I use my Blackberry occasionally to listen to music. I have an iPod Touch that's used in my car and a 1st gen Nano for working out. My BB is for when I'm elsewhere and want a quick music fix. The media player works well. I either use Pandora or one of the playlists I have synced from iTunes.
    01-26-11 12:24 PM
    .....Want better audio quality, try kicking up the bit-rate on your ripper. Done........
    Good point. Way back when, prior to getting my first iPod (30gb Photo), I started ripping my CDs, for when the day came that I had an iPod. I started at 128kb (that was what was all over the ads/literature). I got half way through and decided to start over and use 192 (I could hear a difference on some types of songs).

Now, if I buy a CD (only for my most important artists, such as The Promise from Springsteen), I rip at 320. And I stopped using iTunes for purchases and went to Amazon before iTunes went to 256kb.

Would I ever go lossless....probably not, but I am definitely in the camp of wanting improved audio from my MP3s. Then again, at 44, my ears are probably starting to slowly lose the ability to discern the difference from 256 and 320, 192 and 256, etc.....
    01-26-11 12:35 PM
    I fancy myself as a bit of an audiophile (albeit on the cheap!), but I accept the trade-off between quality and convenience. Personally, I prefer the iPhone's UI, but to be honest it's all about what you're used to. Perhaps the apple is a little more instantly accessible, but I dare say the way you come to listen to music differs device-to-device anyway.

The only thing I'm struggling with as far as listening to music on my 9780 goes is downloading tracks directly to the device - can anyone recommend an app to buy songs directly, rather than syncing with a PC?
    Try searching online on your phone for "artist name song name download" or "artist name song name mp3." That's the way I did it when I was too lazy to get on the computer or away from the computer.
    01-26-11 12:38 PM
    I am a bit of an audiophile. I listen to vinyl via my Linn LP12 turntable and Cyrus 2 amplifier. The sound quality is awesome.

I also listen to music on my BB Storm. I listen a lot, but mainly in the car. My favourite tracks are ripped to PC from CD as lossless .wav files or in the case of vinyl recorded onto CD first then ripped. Then they end up on my Storm, as .wav files. They are played in the car either through the cheapo BB headphones, or more usually either plugged into the Denon amp that lies under the seat, or via a cassette adapter into the Denon head unit.
    When plugged directly into the Denon amp, the music quality is very good indeed, and even the cassette interface works pretty well. As an audiophile I will not accept poor quality music reproduction and in my opinion the Storm works pretty
    well.

Using .wav files obviously means that I can't store anything like as many songs on the microSD card as I could were they MP3s, but frankly, I think compressed MP3s are crap. The sound quality is noticeably inferior. It is OK if you are not listening to anything better on a regular basis, but the minute you play a lossless file back to back with even the best MP3 bitrate, the difference is obvious. Sure MP3s are great if you want thousands of songs on your media card but don't kid yourself that the sound quality is great. It might be acceptable, and it clearly is to millions of users, but the MP3 format is a triumph of mediocrity and quantity over optimum listening pleasure. Discussing the merits of BB and other media players stuffed with MP3s is like debating cassette players full of cheap D-quality tapes instead of chrome or metal, or turntables all with their styli covered in fluff.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-26-11 12:45 PM
    As much as I love my berries, I don't use them for music. I love my ipods...
    01-26-11 01:23 PM
    I use my blackberry media player for MP3s, Pandora, Slacker, IheartRadio, and Radio Companion. I love my BlackBerry for listening to music and it is good enough quality for me. I have a 9330 3G Curve at the moment but my 8330 Curve was good too. I even plug it into my aux on my car stereo so I can listen to Pandora in my car.
    01-26-11 02:08 PM
    For some reason, I don't like using my phone to listen to music. I'll stick to my ipod for that. Also, I have bold 9700 & I can't bring myself to spend money for memory card big enough to fit close to 4700 songs, or little over 17 gigs, of music. I know 32gig memory cards are getting cheaper everyday. I'll just stick to my 160gig ipod.
    01-26-11 02:29 PM
    i use my ipod and ipad for music. just use my berry for email. didn't really realize people actually listen to music on their berries...
    01-26-11 02:41 PM
    the one thing that was good on my 9650 was music. i have the incredible and my music sounds really good on it.
    01-26-11 02:53 PM
    Yes, I listen to music on my BlackBerry. I also have the bluetooth stereo gateway, so I can send music to my audio system (which sounds pretty good that way). I also have a small set of portable speakers that I can hook up when I want to have better-quality sound than what comes out of the Tour speaker.

My SD card has a lot of MP3s on it, along with Pandora and the Sirius/XM app, it lets me have music wherever I go.
    01-26-11 03:18 PM
    I listen to music from my BBs all day. I use earbuds while on my tractor, a bluetooth ear piece while doing other chores and its synced up to my truck and my 07 and 2010 mustangs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 03:54 PM
    Yep just like others said, Pandora rocks. Plug that into my AUX in my car, got XM radio for free practically.
    01-26-11 04:02 PM
    Yep just like others said, Pandora rocks. Plug that into my AUX in my car, got XM radio for free practically.
    Yeah, combine Pandora with TuneIn Radio and Yesterberry, you got a pretty good selection to pick from.

POLL: Music Forum on CrackBerry?
    01-26-11 04:19 PM
    I am a bit of an audiophile. I listen to vinyl via my Linn LP12 turntable and Cyrus 2 amplifier. The sound quality is awesome.

I also listen to music on my BB Storm. I listen a lot, but mainly in the car. My favourite tracks are ripped to PC from CD as lossless .wav files or in the case of vinyl recorded onto CD first then ripped. Then they end up on my Storm, as .wav files. They are played in the car either through the cheapo BB headphones, or more usually either plugged into the Denon amp that lies under the seat, or via a cassette adapter into the Denon head unit.
    When plugged directly into the Denon amp, the music quality is very good indeed, and even the cassette interface works pretty well. As an audiophile I will not accept poor quality music reproduction and in my opinion the Storm works pretty
    well.

Using .wav files obviously means that I can't store anything like as many songs on the microSD card as I could were they MP3s, but frankly, I think compressed MP3s are crap. The sound quality is noticeably inferior. It is OK if you are not listening to anything better on a regular basis, but the minute you play a lossless file back to back with even the best MP3 bitrate, the difference is obvious. Sure MP3s are great if you want thousands of songs on your media card but don't kid yourself that the sound quality is great. It might be acceptable, and it clearly is to millions of users, but the MP3 format is a triumph of mediocrity and quantity over optimum listening pleasure. Discussing the merits of BB and other media players stuffed with MP3s is like debating cassette players full of cheap D-quality tapes instead of chrome or metal, or turntables all with their styli covered in fluff.
    I also have a Linn. Outfitted with the Ittok arm, and a Koetsu Rosewood cartridge. What's yours got?
    01-26-11 05:11 PM
    I listen to music from my BBs all day. I use earbuds while on my tractor, a bluetooth ear piece while doing other chores and its synced up to my truck and my 07 and 2010 mustangs

Your the man! +10
    01-26-11 05:37 PM
    I also have a Linn. Outfitted with the Ittok arm, and a Koetsu Rosewood cartridge. What's yours got?
    "I've got a googlephonic stereo with moonrock needle. It's OK for a car stereo, wouldn't want it in my house..." -Steve Martin

Googlephonics | Steve Martin Song - Yahoo! Music
    01-26-11 05:56 PM
    "I've got a googlephonic stereo with moonrock needle. It's OK for a car stereo, wouldn't want it in my house..." -Steve Martin

Googlephonics | Steve Martin Song - Yahoo! Music
    Can I infer from your comment that you've nothing useful to add to the conversation? tell you what, I'll go ahead and make the inference without your permission...
    01-26-11 06:02 PM
    Can I infer from your comment that you've nothing useful to add to the conversation? tell you what, I'll go ahead and make the inference without your permission...
    Lighten up, Francis... It reminded me of that old Steve Martin skit...

I forgot how EVERY one of your posts is on-topic and relevant...
    rick0415 likes this.
    01-26-11 06:08 PM
    Slacker Radio paid subscription
    TuneIn
    16gb of ripped high resolution music from my CD's

Awesome
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 01-26-11 at 06:14 PM.
    01-26-11 06:08 PM
    I play music on my blackberry when I'm running. I don't want to cary a phone and an ipod I want to keep it light but I've never just used it to sit and listen to music. It isn't because the quality is bad but I don't sit and listen to music ever the only time I play music is in my car or while working out. I like it for running it fits all my needs.

01-26-11 06:16 PM
    I use both the torch and an ipod, but it kills the battery on the torch (my battery was just fine on the 9700). I use Tune In, Slacker, Pandora, whatever is loaded on my mem card-and sometimes the radio app of the radio station. I am also hoping 6.1 will give me greater volume control and an Ipod-style EQ.
    Last edited by muse480; 01-26-11 at 06:32 PM.
    01-26-11 06:29 PM
    I listen to music on my BB every single day. Either thru my Jawbone while out, synced in my car while driving, or plugged into my very loud stereo when at home relaxing. Since the original question was, "Do you listen to music on your blackberry?", I think streaming Pandora or TuneIn counts also, not just as an mp3 player. Oh, and I also like to listen in on the local idiots using BBScanner!
    01-26-11 07:02 PM
    I do, a good mp3 with 3g is very handy

01-26-11 07:37 PM
    I can see people with OS 6 being pleased with the media player? But OS 5? Not so much.
    01-26-11 08:13 PM
    I can see people with OS 6 being pleased with the media player? But OS 5? Not so much.
    I was pleased. (That's what she said.)
    01-26-11 08:20 PM
204 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD