08-15-14 09:52 PM
98 123 ...
tools
    For me it feels like the cloud of doom has dissipated and non BlackBerry fans are starting to see that as well. I'm subscribed to many different tech news and stock news outlets and the tone of articles on BlackBerry have for the most part gone positive in the last few months. If BlackBerry posts a profit for their next quarter and has a successful launch with Passport, 10.3, and BES12, I feel the future for BlackBerry will be a bright one. How do you guys feel? Are they out of the mud or will something else come up to ruin the turnaround?

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    08-13-14 07:25 PM
    They bought themselves a few more years, but to stay in the handset business they need to sell phones.
    TGR1 and anon5288998 like this.
    08-13-14 07:33 PM
    BlackBerry having a bright future would be bad. Their the BLACKberry! Gotta be dark to be good.
    08-13-14 07:33 PM
    I do feel they are in a better place now, more than that of the last few years, I see profitability within the next financial year. I however don't see BlackBerry being the "first "platform out there at least not in the short term. I prefer it that way actually, if they remain niche and when I say niche, I don't only mean business customers, I mean a niche for all those with concerns of one or the other ,using other platforms and BlackBerry could be their choice for security, productivity etc. They can rebuild using their strengths ,which is the path they are on currently. Quality is much better than Quantity in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-13-14 07:45 PM
    I also think if they have a few solid quarters and start to show a profit, then things might change.

I think the brand is all but dead here in the USA because Android and IOS have embedded themselves into the culture here and that's not changing any time soon.

With fewer carriers supporting the brand and most of what I see are older legacy devices used by corporate folks. The probability of some magical comeback is very slim.

All we hope for is that some of the folks in the corporate sector get their hands on some of the classics and passports and give the brand a try. Only time will tell.

Sent using the CB forums app.
    08-13-14 07:50 PM
    I do feel they are in a better place now, more than that of the last few years, I see profitability within the next financial year. I however don't see BlackBerry being the "first "platform out there at least not in the short term. I prefer it that way actually, if they remain niche and when I say niche, I don't only mean business customers, I mean a niche for all those with concerns of one or the other ,using other platforms and BlackBerry could be their choice for security, productivity etc. They can rebuild using their strengths ,which is the path they are on currently. Quality is much better than Quantity in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I can agree with this. I think they are on the right track but it will be a very different track than before. They will never be a large scale consumer device manufacturer again, at least in the short term. If they stick to what they know, they can begin to be profitable again and after what they've been through that's a win.

Proud to use a BlackBerry Q10 exclusively!
    08-13-14 07:50 PM
    I think so. Chen is making some great moves (new acquisitions, high level employee appointments, etc) . I don't expect miracles to happen overnight by any means, but I am hoping for some more good things to come in the next few months.
    Shadowyugi and JesseBabe23 like this.
    08-13-14 07:55 PM
    I highly doubt that BlackBerry will ever have the presence and market share they once had, but I do see them gaining some traction bouncing back to survive another few years

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 07:56 PM
    Yeah the big consumer manufacture device I agree I don't see them returning to that which is fine in the short term. They need to get things going in the right direction and this is a great start for them.
    08-13-14 07:56 PM
    In terms of products and the company I due. However their appstore quality has declined Imo and that's something that needs work

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 likes this.
    08-13-14 08:10 PM
    In terms of products and the company I due. However their appstore quality has declined Imo and that's something that needs work

Posted via CB10
    That's why we are getting the amazon app store. BlackBerry cannot compete in that area, there is no way they can get all the big apps without a large market share, and to do that they need apps. So it's a chicken before the egg scenario.

Shadowyugi and owadkelly like this.
    08-13-14 08:16 PM
    I would not be sad to see Apple or Google make a mistake and Blackberry seize an opportunity.
    08-13-14 08:24 PM
    I think the worst is definitely behind for BlackBerry, however the situation is still bad, just not nearly as bad as it was during Thorsten regime. BlackBerry 10.2.1 is the mature version of BlackBerry 10, what people wished were the debut release but it is what it is. Chen seems to play it as safe as he can rather than being somewhat delusional the way Thorsten was. With recent high profile departures, not many left who are from Thorsten regime, Alec Saunders is probably one of the high profile ones still at BlackBerry. The wound is still festering, but at least the rapid blood loss has stopped.
    08-13-14 08:35 PM
    Yes, definitely. They were close to rock bottom and everything is only going up from here.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 10:38 PM
    Hello,
    Sadly here in Argentina things are not good for Blackberry.
    Most people just do not want to understand ore they do not want to believe that the new BBs have a new operating system.
    It is so terrible that a friend working in Claro Argentina, the biggest carrier around here, told me they were thinking in stopping the support for BB because the do not sell at all. There are no q5 ,q10 ,z30 anywhere to find, just the z10.
    I hope it gets better over here but it is going to be very difficult.
    Ignorance is the biggest enemy of mankind.

Best regards
    I know my spelling and grammar is terrible hehehe
    08-13-14 11:09 PM
    Just imagine someone from BlackBerry reads this thread. Then tells his or her buddies.

Hey look people! Are fans think the worst is behind us. Guess we can go back to fornication with the dog. End of BlackBerry.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-13-14 11:11 PM
    Hello,
    Sadly here in Argentina things are not good for Blackberry.
    Most people just do not want to understand ore they do not want to believe that the new BBs have a new operating system.
    It is so terrible that a friend working in Claro Argentina, the biggest carrier around here, told me they were thinking in stopping the support for BB because the do not sell at all. There are no q5 ,q10 ,z30 anywhere to find, just the z10.
    I hope it gets better over here but it is going to be very difficult.
    Ignorance is the biggest enemy of mankind.

Best regards
    I know my spelling and grammar is terrible hehehe
    Not at all, your English is just fine

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 11:19 PM
    BlackBerry has survived some pretty dark times. They've managed to stick around well past the predictions of their demise that have been pronounced by "experts" every year since 2011. You get a sense of direction from John Chen. He has made the company leaner and refocused on their traditional strengths. Their worst days are definitely behind them.

That said, I'll echo what many of you have been saying. Even if they manage to turn this new BlackBerry around, it won't, for the foreseeable future, be back to the glory years of the mid to late 2000s. I think they'll likely survive as an enterprise niche.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and JesseBabe23 like this.
    08-14-14 12:30 AM
    Yes, but they need to drastically improve things on the distribution (i.e. carrier) side...

Posted via CB10
    saxxman and TGR1 like this.
    08-14-14 12:39 AM
    I'd like to hope so but a lot is ridding on these two next devices. Its make or break honestly. I've seen much more positivity in the media regarding BlackBerry I don't know if it's just me though lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 01:10 AM
    That's why we are getting the amazon app store. BlackBerry cannot compete in that area, there is no way they can get all the big apps without a large market share, and to do that they need apps. So it's a chicken before the egg scenario.

Sadly, the Amazon App store is just an ugly band-aid solution with a lot of apps not working, or working poorly.
    Not to forget that it means that the native ecosystem is basically dead.

But yeah, at least we are getting Android apps on our BlackBerries.......

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, sentimentGX4 and gebco like this.
    08-14-14 01:21 AM
    I've said this before:

I think BB as a company will definitely survive the next 5+ years. I don't see a bankruptcy in their near future, nor do I think a buyout is likely.

BUT... I also suspect that by 2016, there will no longer be new BB handsets. Based on everything I know of the situation, it seems to me that Chen is planning to move BB to a Software & Services company, with BES12, BBM, and QNX as the three pillars. The handset business is what's been losing money, and once they get BES12 out and debugged, and BBM relatively debugged on iOS, Android, and WinPhone, there won't be enough of a reason to continue building BB handsets for the relatively few people who are buying them.

Yes, I understand that BB10 handsets provide the MOST secure solution, but I also don't think that there are enough customers for whom BES12 + iOS (or Android, or WinPhone) isn't secure enough, to continue losing money on the handset business. Just because it is "better" doesn't mean it makes financial sense.

Of course, if this is true, Chen couldn't admit to it, because doing so would instantly kill all BB handset sales, and right now, without the other pieces in place, Chen needs to have a workable solution, and today, that still requires a BB handset. Next year, I don't think that will be nearly as true.
    JeepBB, bakron1, Stewartj1 and 2 others like this.
    08-14-14 01:22 AM
    I've said this before:

I think BB as a company will definitely survive the next 5+ years. I don't see a bankruptcy in their near future, nor do I think a buyout is likely.

BUT... I also suspect that by 2016, there will no longer be new BB handsets. Based on everything I know of the situation, it seems to me that Chen is planning to move BB to a Software & Services company, with BES12, BBM, and QNX as the three pillars. The handset business is what's been losing money, and once they get BES12 out and debugged, and BBM relatively debugged on iOS, Android, and WinPhone, there won't be enough of a reason to continue building BB handsets for the relatively few people who are buying them.

Yes, I understand that BB10 handsets provide the MOST secure solution, but I also don't think that there are enough customers for whom BES12 + iOS (or Android, or WinPhone) isn't secure enough, to continue losing money on the handset business. Just because it is "better" doesn't mean it makes financial sense.

Of course, if this is true, Chen couldn't admit to it, because doing so would instantly kill all BB handset sales, and right now, without the other pieces in place, Chen needs to have a workable solution, and today, that still requires a BB handset. Next year, I don't think that will be nearly as true.
    I agree with everything you've said. But would hate to see BlackBerry stop making devices for their software and services.

So I'm not sure if you're aware that Chen said if they sell 10 million devices annually. Not sure if that pertains to this year or next. They will keep making devices.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-14-14 01:29 AM
    I certainly hope they would come out with at least 2 devices per year, at least, may be 4. I just can not live without their UI, no one else come close to a unified inbox.

Sent from 2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-14-14 01:49 AM
    I believe BlackBerry is heading in the right direction. IMO the question is will BlackBerry stay as a niche market or will they become more popular with the general public?
    08-14-14 01:56 AM
98 123 ...