I'm not basing this on anything, just pure 100% speculation. I have no facts, no information, no inside contacts at RIM. Just some schmuck from Red Deer.

We have seen the rumored or leaked pictures, the photoshops, the design a BlackBerry promo, but do you guys think the initial BB10 device is actually built in some basement private room at the RIM headquarters?
    05-23-12 11:48 AM
    It would make sense that if they are looking for an October launch that they would have their hardware finalized.... But then again who knows.... lets just hope it good....
    05-23-12 11:54 AM
    No I don't. RIM is too slow. I'll be surprised if they have one by years end. I'll still wait as I have a year left currently.
    05-23-12 12:10 PM
    I don't believe.. I know it's built.
    05-23-12 12:14 PM
    Other than the SoC, I can't imagine what physical part needs to be waited for. It's not like some incredible case design innovation is going to come out between now and release that they would be holding off for.
    05-23-12 12:18 PM
    I honestly don't care. As long as they come out with it when they are supposed to I'll be happy.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-23-12 12:21 PM
    I honestly don't care.
    So your opinion is that you have no opinion? Thanks for sharing...
    05-23-12 12:23 PM
    Slightly off topic... and Kevin may know...

I believe the phone is built with an open 'slot' waiting for the new Qualcomm chipset.

This chip is the cause for the delay.. and any more delays at their end will hurt Rimm's stock price more than it will Qualcomm.

Kevin... Have you heard any information to indicate that Qualcomm might experience an additional delay that will impact the release of BB10 units?
    05-23-12 12:37 PM
    They will have sample SoCs already, when they said they are waiting on them (if that was true), they meant waiting for mass production of them to supply consumers.
    05-23-12 12:44 PM
    to be honest... i don't think the hardware is too difficult...

if they have the alpha devices, all they really need to do is update some internals and change the externals...

the real work is in the BB10 OS
    05-23-12 12:51 PM
    If you read between the lines of everything that has been said and shown, (and Kevin just said it is built ), it is ready - with a qualcomm Krait dual - core chipset.
    They are doing extensive 'real world' testing to make sure it's as awesome as it oughta be!
    05-23-12 01:00 PM
    I'm not basing this on anything, just pure 100% speculation. I have no facts, no information, no inside contacts at RIM. Just some schmuck from Red Deer.

We have seen the rumored or leaked pictures, the photoshops, the design a BlackBerry promo, but do you guys think the initial BB10 device is actually built in some basement private room at the RIM headquarters?

The NPI room is not in a basement, its in the facility in the back of the building on the first floor. You do have to walk through a nice little hallway to get there though.
    05-23-12 01:06 PM
    With the Dev Alpha devices that where distributed, there is no doubt that a device is well past mock up and is in a production or pre-production run. Really depends on what chip sets are being used. Rip apart a dev alpha, check the components, then see if you can dig up information on those part manufacturers and see if they have product constrains because of high demand. You find one major component and chase it down, you'd end up with a more accurate picture.

But really, what parts are going to be used? Only RIM knows...
    05-23-12 01:10 PM
    Kevin, I have to ask how you know it exists? Did you liberate one during a recent visit to BlackBerry World?
    05-23-12 01:32 PM
    The NPI room is not in a basement, its in the facility in the back of the building on the first floor. You do have to walk through a nice little hallway to get there though.
    You do realize they will have to terminate you now. By terminate I mean teach you the meaning of end of life.
    05-23-12 01:35 PM
    You do realize they will have to terminate you now. By terminate I mean teach you the meaning of end of life.
    haha. I actually laughed at that one. Thank you
    05-23-12 01:38 PM
    It would make sense that if they are looking for an October launch that they would have their hardware finalized.... But then again who knows.... lets just hope it good....
    October? They might as well write their own funeral eulogy as the new Apple and Android smartphones flood the market. Has senior management learned nothing in the aftermath of the tablet launch? By October I would have expected a fully working slider keyboard version of a BlackBerry smartphone; BlackBerry Blade with curved side-sliding physical keyboard.
    05-23-12 01:40 PM
    I think that at least two BB 10 devices are built. Waiting for this fall release!
    05-23-12 01:41 PM
    As long RIM will not release a Half baked Devices, then I wont have a Problem with it. waiting, waiting, hope its worth it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-23-12 04:39 PM
    I think it's very close to being finalized

Apple is set to show iPhone5 in June. I think they'll wait for that...why not, we've already seen the Galaxy SIII

I read a detailed article about the SIII. The UI will be much better on BB10
    05-23-12 06:21 PM
    to be honest... i don't think the hardware is too difficult...

if they have the alpha devices, all they really need to do is update some internals and change the externals...

the real work is in the BB10 OS
    Agreed. RIM relies on others for the hardware for the most part.

The software is the big concern, and I honestly think that RIM is far behind on BB10.
    05-23-12 06:33 PM
    Of course it is built. I'm sure their are functional test units floating around the campus in Waterloo. They can't build in mass production yet because the processor (whichever one they chose) is not available in quantity. They'll have to have working units go out to carriers very soon too. I'm personally hoping for the OMAP5 processor.
    05-23-12 06:58 PM
    No. The component selection is being finalized. Test configurations are being tested.
    05-23-12 07:08 PM
    Who cares? I want a real Blackberry with a full QWERTY keyboard!!! Is that built yet or will I have to wait well into 2013 or even 2014? BB7 phones are looking good to me about now...
    05-24-12 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD