12-23-08 01:50 PM
63 123
tools
    An E815 for VZW and a Samsung A707 on AT&T.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 09:49 PM
    I have 2 backups.
    1) Treo 755p
    2) Treo 800w

I am an old treo fanatic untill I bought my 1st and only bb which is a curve.

I hope to not have to go back but if I need to I guess I can for a few painfull days untill I get a bb in the mail again, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 09:51 PM
    I have a gophone laying around the house as well. I suppose that is my back up phone until I can get another BB. Then, my Pearlie will be my back up.
    12-21-08 10:08 PM
    Shortly the Curve 8900 will be my backup... can't wait!
    12-21-08 11:55 PM
    Pearl 8310 and the LG chocolate both great phones however I am hocked on BB
    12-22-08 12:33 AM
    my backup is a Sanyo SCP-4000. I have never had a phone with better call quality, it even beats my BlackBerry!
    I would have to agree with you about Sanyo's call quality. I've had the 8200, 8300 and the 8400 and every one of them had unbeatable call quality.
    12-22-08 01:21 AM
    I have my old Treo as a worst case scenario back up. I am always on ebay looking for someone selling a Berry cheap. I need at least 1 BlackBerry as a back up. I have a Storm and my wife has a Pearl so I may find two BBs for back up in the unlikely event that both of our phones are down at the same time.
    12-22-08 06:26 PM
    I will soon get a BB and I will keep my V3 as a backup. I might buy a Pearl or Bold and later on once the local cellular system is upgraded i'll move onto something like a Storm or the modern phone at that time hopefully it will be a Bold / Touch.
    12-22-08 07:36 PM
    I lost my previous phone so I had one of those t-mobile pre-paid phones you can buy at Target... that is my back up right now, hopefully I'll never have to use it!
    12-23-08 12:37 PM
    Alltel pre-paid phone is my backup in case I ever get out range. Mainly for work.
    12-23-08 12:45 PM
    im wating for my 8310 to arrive
    12-23-08 01:10 PM
    When I went to purchase my first BB I was about a year and a half from my upgrade so I decided to do the add a line option for $9.99 and will keep my first Verizon phone active as a backup/ work phone.. As a new Verizon customer I feel somewhat helpless as far as a backup.. With ATT I could just swap sims to an older phone in a pinch!
    Or, you could drop the additional line and sign up for a "My Account" (free at verizonwireless.com) and use the online ESN changer to switch back and forth between phones (also free).

This would save you at least $12 a mo. after all the fees/taxes/surcharges.

One thing though, you might want to call customer service first to check if there will be any problems switching between the 2 phones using the online ESN changer (smart phone vs. dumb phone, etc.). Sometimes CS claims there will be an activation charge, but that is BS, they are supposed to waive the activation fee if you tell them you tried to use the online ESN changer first and it didn't work.

Also, if you are switching from a smart phone (Blackberry) to a dumb phone, there is the added complication of the data plan feature that will have to be added/dropped from the plan. But it can be done with prorating/crediting charges, etc. At least VZW doesn't require you to extend your contract any more when making changes to your calling plans.

So, long story short, you can switch betwn phones on VZW just like swapping SIM cards from phone to phone on a GSM carrier. Using the online ESN changer only takes about 45 seconds to make the change and have your phone go through over the air programming (like doing a *228 option 1).
    12-23-08 01:44 PM
    When I went to purchase my first BB I was about a year and a half from my upgrade so I decided to do the add a line option for $9.99 and will keep my first Verizon phone active as a backup/ work phone.. As a new Verizon customer I feel somewhat helpless as far as a backup.. With ATT I could just swap sims to an older phone in a pinch!
    I went with another option, I bought my Berry off of eBay to wait out my NE2 which comes up in late April '09. Used the online ESN changer to activate the Berry, and I'm keeping the old phone as a backup.

Wanted my upcoming NE2 to use on the Storm (we'll see if updates make it worthwhile) and the Jupiter/Niagara when they start coming out.
    12-23-08 01:50 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD