Hey guys,

Take a look at this. What do you think? We all defend our devices, but it is interesting how we react when someone says something negative about the devices we use. After all, they are just phones. I know I have said some things that probably weren't warranted in the spirit of "my device is better than yours and you suck". Just wondering what everyone thinks? Do we get too caught up in electronics and take it too far when someone doesn't feel like we do? This about us as users and not Android, iPhone etc... Sound off.

Reader Responses to Review of Google’s Nexus One - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com
    01-08-10 11:04 PM
    lol

i have to admit, sometimes i get pissed if someone even looks at a bb the wrong way!

good article
    01-08-10 11:12 PM
    Sometimes I go back and look at some threads, and be like "what the heck was I arguing about!?" I was defending a device that I no longer have. On a totally different platform but 2 months prior I was ready to trade my firstborn for it. Crazy stuff.
    01-08-10 11:27 PM
    Lol. The whole time I was reading that the robitic voice that briskly states "DROID" at the end of that commercial kept playing in my head. That Grandpa and boy must be spreading their propoganda about the device that came to us in the moon rockz!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 11:30 PM
    That was a good article. I believe what he is saying is accurate. I am astounded how we talk to each other about our devices. I think that we sometimes take it personally when someone has differing opinions about a device that we purchased and enjoy. However, it is natural for people to identify with a particular group. When the indoctrination of the group are criticized/disrespected, we pounce. These smartphones aren't barometers of our character and self-worth. They are nothing to fight over.

01-09-10 05:49 AM
    Thats the biggest problem here on the forums i believe. people taking their phones being poked at and shown they have faults personally as if someone talked about them

01-09-10 06:11 AM
    Part of the issue may go beyond loyalty to our devices. The relative anonymity of e-communication allows more freedom to speak in ways a face-to-face interaction does not allow.

There is also the missing body language in forum talk. One can soften a harsh remark with a smile or some other gesture.

And there is the passage of time and new loyalties as others have mentioned.

It is all good in the interest of information sharing but we must be careful not to take ourselves too seriously IMHO.

01-09-10 07:29 AM
    i agree with the face to face interaction statement. Most people will be a lot bolder on websites since they dont have to be face to face. They also say what they were thinking if they were face to face but wouldn't dare say in that situation.
    01-09-10 08:36 AM
    I completely agree that we take it too far. For the last 18 months I've been an iPhone user and would have defended it to the death. However after just owning a BB for a day I've found myself getting incredibly annoyed at people saying I made the wrong choice. I guess we just cant understand how people can have differing opinions on something that we use so much and grow so attached to.
    01-09-10 08:43 AM
    Wow, great comments here this morning. I agree with the article that people get too caught up in what device others are using. At the end of all the debate/arguing/namecalling, it boils down to what you as the user prefer in your device.
    01-09-10 08:53 AM
    +1!

No device in existence today is perfect, and there probably will never be one that is. You should use what suits you best.
    01-09-10 09:29 AM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In fact, part of it has already been covered so please, bear with me!

1) I'm only 31. Pretty young by some standards, pretty "old" by others. Anyway, with the increase in our dependence on electronic communication (forums, email, SMS, BBM, etc) I've noticed an almost equal decrease in respect and plain old good manners. I can lip off to a 6'5" 350lb gym rat from the safety of my keyboard, but wouldn't dare do that in person. So, take Thumper's advice.... "if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"

2) I find it funny how some people purchase "stuff" to make themselves feel more important. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of smartphone users out there who don't really need it, but manage to justify it to themselves and others. (I don't need one, but my short experience with my Pearl was enough to get me hooked. And even though I don't need one, I sure as heck love Blackberry!) Blackberry might be a better option for some, i-fone for other people, and yet still others might do fine with a dumb-phone in one pocket, and some scrap papers and a pen in the other pocket. Doesn't make anyone "better" or "worse", its just about finding out what you need and want, and then finding whatever product works for you.

Would I switch to Apple? probably not. I don't like touchscreen phones. Droid? maybe, once its been out for a bit and either proves itself or dies a quiet death. Does that mean I thing Berry is supperior? nope...cuz Berry does its own thing well, just like Apple and Droid. Besides I can't talk down a Droid until I've had my fingers on it. basing my opinion on what someone else's opinion is, well that's just silly - and called hear-say in a court of law.

3) bottom line? again - different strokes for different folks. Can't we all just get along? think back to where technology was back in 1985. Or 1995. I think its great where technology has developed, and now we have choices. Not just the Motorola StarTac!
    01-09-10 09:53 AM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In fact, part of it has already been covered so please, bear with me!

1) I'm only 31. Pretty young by some standards, pretty "old" by others. Anyway, with the increase in our dependence on electronic communication (forums, email, SMS, BBM, etc) I've noticed an almost equal decrease in respect and plain old good manners. I can lip off to a 6'5" 350lb gym rat from the safety of my keyboard, but wouldn't dare do that in person. So, take Thumper's advice.... "if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"

2) I find it funny how some people purchase "stuff" to make themselves feel more important. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of smartphone users out there who don't really need it, but manage to justify it to themselves and others. (I don't need one, but my short experience with my Pearl was enough to get me hooked. And even though I don't need one, I sure as heck love Blackberry!) Blackberry might be a better option for some, i-fone for other people, and yet still others might do fine with a dumb-phone in one pocket, and some scrap papers and a pen in the other pocket. Doesn't make anyone "better" or "worse", its just about finding out what you need and want, and then finding whatever product works for you.

Would I switch to Apple? probably not. I don't like touchscreen phones. Droid? maybe, once its been out for a bit and either proves itself or dies a quiet death. Does that mean I thing Berry is supperior? nope...cuz Berry does its own thing well, just like Apple and Droid. Besides I can't talk down a Droid until I've had my fingers on it. basing my opinion on what someone else's opinion is, well that's just silly - and called hear-say in a court of law.

3) bottom line? again - different strokes for different folks. Can't we all just get along? think back to where technology was back in 1985. Or 1995. I think its great where technology has developed, and now we have choices. Not just the Motorola StarTac!
    01-09-10 09:54 AM

+1
    Well said.
    01-09-10 09:57 AM
    I think everyone is entitled to there opinion
    01-09-10 10:43 AM

Wow a blast from the past! Motorola StarTac ftw!

Well said altogether.

01-09-10 11:02 AM
    Its really no different than the Mac vs PC or even Star Trek vs Star Wars. When people are passionate about something it can be hard to take if someone bashes what you like.

01-09-10 12:34 PM
    Its really no different than the Mac vs PC or even Star Trek vs Star Wars. When people are passionate about something it can be hard to take if someone bashes what you like.

But why should you care if someone doesn't agree with what you like? What does their agreement or lack of it mean to you?

01-09-10 05:27 PM
    But why should you care if someone doesn't agree with what you like? What does their agreement or lack of it mean to you?

Exactly. I caught myself once in a heated discussion and decided to take a moment to breathe and calm down (it was about Mac vs PC particularly). Reading through what I've written, some of the messages completely differ from what I usually write. It's as if I was another person! Much of what I wrote also was based on wrong information and beliefs, had strong and intense expressions that was very inappropriate and had no point because as you say the agreement or denial of the other party does not mean a thing. I mean, this is the Internet. How stupid must I have been to engage in a flame war with some random guy I've never seen in person?

Not a fanboy anymore, learning it the hard way helps a lot.
    01-09-10 05:39 PM
    I mean, this is the Internet. How stupid must I have been to engage in a flame war with some random guy I've never seen in person?

Not a fanboy anymore, learning it the hard way helps a lot.
    +10

I couldn't agree more. I've done the same thing... maybe wisdom really DOES come with age!!
    01-09-10 06:42 PM
    Tee-hee, I'm guilty of reading or watching a few CNET reviews and getting a little sour about their constant comparisons to the Iphone because I don't think that device should be a barometer for what one should expect from a hand held...but I've never gotten caught in a flame war about what is better and all that jazz. I like what I like and that's all that matters.

...and they're just phones/computers/shoes/etc.
    01-10-10 10:24 AM
    What's worse is people are divided within their own armies. Take the BB army for instance. I won't even bother to open a "Which device is better?" thread. I don't need to bother with the headache those debates generate. Even worse, I flinch whenever I see a "What's the best twitter app?" thread.
    01-10-10 12:23 PM
    What's worse is people are divided within their own armies. Take the BB army for instance. I won't even bother to open a "Which device is better?" thread. I don't need to bother with the headache those debates generate. Even worse, I flinch whenever I see a "What's the best twitter app?" thread.
    What about the size of the BlackBerry Bold 9700 compared to the original. I have seen flame wars over that. It gets a little ridiculous and unfortunately repetitive.

01-10-10 12:45 PM
    Hey, I loved my Motorola StarTac! Lol, great post, I agree 100%
    01-10-10 12:50 PM
    It's human nature to think that we make the best decisions for ourselves, including what we buy to use. When someone disagrees with you, or "puts down" your device of choice, I guess some may take it as a personal shot.

At the end of the day, you make decisions based upon what works for you...who cares if someone disagrees...why waste your time explaining yourself to someone else who you'll never meet.

Choice is a great thing...life would be pretty boring without it.
    01-10-10 01:02 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD