View Poll Results: Do you like the new icons?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the new icons are great and should stay

32 43.24%
  • No, further improvement is needed

42 56.76%
    Without the icon background they would get lost in some of the wacky wallpapers people like to use, there's no pleasing everybody I guess.
    And the labels would all but disappear with a really busy background. I like the icon background. If the whole background won't shade out like it does on the current OS 7 and 6, then a shaded box behind each icon is the next best thing.

Sorry, but the shaded box has got to stay
    EsJayDee likes this.
    12-29-12 02:39 PM
    I honestly believe that the BB OS 7.1 Icons look SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. Does anyone else agree? I love the way the OS 7 icons look they are very nice and detailed but thats just my two cents.
    I also prefer BB7 icons over iOS and BB10 icons
    12-29-12 02:48 PM
    i don't believe this is the final version of the UI the icons are to plain to be all and far to grainy, liek a smaller image blown up
    How can you tell? Both images are highly compressed. Or have you seen the actual png icons that weren't from a posted screen grab?
    12-29-12 02:49 PM
    the one on playbook are fab....why dont they do the same !!
    12-29-12 02:50 PM
    I am fine with the icons having that background as it will prevent them from looking unusable on some background even if some people think that losing it entirely would look better in some situations, the simple fact of the matter is that rim needs to control their own brand images and has to avoid the scenarios where they could make themselves look bad which would be why they will not be allowing people to switch the shading on or off since they would have no control over people doing it when the background would be unsuitable.

In saying this, I think they should still try to trim some of the sides on that grey background to allow bigger gaps between the icons since that would increase usability when moving icons around with little to no detriment visually.
    12-29-12 02:55 PM
    Everyone keeps saying "ditch the background and they'd be perfect" etc. But I think you'd be suprised on how much less uniform they'd look w/o the background. And that's my #1 quirk on the PlayBook.. The ranging icon sizes make the OS look sooooo incomplete, it's a joke. The uniformity is good, and I won't feel like I need to organize the icons by what sizes look good next to eachother, but rather sort by what apps make sense to put next to eachother.

Also, people need to chill about not seeing their background image on the icon launcher.. You get to see your full background unobstructed on the lock screen, and the app launcher screen in meant for ONE THING! And that's launching an app quickly and getting off of it, you don't just chill and hang out on there like you do on iOS.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-29-12 03:23 PM
    the text messaging icon looks nicer than previous 'box bubbles' that were used for the txt icon... dont know about the background.. the icons should just be free floating! i hope the final os release has the icons without the box around it...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 05:10 PM
    There are no promises that these are the final graphic designs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 05:21 PM
    Some icons have changed again for the better in my opinion(text message one)
    More BlackBerry Z10 (L-Series) Photos Surface - N4BB

The original icons are so ugly I really hope that was never intended to be final.
    Good eye!
    I hadn't noticed that....glad to see that they are still working on them...though being this close to the launch date I suspect that any changes will be very minor
    12-29-12 05:46 PM
    The best thing about the latest shots is that the static calendar icon now corresponds with the actual day instead of reading 31 all the time. This is a good indication that the software in the latest leak is very close if not thee software that will launch. RIM it seems is crossing T's and dotting I's. Its always erked me that my PlayBook stays on 31.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 05:47 PM
    Everyone keeps saying "ditch the background and they'd be perfect" etc. But I think you'd be suprised on how much less uniform they'd look w/o the background. And that's my #1 quirk on the PlayBook.. The ranging icon sizes make the OS look sooooo incomplete, it's a joke. The uniformity is good, and I won't feel like I need to organize the icons by what sizes look good next to eachother, but rather sort by what apps make sense to put next to eachother.

Also, people need to chill about not seeing their background image on the icon launcher.. You get to see your full background unobstructed on the lock screen, and the app launcher screen in meant for ONE THING! And that's launching an app quickly and getting off of it, you don't just chill and hang out on there like you do on iOS.
    Hi flip4forlife if you don't mind me asking are you the flip4life that with the imigur account with the phony Netflix shots that @BlackBerryscoop used on twitter saying that he took them? Thx.

12-29-12 05:53 PM
    Someone suggest that RIM should have allowed us to vote on the icons. frankly I am glad they didnt because with all that's going we would have confused the daylights out of them
    12-30-12 02:54 AM
    Am I the only one who likes them with the background? To me it sets them apart fro everyone else's icons.
    DJM626 and EsJayDee like this.
    12-30-12 07:16 AM
    it looks fine to me.
    although i do agree os7's icons is waaayyy better.
    but knowing that theme mods is not available, i find that wallpaper is just redundant.
    if only we can customize the theme.

btw, i didn't see any sound profile settings like bbos on BB10. anybody know whether there's such function or we have a better new function to change sound profile on the go?
    i like changing sound profiles when i go to a meeting or in a movie.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 07:42 AM
    Now that I look at it more and more, the icon background is really beginning to grow on me. Not that I ever thought it was a really major issue, but now I'm beginning to wonder if ditching it would really be an improvement.
    12-30-12 08:43 AM
    I would say keep them. Maybe sometimes it's best if people were not asked their opinion on something, UNLESS there is definitely proof that something is going to be done about the situation. People are always going to find or look for something to complain about. You ask 10,000 people, you are going to get 10,000 different answers, and no two of them are going to be alike. I can't believe that this is really an issue to someone to that extent. If most of the discussions are about the physical attributes of the phone, I can only imagine what they are going to be like when the complete O/S is shown off and what is under the hood is talked about. Yesterday my home page on my browser loaded in under 4 seconds, today it took 4.5 seconds.... Should I ditch the phone and look for something else?
    12-30-12 09:01 AM
    Hi flip4forlife if you don't mind me asking are you the flip4life that with the imigur account with the phony Netflix shots that @BlackBerryscoop used on twitter saying that he took them? Thx.

Yessir, that was me.
    12-30-12 09:07 AM
    it looks fine to me.
    although i do agree os7's icons is waaayyy better.
    but knowing that theme mods is not available, i find that wallpaper is just redundant.
    if only we can customize the theme.

btw, i didn't see any sound profile settings like bbos on BB10. anybody know whether there's such function or we have a better new function to change sound profile on the go?
    i like changing sound profiles when i go to a meeting or in a movie.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    They definitely have some type of profile switcher, will probably be in the quick settings when you pull down from the top. There was just an article talking about how to put the phone on quick silence mode though over at blackberryos.com, and it was interesting, I didn't know of this, but definitely shows that they know sound profiles are important just like on BB7 and lower.

BlackBerryOS.com - Friday Tip: Quickly Switch BlackBerry 10 to Silent Mode

Am I the only one who likes them with the background? To me it sets them apart fro everyone else's icons.
    I feel like it makes it a lot more uniform and clean opposed to Android where there are some slightly ranging sizes, but more-so the PlayBook OS icons and such. I like the background, I guess we're just crazy though, OCD wise, it makes me feel 'neater/cleaner' :P
    pantlesspenguin and EsJayDee like this.
    12-30-12 09:15 AM
    The background makes the icon set look unique in my opinion, it looks okay to me
    EsJayDee likes this.
    12-30-12 01:42 PM
    Another poster said that the grayness around the icon gives it a "tactical" feel... Is it possible RIM put that gray boxing there for a reason, and we just don't know about it yet?
    12-30-12 02:28 PM
    Another poster said that the grayness around the icon gives it a "tactical" feel... Is it possible RIM put that gray boxing there for a reason, and we just don't know about it yet?
    It is there for an obvious reason, it provides a consistency of look and readability regardless of a person's choice of background image.
    12-30-12 03:00 PM
    I think the icons are fine. The only icon I don't like is the text message icon... looks cheesy.
    12-30-12 03:10 PM
    Do they need the text on the bottom of them? Transparent background?
    12-30-12 04:50 PM
    the icons are fine the way they are. they only look good when you experience them on a properly sized screen (loaded a screenshot onto my friend's sIII and zoomed the icons just right). also, let the user CHOOSE to have a background/ background picture and to have icon shadows and set the size/color/location (top or bottom) of the so-called "action bar"
    12-30-12 05:04 PM
    Hate the background. Add a VERY subtle dropshadow to the text and icon and they'll pop regardless of the background. That's what iOS does and it's quite effective. Otherwise the icons themselves are an improvement.
    12-30-12 08:53 PM
56 123