By always listening, I mean even in stand-by. And if the phone has a sealed battery, maybe always. The Moto X has this feature, that you can just tell it to call someone, which seems kind of cool. But now that we know the extent to which our technology is being abused by authorities, this seems like a really bad idea.

On the other hand, maybe I could sell little boxes that have speakers with white noise inside. You just place your phone in the box when not using it.
    08-02-13 10:46 AM
    It's from Google, right ? I'm sure they would never use any information about you without your permission. Google? No. ��
    08-02-13 10:56 AM
    In fact, the Moto X doesn't 'always listen like you put it. The voice recognition of the Moto X is offline and stays offline until you say "Ok Google Now".

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, Berry_Pink, bekkay and 1 others like this.
    08-02-13 12:09 PM
    Do you really want to receive e-mails on your phone?

Do you really want a still camera on your phone?

Do you really want to browse the web on your phone?

Do you really want to carry your music on your phone?

Do you really want to surf the web on your phone?

Do you really want GPS on your phone?

Do you really want a video camera on your phone?

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. If people want this feature, they'll buy the phone. If they don't, they won't. But the "do you really want X" question is a silly one that gets trotted out, wrongly, every time a new feature is announced.
    08-02-13 12:21 PM
    In fact, the Moto X doesn't 'always listen like you put it. The voice recognition of the Moto X is offline and stays offline until you say "Ok Google Now".

Posted via CB10
    So how does it know you said "OK Google Now" if the voice recognition is offline? That means the mic is still on, waiting for input.
    lactose likes this.
    08-02-13 12:53 PM
    So how does it know you said "OK Google Now" if the voice recognition is offline? That means the mic is still on, waiting for input.
    You can disable that super secret spying feature. Simply buy a roll of Reynolds Heavy Duty aluminum foil at your local supermarket and make a nice hat from a few sheets.
    TgeekB, bekkay, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    08-02-13 12:59 PM
    Are you implying that the phone is constantly recording and uploading audio clips... I am sure the constant battery drain and the higher than usual data usage would trigger something... I agree with Wiki Cydia word for word.
    mikeo007, Berry_Pink and JeepBB like this.
    08-02-13 01:01 PM
    Do you really want to receive e-mails on your phone?

Do you really want a still camera on your phone?

Do you really want to browse the web on your phone?

Do you really want to carry your music on your phone?

Do you really want to surf the web on your phone?

Do you really want GPS on your phone?

Do you really want a video camera on your phone?

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. If people want this feature, they'll buy the phone. If they don't, they won't. But the "do you really want X" question is a silly one that gets trotted out, wrongly, every time a new feature is announced.
    You forgot: Do you really want APPS?
    08-02-13 01:02 PM
    It seems that this is exactly what got Blackberry in trouble....dismissing features that are not considered "priority" and it seems some die-hard blackberry fans seems to still hold this sentiment. I look at it this way....the phone CAN do it....what developers do with it is left to their imagination and usually it means a far more worthwhile and future proof device than the standard blackberry. Even now, my z10 is getting boring, 10.2 will definately update the OS a bunch and it will make a lot more functional but what else? function is not everything when it comes to selling a product...i.e. do you really want a warm tushie when you drive a car?
    bekkay, TgeekB and raremage like this.
    08-02-13 01:04 PM
    I'm working on an Android app called "Sesame". This will allow easy recognition of Moto X users as they repeatedly shout "ok google now, open sesame". It's designed to open on the tenth try.
    08-02-13 01:09 PM
    As long as the capability is there you could never be sure it couldn't be turned on. Which is why I think these white noise boxes are the way to go. I brought this up because I am 99% sure that the Snapdragon chipset can run the audio stack in stand-by and the Z10 uses the Snapdragon.
    08-02-13 01:20 PM
    You can disable that super secret spying feature. Simply buy a roll of Reynolds Heavy Duty aluminum foil at your local supermarket and make a nice hat from a few sheets.
    The tin foil hat meme can no longer be applied to people talking about governments prying into personal lives. Have you read the news lately?

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    08-02-13 01:35 PM
    It's an attention-grabbing feature - something that can be used to differentiate a relatively standard smartphone from a crowded field with similar basic capabilities. Blackberry should take note because there's no way its new phones can get any additional marketshare if all it does it attempt to match the basic functionality of mid-range smartphones.

That's the biggest problem with the A10 - all it has that's really special about it is that it's a Blackberry. There's no way that can succeed.
    08-02-13 01:48 PM
    No, I don't.
    08-02-13 02:21 PM
    The tin foil hat meme can no longer be applied to people talking about governments prying into personal lives. Have you read the news lately?
    Indeed, I have. And that doesn't mean paranoids now have carte blanche.
    bekkay and JeepBB like this.
    08-02-13 02:44 PM
    Funny.
    It's from Google, right ? I'm sure they would never use any information about you without your permission. Google? No. ��
    08-02-13 02:46 PM
    I hope they don't find out my hidden, deepest, darkest secret - that I'm a boring average person.
    JeepBB and Berry_Pink like this.
    08-02-13 02:46 PM
    If BB had released this capability, folks here would be touting it as the greatest feature ever, and proof that BB was going to rise from the ashes and take over the entire phone market due to the amazing and future-thinking engineers and developers who made it happen.

Don't worry, no one is going to make you or anyone else buy a Moto X, but plenty of people are going to realize what a game-changer this can be for them. But it's not for everyone, and that's perfectly okay.
    08-02-13 03:14 PM
    No, I don't.
    You don't count. You still want a BBOS7 device.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 03:24 PM
    You don't count. You still want a BBOS7 device.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, what? Don't you think not wanting a phone that listens is part of the reason I like BBOS?
    08-03-13 03:12 AM
    A phone that really always listens could be quite useful - but completely culture changing device. I could see it quickly becoming the case that employers would ban employees carrying them. Shops would not like them. It could work both for and against police....
    So at work you go to a presentation it's confidential. You don't have to think let me record this but after the event you think wish I recorded that - with this tech it's already done. One day your boss looses it and tells you where to f**ing go. Hang on I got you on record....
    Your in a restraint and the bills wrong, the waiter is rude....
    Your stopped by police for loitering but you suspect racial profiling....
    And on and on....and vice versa...
    Your stopped by police and they take your phone and make you play back what you been saying....

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 04:08 AM
    i knew it was only a matter of time before that feature got twisted into something sinister lol

its a voice activated feature thats all and you have to say "ok google now" which is in your face obvious and hardly... as the above poster paints it "top secret always recording conversations without anyone knowing" big brother surveillance. its the same as siri and blackberrys viki except hands free
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-03-13 04:35 AM
    With "offline" I mean "no internet based voice processing". The phone can her you, but nothing gets recorded or online processed until you say those magic words.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 04:39 AM
    A phone that is always listening would be great!

I'd worry about speech recognition accuracy, and the device picking the wrong time to be "smart"! Me bad-mouthing my boss to a friend, is NOT the time I want my phone to recognise my boss's name, then call my boss and relay my conversation to him! LOL

I wouldn't worry about super-secret government agencies listening in to my conversations (as was I believe OP's point) - that's just paranoia. For 1, I'm not that interesting... and 2, the agencies concerned are smarter than that!

Yes, governments spy. Even on their own citizens. I'm shocked that anyone would be shocked by that news frankly.

However, any agency that believed that the best way to gather intell is to record hours upon hours of random background chatter, from millions of phones, and then relay that audio back to the spooks... needs to employ smarter people!
    08-03-13 04:42 AM
    As long as the capability is there you could never be sure it couldn't be turned on. Which is why I think these white noise boxes are the way to go. I brought this up because I am 99% sure that the Snapdragon chipset can run the audio stack in stand-by and the Z10 uses the Snapdragon.
    This sort of post is why I comeback to cb.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-03-13 05:21 AM
26 12