Without a SIM card in my 9700, the berry picks up the router name but the wifi symbol stays greyed out. Wont lock in WiFi without SIM..is this normal?
    12-29-09 12:09 PM
    I'm not sure, that shouldn't be an issue? because the Sim card, and built in Wifi are two different things.
    12-29-09 12:14 PM
    Yup, that's normal

When the wifi symbol is greyed out, it means it's connected to the router but not to BIS. When it's white, it's connected to both.
    12-29-09 12:15 PM
    Yup, that's normal

When the wifi symbol is greyed out, it means it's connected to the router but not to BIS. When it's white, it's connected to both.
    +1 to this its not connected to the bis servers
    12-29-09 12:37 PM
    I took my SIM out and have the grey WiFi symbol as I post. It appears that I can still surf the web. So, other than BBM and E-Mail what else will I not be able to do?

Sorry to thread hijack.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 12:52 PM
    I took my SIM out and have the grey WiFi symbol as I post. It appears that I can still surf the web. So, other than BBM and E-Mail what else will I not be able to do?
    You won't be able to get any of the BB web-based apps to work (Facebook, BB Maps, Google Maps, App World, IM clients etc.) as these all require BIS data.... and obviously you won't be able to send/receive SMS or MMS too.
    12-29-09 01:10 PM
    You won't be able to get any of the BB web-based apps to work (Facebook, BB Maps, Google Maps, App World, IM clients etc.) as these all require BIS data.... and obviously you won't be able to send/receive SMS or MMS too.
    Thanks!

In another scenario, when I am overseas, if I turn data services off, leave my SIM in and connect via WiFi, what can I expect? Is it even possible to connect to WiFi with data services off?

With my WM devices I would have full functionality, being a BB newbie I am a little lost in how the data actually works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD