They have no new phones nor a new tablet coming out until later in the year. Meanwhile, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, SONY, LG, and just about everyone are showing off something new, and in some cases exciting, NOW. Rumor has it that Apple plans to release the next iPad sometime in March and the next iPhone either the usual June-ish release date or maybe later on like the iPhone 4S. All RIM has that's really exciting is OS 2.0. And that's ink really exciting to those who are excited about RIM/Play Book.

Doesn't look like 2012 will be RIM's year but it looks good for "just about" everyone else.
    Where have you been? RIM has been releasing new phones over most of the past year. They are a pretty wide range of devices, all running OS7 which if one actually spends any time with it, is a fantastic OS on solid hardware. I have the Torch 9850 and it s car better than the android stuff I tried at Verizon. Fast, smooth graphics, lots of apps, and excellent sound quality. But you have to actually try them without being prejudiced about then not being A or A devices.

And now we expect the BB10 phones less than a year after the OS7 phones have been released. Seems pretty fast to me, regardless of what others say. Yes, delays suck. But RIM is not just sitting there. CES has shown that.

RIM is rolling!
    01-11-12 08:45 PM
    Where have you been? RIM has been releasing new phones over most of the past year. They are a pretty wide range of devices, all running OS7 which if one actually spends any time with it, is a fantastic OS on solid hardware. I have the Torch 9850 and it s car better than the android stuff I tried at Verizon. Fast, smooth graphics, lots of apps, and excellent sound quality. But you have to actually try them without being prejudiced about then not being A or A devices.

And now we expect the BB10 phones less than a year after the OS7 phones have been released. Seems pretty fast to me, regardless of what others say. Yes, delays suck. But RIM is not just sitting there. CES has shown that.

RIM is rolling!
    Your talking about what was released either last year or what's supposed to be released later this year. Most everyone else is at CES showing off new and in some cases, exciting phones and tablets now.

Makes its pretty easy for someone looking for a new phone to forget RIM and look at what the carriers are pushing at them.

War Is All We Know
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 01-11-12 at 09:46 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-11-12 08:49 PM
    Without OS10, 2012 will not be the year for RIM. Actually, it might be one of their hardest. Unless something changes, RIM has absolutely no plans of releasing any new hardware of any kind for a whole year. Aside from rumors of OS10, I expect RIM to be out of the news for a while. I don't expect there to be any more major updates to either the BB7 phones or the PlayBook until OS10.

I expect 2013 to be the year for RIM. If they can keep everything on track they could release BB10 devices as well as an update to the PlayBook. OS10 could make it as visually appealing as Android and iOS as well as adding some of the BlackBerry functionality. But as for 2012, no. PlayBook OS2 is very nice, don't get me wrong, but an OS update isn't enough to satisfy the hungry consumers for a year.
    01-11-12 09:19 PM
    Your talking about what was released either last year or what's supposed to be released later this year. Most everyone else is at CES showing off new and in some cases, exciting phones and tablets now.

Makes its pretty easy for someone looking for a new phone to forget RIM and look at what the carriers are pushing at them.

War Is All We Know
    The only thing RIM showed at CES was a software update for hardware that was released last year.
    01-11-12 11:51 PM
    RIM will probably not surpass android nor ios, but the bleeding will stop. Which is a good start
    01-12-12 12:49 AM
    Without OS10, 2012 will not be the year for RIM. Actually, it might be one of their hardest. Unless something changes, RIM has absolutely no plans of releasing any new hardware of any kind for a whole year. Aside from rumors of OS10, I expect RIM to be out of the news for a while. I don't expect there to be any more major updates to either the BB7 phones or the PlayBook until OS10.

I expect 2013 to be the year for RIM. If they can keep everything on track they could release BB10 devices as well as an update to the PlayBook. OS10 could make it as visually appealing as Android and iOS as well as adding some of the BlackBerry functionality. But as for 2012, no. PlayBook OS2 is very nice, don't get me wrong, but an OS update isn't enough to satisfy the hungry consumers for a year.
    Rumors? What rumors? It's been official that RIM is going to have a little bit of information at the European DevCon and then completely show of BB10 at Mobile World Congress end of February.

And they also said the phones will be available second half of the year. This will be a really crucial year to RIM's future.
    01-12-12 01:10 AM
    They will certainly be back from ... the deep.
    This does not mean they won the "war" and will necessarily be #1.
    As a side note, I'll say that being the #1 in VOLUME is not a goal by itself, as the ecosystem of RIM is also mostly based on services and software (BES & related) ... So we have to think profitability (I guess the board too lol) and if RIM gets back to the tremendous level they had some years ago ... Then we might claim : STRIKE !
    01-12-12 02:11 AM
    Let us hope the top hierarchy of RIM can release the products on time.
    01-12-12 09:12 AM
    I think 2012 is all about the iPhone 5.
    01-12-12 10:10 AM
    I think 2012 is all about the iPhone 5.
    Maybe, but with Steve Jobs gone to the great iWorld in the sky, I'm curious of their ability to maintain their momentum.
    01-12-12 10:23 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD