this long post on a priv that currently cant use LTE in nyc because it will crash the cell modem...
    But im ok, cause I got my pbk...

Ill take any decent android one in the future... but who would even make it? BlackBerry's failings have tainted the form so much... no one would touch it at this point...

Ugh
    Stock crap Google offers? Have you had Nexus 5/6/5x/6p as your daily driver?

Posted through my BlackBerry
    11-07-16 12:05 PM
    I just read a very gloomy crackberry thread about TCL / BlackBerry relations with the dtek phones. It mentioned poor dtek50 sales (7k sales only??) and only 20k dtek60 ordered by BlackBerry. The implication is that BlackBerry android phones are doing so poorly the mercury is likely dead before arrival.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of that post, but in reading it, it seemed consistent with how weirdly BlackBerry was acting before the dtek60 launch.

I'm wondering if anyone, blaze for instance, has any comments about this?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-07-16 01:45 PM
    I just read a very gloomy crackberry thread about TCL / BlackBerry relations with the dtek phones. It mentioned poor dtek50 sales (7k sales only??) and only 20k dtek60 ordered by BlackBerry. The implication is that BlackBerry android phones are doing so poorly the mercury is likely dead before arrival.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of that post, but in reading it, it seemed consistent with how weirdly BlackBerry was acting before the dtek60 launch.

I'm wondering if anyone, blaze for instance, has any comments about this?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    The problem with this post is that it from a new user who has only made this one post and there is no way to verify if there is any factual basis to it. As a result, many people have concluded it is a hoax and the thread it was posted in has been closed.
    11-07-16 02:40 PM
    Sometimes it only takes one for the truth to come out
    11-07-16 03:59 PM
    Sometimes it only takes one for the truth to come out
    Still, we frequently get this type of "drive by" one shot posts on CrackBerry that are later proven to be false.
    11-07-16 05:07 PM
    Still, we frequently get this type of "drive by" one shot posts on CrackBerry that are later proven to be false.
    Yep, better to keep faith as opposed of the contrary. On the other hand faith has been lost long ago
    11-07-16 05:51 PM
    Therein lies the problem. It isn't.

I came to BlackBerry by specifically seeking out a pkb phone. It is quite clear there are not nearly enough people like me to make pkb profitable. Your hypothetical users who have to type so much while away from their desk are also the kind of people who would do the same, and yet by and large they don't. They have adapted, found other solutions, and generally abandoned pkb phones.
    I agree that that is the question. It's difficult to know the true demand for this market unless a major player like Samsung or Apple were to release a high quality PKB phone. Moreover, the rise of ultra portable tablet/keyboards and laptops with fast-booting SSDs mean that a full-keyboard typing experience is often less than 60 seconds away. Most people in the PKB segment are also touch typists who are even faster on traditional keyboards.

But, I still suspect that a mainstream high quality Android PKB could achieve sales of several million units. Of course, for a mainstream manufacturer, sales of only a few million units would constitute a time-wasting, brand-diluting flop, unless is was a unique, passport-style "concept phone."

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 01:39 PM
    OP, I personally don't think any OEM is going to bring out a device with a physical keyboard (that you can remove)

Reasons:

1) it takes a away screen real estate and people loving gaming and watching media content in 16:9
    2) prevents people from using VR heardsets.

I personally would really hate the idea of having to one day put down my qwerty knowing, there will never be another one and it's all touch from now on. That's why I cling to my Q5 and was really crossing my fingers to win a BlackBerry Classic from Crackberry but it wasn't meant to be.

I'm praying so much that I'm able to get the 'Mercury' next year.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    11-09-16 01:46 PM
    apple got large amount of fake app recently...look like BB got some potential hoax post - would be interesting to see the source if it got any link with short seller of hedge fund... the world is very complicated... BB security not good enough to root out fake app or fake post? (apple always got problem with fake app, remember the bbm fake? all from chinese made... flood gate open).
    What in the world does that have to do with PKB phones? Oh, that's right, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!
    11-09-16 04:44 PM
    The market for vinyl:
    - Retirees who didn't get the memo
    - Obnoxious hipsters
    - Audiophiles (see obnoxious hipsters)

Physical keyboards have at most the first entry.
    This is a terrible generalization.

Just because a thing is not mainstream doesn't mean is stupid.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 STA100-5
    11-09-16 04:50 PM
    unless a major player like Samsung or Apple were to release a high quality PKB phone.
    Samsung at least had a couple of quality PKB phones, albeit not flagship-level quality. I happen to own a couple of them. They were low/mid-range in their day so specs weren't great and even worse now, but I can certainly attest to their reliability and build quality.

Posted on my Model M.
    11-09-16 05:25 PM
    Sorry for the repost from other threads, but here's my Samsung S7 with official detachable hardware keyboard accessory - it's awesome.

Do you think anyone will make a decent android phone with a pkb if BlackBerry doesnt release the mer-img_20160702_170112.jpg

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 12:42 AM
    It will be interesting to see if the Indonesian licence holder makes a cheap PKB running Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 01:48 AM
    Lots of things have changed since this thread was first posted.
    If you think of an "Android" as a robot, Then it's easy to see that many mobile device users have already turned into Androids.
    By the time they grow out of the game phase,they won't have any idea how to interact with the living except to text their thoughts to the person sitting across from them.

So, NO! While people are turning into androids everyday, They run like their counterparts....... gamie.
    12-16-16 02:46 AM
    Found an article about a review of a Samsung add-on keyboard and found this quote interesting:

Unfortunately, in the few minutes I spent demoing the keyboard, I didn't find it particularly easy to type on. The keys are not very well separated, and they kind of all blend together under my thumbs (the skeptic in me thinks that it was specifically designed to avoid looking like a BlackBerry keyboard and the*inevitable lawsuits that would come with that...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/13/91...5-s6-edge-plus

Posted via CB10
    12-18-16 10:52 PM
    I dunno man. I really have a difficult time sharing in all the 'gloom and doom' dialogue. As far as I know, BlackBerry's last official comment on the subject was that the iconic qwerty keyboard was not going anywhere. Here's an article from the verge who normally takes every cheapshot at the company they can, yet somehow it seems an appropriate 'defense' of the company for this thread:
    http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...e-discontinued
    So "predominantly" isn't dead...? :-)))

�   10.3.3 - that's the go for me... ;-D   �
    12-21-16 01:22 AM
    Amazing, I posted this 2 months ago and forgot to check back. Didnt realize it turned into a good thread. Im hoping the tcl thing amounts to something. At least 20 percent of ppl who see me typing on my pbk priv lament how they miss their keyboards. I do think if the entire smartphone market is the whole world, there is a segment that would buy a pbk in a second that amounts to millions of ppl if not more. But BlackBerry as a brand is so dead and that mythical pbk device would need marketing and to be ubiquitous to matter. I havent seen BlackBerry phones being marketed and positioned since the launch of bb10... who would even bother at this point is my worry
    12-21-16 09:10 PM
67 123