This argument comes up nearly every time a pkb vs a vkb is discussed. You can't compare a notebook or desktop keyboard to a phone keyboard. I don't type on a pkb with it laying flat on a desk with two hands the same as I don't type on a notebook or desktop keyboard holding it in one or both hands. They aren't interchangeable and one doesn't equate to the other.
    Because of the way you hold a device, you disqualify any comparisons between the two..?
    Both phone and pc keyboards have the same layout. That means you can learn the position of the keys by sense of touch alone (blind typing). An important part in that method is tactile feedback. This is pretty much lost on all virtual keyboards, so they rely on software assistance to make up for any losses in accuracy.

And for my taste, that software accuracy is nowhere near smart enough yet.

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed ✓
    11-05-16 07:21 PM
    No one is allowed to make a phone with a 'PKB' anymore...

If someone made a phone with a PKB Blackberry would pounce on them.

I remember one guy made a keyboard extension for the iphone lol.. and blackberry sued the hell out of him.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    11-05-16 07:26 PM
    No one is allowed to make a phone with a 'PKB' anymore...

If someone made a phone with a PKB Blackberry would pounce on them.

I remember one guy made a keyboard extension for the iphone lol.. and blackberry sued the hell out of him.
    That's ridiculous. Of course they can, they just don't want to. The keyboard that Blackberry sued over wasn't because it was just a pkb, it was because it was a pkb that looked exactly like BB's.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-05-16 09:15 PM
    Because of the way you hold a device, you disqualify any comparisons between the two..?
    Both phone and pc keyboards have the same layout. That means you can learn the position of the keys by sense of touch alone (blind typing). An important part in that method is tactile feedback. This is pretty much lost on all virtual keyboards, so they rely on software assistance to make up for any losses in accuracy.

And for my taste, that software accuracy is nowhere near smart enough yet.

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed ✓
    Yes I do disqualify it. The way you hold it makes a huge difference when comparing a flat keyboard sitting at a desk and a phone keyboard that you are holding with one or two hands. If it doesn't matter then try sitting your Blackberry down on a desk and typing with any type of speed while not looking at it with two hands.
    11-05-16 09:17 PM
    There is still a good market for cheap pkb phones in Asia. Just look at the nokia 215. It has a numeric pad but a cheap pkb could work with this form, too. Of course, it would just be a pretty basic smartphone, probably low profit margin.

You never know. Heck, someone on youtube even made a mobile rotary cellphone! Look it up, some guy named Volt. Or, there is the Light Phone, a truly bare bones mobile phone.

Point is, there is always a niche market for anything!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-05-16 09:22 PM
    That's ridiculous. Of course they can, they just don't want to. The keyboard that Blackberry sued over wasn't because it was just a pkb, it was because it was a pkb that looked exactly like BB's.
    Didn't HTC Cha Cha get a lawsuit against them then ? don't you remember the sh!tstorm they got by BB? or was this in a parallel universe? lol

BB is all about the 'PKB' baby! roll on mercury
    11-05-16 09:30 PM
    Didn't HTC Cha Cha get a lawsuit against them then ? don't you remember the sh!tstorm they got by BB? or was this in a parallel universe? lol

BB is all about the 'PKB' baby! roll on mercury
    No I don't remember that. I do remember that Nokia has made some great physical keyboards and so did the first and second Droid phones by Motorola. Blackberry doesn't own all of the patents for a keyboard.
    11-05-16 09:36 PM
    No I don't remember that. I do remember that Nokia has made some great physical keyboards and so did the first and second Droid phones by Motorola. Blackberry doesn't own all of the patents for a keyboard.
    Nokia made AWESOME PHONES n97... damn
    11-05-16 09:50 PM

Ill take any decent android one in the future... but who would even make it? BlackBerry's failings have tainted the form so much... no one would touch it at this point...

Ugh
    I'm surprised that you humans have survived this long. You just don't get it. you';ve got two platforms. One has certain things that work fine and the other also has certain things that work just fine. So it's only reasonable that they have a way to make them work together.
    So, why don't they.

These mobile toys are just a distraction for what's about to come. I've been talking about digital chip implants for a long time, yet not one person here has ever responded to that issue despite the fact that digital chip implants have been around for about 3 years and in its final testing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

We already have Robots that have the ability to self evolve and we can clone people. The information can be found as easily as Doodling it.

All considered, it all amounts to one thing. Most of you are obviously not even using the 10% that you have! When translated the best i can come up with is You humans are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Hwy! Don't blame me. I'm just good at doing the math.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    11-06-16 04:50 AM
    I'm surprised that you humans have survived this long. You just don't get it. you';ve got two platforms. One has certain things that work fine and the other also has certain things that work just fine. So it's only reasonable that they have a way to make them work together.
    So, why don't they.

These mobile toys are just a distraction for what's about to come. I've been talking about digital chip implants for a long time, yet not one person here has ever responded to that issue despite the fact that digital chip implants have been around for about 3 years and in its final testing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

We already have Robots that have the ability to self evolve and we can clone people. The information can be found as easily as Doodling it.

All considered, it all amounts to one thing. Most of you are obviously not even using the 10% that you have! When translated the best i can come up with is You humans are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Hwy! Don't blame me. I'm just good at doing the math.
    You're not human?
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    11-06-16 07:17 AM
    You're not human?
    No I'm actually Pleiadian which is about 364 light years from Earth.
    There are thousands of us here to observe you earthlings first hand. Every one of your years, about 150 other civilizations come together and the Human Condition" is always reviewed. In the past we always thought that being a young species, you'd get it right eventually, but in the past 100 years, not only have you not gotten it right, but you're going backwards.
    At this point, our main concern is to watch that you don't do irreputable damage to the planet. At that point, if you haven't already brought yourselves to the brink of extinction we will have no choice but to intercede .

And before you ask, we look the same because we are your ancestors.
    As is common for humans to laugh at what they do not understand, I've no doubt you are showing your ignorance as i write this. But rather then explain it all to you, everything you need to know can be found on the internet and through what we left behind and what has been written on the walls of the pyramids of Egypt,and through the history of the Aztecs, the Mayans and the native Indians on what you call America today.

But, it's not for me to make a believer of you, I would never assume to try to convince you that I'm from another planet although humans won't stop trying to convince themselves that there is some invisible all knowing all powerful higher entity watching over you. I can only say what should be obvious to anyone. Hundreds of years of wars, death, destruction should be enough information to point you in a rational direction and knowing what you call an "infinite" universe should also help you rationalize. On any clear evening the Pleiades can be seen with the naked eye.

I am not implying that you are right or wrong. I am only making suggestions that perhaps it's long overdue that you come out from the shadows and not settle for "That's what you were brought up to believe",but instead find out for yourself and then make your own decisions.

Earthlings appear to want to stay separated from those that follow a different path and hold on to useless emotions of darkness and hatred when your survival depends on your world coming together with the simplest of emotions. That of love.

And not for lack of trying, we cannot even begin to comprehend why you choose a path that has no future.
    Take your Jesus, Gandhi, Medger Evers, JFK, RFK, Martin Luther King and John Lennon for example. They all shared the same want and caring for you. They were advocates for Peace. They were all assassinated because of the overwhelming love they felt.

Everything that has been done before you, has brought you to this crossroads that you will be facing in two days.
    No matter the outcome, Your world as you've know it will forever be changed. This may be your last chance to not go down the same destructive path you have followed since your beginning but to try something new.
    Remember... You must be the change you wish to see in this world>
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-06-16 08:38 AM
    There are thousands of us here to observe you earthlings first hand. Every one of your years, about 150 other civilizations come together and the Human Condition" is always reviewed. In the past we always thought that being a young species, you'd get it right eventually, but in the past 100 years, not only have you not gotten it right, but you're going backwards.
    At this point, our main concern is to watch that you don't do irreputable damage to the planet. At that point, if you haven't already brought yourselves to the brink of extinction we will have no choice but to intercede .

As is common for humans to laugh at what they do not understand, I've no doubt you are showing your ignorance as i write this. But rather then explain it all to you, everything you need to know can be found on the internet and through what we left behind and what has been written on the walls of the pyramids of Egypt,and through the history of the Aztecs, the Mayans and the native Indians on what you call America today.

But, it's not for me to make a believer of you, I would never assume to try to convince you that I'm from another planet although humans won't stop trying to convince themselves that there is some invisible all knowing all powerful higher entity watching over you. I can only say what should be obvious to anyone. Hundreds of years of wars, death, destruction should be enough information to point you in a rational direction and knowing what you call an "infinite" universe should also help you rationalize. On any clear evening the Pleiades can be seen with the naked eye.

I am not implying that you are right or wrong. I am only making suggestions that perhaps it's long overdue that you come out from the shadows and not settle for "That's what you were brought up to believe",but instead find out for yourself and then make your own decisions.

Earthlings appear to want to stay separated from those that follow a different path and hold on to useless emotions of darkness and hatred when your survival depends on your world coming together with the simplest of emotions. That of love.

And not for lack of trying, we cannot even begin to comprehend why you choose a path that has no future.
    Take your Jesus, Gandhi, Medger Evers, JFK, RFK, Martin Luther King and John Lennon for example. They all shared the same want and caring for you. They were advocates for Peace. They were all assassinated because of the overwhelming love they felt.

Everything that has been done before you, has brought you to this crossroads that you will be facing in two days.
    No matter the outcome, Your world as you've know it will forever be changed. This may be your last chance to not go down the same destructive path you have followed since your beginning but to try something new.
    Wow. I'm just surprised it took you all 100 years to realize we we're nuts.
    11-06-16 08:53 AM
    pkb are a thing of the past. face it. No one who wants to make money on a new phone is going to release a pkb phone. I certainly hope, for all the BB fans out there who are unwilling to face the future, that they produce one. But honestly, do YOU think they will??
    Meanwhile TheDroidGuy recently published a list of Top 7 Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards. The Priv of course was No.1, but the Passport came in at No. 4 after phones by Motorola and Nokia.
    Top 7 Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards
    11-06-16 12:56 PM
    Meanwhile TheDroidGuy recently published a list of Top 7 Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards. The Priv of course was No.1, but the Passport came in at No. 4 after phones by Motorola and Nokia.
    Top 7 Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards
    The list at the top is anything (even BB10 and Symbian) with a QWERTY released in the past 6 years; the Priv is the only phone from 2015 or newer on the list.

The actual Top 7 Android QWERTY phones list is further down the page. From there, most of those phones are from 2012, the newest entry on that list is the LG Optimus F3Q from 2014. The intro to the #1 entry Motorola (!) Photon Q 4G LTE sums the whole thing up:

Not sure whether we should laugh or cry seeing a mid-2012 phone top a 2014 list. But that’s how behind the market is for QWERTY aficionados. And mind you, the Photon Q was hardly a high-ender when it first saw daylight, back in July 2012.
    11-06-16 01:23 PM

Just intercede. I could go for some alien invasion stuff.
    11-06-16 02:20 PM
    Someone watching too much ancient alien episodes on history channel lately...

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-06-16 03:48 PM
    Someone watching too much ancient alien episodes on history channel lately...

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE

Really? Is that the best you've got referring to some TV show? Are you so closed to even consider that among the infinite amount of star systems outside your galaxy that your planet is not the only one with living beings?

That's not only a very paranoid sense of denial but ignorance at it's worst!

OK, maybe I'm over reacting. I'm sure you'll understand some of this when you grow up!!

..The History Channel
    11-06-16 10:51 PM
    For all those who say there is a market for physical keyboard phones, I'd like you to show us all your market research that proves your point.

We're looking for more than a CrackBerry poll here.
    11-07-16 12:48 AM
    The market for vinyl:
    - Retirees who didn't get the memo
    - Obnoxious hipsters
    - Audiophiles (see obnoxious hipsters)

Physical keyboards have at most the first entry.
    I wish I could retire... ;-D *rotfl*

Where's my pension & super payments?

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    11-07-16 02:37 AM
    I think it all depends on how mobile tech evolves in the next few years. If it stays roughly the same, yeah I think someone will make a pkb phone in the next 2-5 years. If there's a niche market, companies will try to serve it because the slab market is saturated and has a low profit margin. The same way Samsung builds flip phones and CAT builds rugged androids, someone will make pkb phone. ATM it's not worth to make one because BB has all the market share for pkb users.

There are many threats though. If voice recognition or predictive AI writing evolve significantly, the niche market will shrink to the point it's not worth to build a phone for it.
    11-07-16 03:38 AM
    Just intercede. I could go for some alien invasion stuff.
    No invasion.... just eviction!
    11-07-16 06:49 AM
    I think it all depends on how mobile tech evolves in the next few years. If it stays roughly the same, yeah I think someone will make a pkb phone in the next 2-5 years. If there's a niche market, companies will try to serve it because the slab market is saturated and has a low profit margin. The same way Samsung builds flip phones and CAT builds rugged androids, someone will make pkb phone. ATM it's not worth to make one because BB has all the market share for pkb users.

There are many threats though. If voice recognition or predictive AI writing evolve significantly, the niche market will shrink to the point it's not worth to build a phone for it.

And I believe I read it on one of these threads somewhere that the microchip implant will be able to do everything your mobile device can't.

Personally, I won't trust mobile technology until I can download food!
    11-07-16 06:53 AM
    A niche market that's profitable is still worth serving
    Therein lies the problem. It isn't.

I came to BlackBerry by specifically seeking out a pkb phone. It is quite clear there are not nearly enough people like me to make pkb profitable. Your hypothetical users who have to type so much while away from their desk are also the kind of people who would do the same, and yet by and large they don't. They have adapted, found other solutions, and generally abandoned pkb phones.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-07-16 09:20 AM
    Therein lies the problem. It isn't.

I came to BlackBerry by specifically seeking out a pkb phone. It is quite clear there are not nearly enough people like me to make pkb profitable. Your hypothetical users who have to type so much while away from their desk are also the kind of people who would do the same, and yet by and large they don't. They have adapted, found other solutions, and generally abandoned pkb phones.
    I dunno man. I really have a difficult time sharing in all the 'gloom and doom' dialogue. As far as I know, BlackBerry's last official comment on the subject was that the iconic qwerty keyboard was not going anywhere. Here's an article from the verge who normally takes every cheapshot at the company they can, yet somehow it seems an appropriate 'defense' of the company for this thread:
    http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...e-discontinued
    11-07-16 10:25 AM
    I dunno man. I really have a difficult time sharing in all the 'gloom and doom' dialogue. As far as I know, BlackBerry's last official comment on the subject was that the iconic qwerty keyboard was not going anywhere.
    Yeah, I've seen that too. Trouble is that article and comment are old, from prior to DTEK60 launch. Around the time of DTEK60 launch some rather discouraging remarks were made by people higher up the chain than Thurber. The Mercury (alluded to in that article) appears to be stillborn. There is only the Indonesian partner that we know of (and no way they're going to build a high-spec device like the Mercury was rumored to be), with no indication of more coming. Maybe if we get news of a larger partner signing on, I'll change my opinion, but at this time I have zero confidence we will see another BlackBerry pkb.

The Priv very well may be it. The market is just not large enough to sustain.
    11-07-16 10:49 AM
67 123