I'm courious as to why so many posters on here do that with seemingly every topic. and sometimes even answer the question and they say "You should have just done a search" Are you bitter towards the world yet can't go with out sharing your knowledge?
    02-26-09 03:39 PM
    I agree with you 100%. This is a place to share information and learn new things. I can't stand it when people tell others just to do a search, instead of answering a simple question that would help somebody out. The only time I ever tell people to do a search is when I know there is more information for them on their question, but I can't find it at the moment.
    Last edited by ecooper11; 02-26-09 at 03:48 PM.
    02-26-09 03:44 PM
    Yea, I hate it when users do that.... its rude
    02-26-09 03:46 PM
    Then let's just get rid of the search function of the forum so we can answer the same questions over and over and over again.

Because there's no reason to not use a search function. Do they not use Google all the time? How is it different? Search for the info you're looking for, if you can't find the answer, THEN ask with a new thread.
    02-26-09 03:51 PM
    i hate it when im trying to surf through this section for something new and seeing the same question. If you ask your boss the same question as everyone else how would that make you look? If no one is willing to look for the answer then why save posts? there shouldnt be an archive. Lets just rebuild this forum every day, at midnight erase everything here and we can start again.
    02-26-09 03:51 PM
    Do a search!! I'm pretty sure there's already a thread on this same subject. Haha

Seriously though, if you don't feel like answering the question, just press that back button! That's one thing that really irritates me about some of the vets! People don't seem to realize that the search function doesn't really come up with the results that someone is seeking. At least that's how it is on wap! That's why I don't mind beng that broken record and answering the OPs question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 03:52 PM
    It's rude and arrogant behavior and a sure way to turn off someone who is honestly trying to find information.
    02-26-09 03:59 PM
    The best thing I've found to do is only search the titles for what I want. I was looking for something last night and that photo scavanger hunt came up. I'm sure its a fun thread but not what I needed. I can understand people not trying the search if they get so many bad results like that.
    02-26-09 04:00 PM
    I hate seeing the same thread (about the same quesion) posted over and over again. I'm trying to look for new tricks and information.

But I won't ever tell anyone to go "do a search"... I may do the searching for them and post a link, but I'll try to be nice about it.
    02-26-09 04:00 PM
    when i first joined i think my 3rd question i posted i got the "do a search" thing....ok i get i understand you dont want to answer the same quest over and over but i was new and new to the website had no idea how to utilize it completely. i do now, but for any1 new that has a quest that i can answer even if it was a question i answered just yest for some1 else, i still take the time to type my answer to help them out. i know how it felt to be the newbie....and i like helping people.
    02-26-09 04:06 PM
    You should do a search on doing searches.
    02-26-09 04:07 PM
    I have spent so much tome doing searches and usually don't find what I am looking for but usually find out somethibg else that I didn't know. So I do the search first

02-26-09 04:10 PM
    i know how it felt to be the newbie....and i like helping people.
    Yeah, that's kind of the way I feel about it now :l

I was, and still just a bit am an advocate for using the search function. I just don't go to the extemes in my posts anymore. But I do try to help as well.
    02-26-09 04:12 PM
    Ditto, Skull!

Anybody can tell someone else to go look it up. Troubleshooting and teaching is more about learning to ask the right questions than just giving an answer. Too many times, an incomplete answer can make things worse.

If a person doesn't wanna answer, escape! I try to help folks with a bit of humor, but I will do my darnedest to give 'em a straight answer or find someone who can.

02-26-09 04:19 PM
    I don't understand what the big deal is. Doesn't it take as much effort to post "do a search" as it is just to answer the question. If its that big a deal hit back. The only thing that really gets me are the "PLEEEASSSEEE HEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!!!" titles.

02-26-09 04:27 PM
    Do a search!! I'm pretty sure there's already a thread on this same subject. Haha

Seriously though, if you don't feel like answering the question, just press that back button! That's one thing that really irritates me about some of the vets! People don't seem to realize that the search function doesn't really come up with the results that someone is seeking. At least that's how it is on wap! That's why I don't mind beng that broken record and answering the OPs question.

whut he said.... my buddy and I discuss this a lot, you are new to a forum or use the search with the exact words of what your looking for well blagh, blagh, blagh no need to repeat...

for the most part you vets have been very helpful to me, I follow you guys around reading and am not afraid to ask...

and in return i pass any info on to the next....

Thanks
    02-26-09 05:18 PM
    While we're on the subject, here's a handy searching tip: On the full site, always click "Advanced Search" and change the keyword option to "Search Titles Only". On the WAP site you do the same thing, but get to skip the "Advanced Search" step. This will greatly narrow down the search results to only those threads with descriptive titles (ie, no "heeelllllpppP@!!!" threads), where you will usually find better answers.

It's not a perfect system, but it takes some of the stress out of searching.
    02-26-09 05:26 PM
    It's rude and arrogant behavior and a sure way to turn off someone who is honestly trying to find information.
    Even though I can't clearly make out the facial hair in your avatar; nice creativity.
    02-26-09 05:30 PM
    Even though I can't clearly make out the facial hair in your avatar; nice creativity.
    It's all facial hair, it just has some major streaks of gray in it. Comes from teaching middle school for 23 years
    02-26-09 05:56 PM
    I hate the search feature. I've searched many times and I usually find my answer out there on the web half the time. Example: recently I did a search on crackberry for "download excel module dataviz" and didn't get anything CLOSE to my query. Very discouraging. I eventually found a discussion on another website that matched my search.

02-26-09 06:26 PM
    I'm courious as to why so many posters on here do that with seemingly every topic. and sometimes even answer the question and they say "You should have just done a search" Are you bitter towards the world yet can't go with out sharing your knowledge?
    I can rarely find exactly what I'm looking for when I do a search. It's just so much easier and quicker to ask. I agree with you, people need to not be all cranky answering peoples questions
    02-26-09 06:35 PM
    Imagaine how annoying it is that you go to the toruble of typing a long answer, and then a day later, on the same thread, someone else asks exactly the same question..... over and over!

I think that's why people get annoyed.
    02-27-09 02:16 AM
    Imagaine how annoying it is that you go to the toruble of typing a long answer, and then a day later, on the same thread, someone else asks exactly the same question..... over and over!

I think that's why people get annoyed.
    That's why, in some cases, I copy what I just typed just in case I have to give the same advice again. Especially if it seems to be a common problem.

02-27-09 05:34 AM
    I am the resident addict at my company, which does not employ a regular IT tech. I get a lot of the same, simple problems from every BB user there multiple times (my boss has called me 7 times to date late at night to ask why his phone isn't ringing, have to explain how to change profiles, and he's had his for 6 months). I don't have the option of telling these people to "do a search" when they are sitting in my office, I guess I could, but wouldn't really feel right. I remember my first BB, and the same stupid problems I ran into learning it. I am fortunate enough to have discovered CB, and have learned so much on here, it's hard not to give some of that back. If everyone who posted a question that has been answered previously, got the response "do a search", why would anyone bother. For that matter, next logical step would be to say "check another site, maybe they have your answer there". Doesn't really make sense does it?

Yeah, I understand that it gets irritating to answer the same question over and over again, I find myself muttering the "do a search" phrase under my breath sometimes too. But in the end, it's easier to point them towards what they are looking for, and move on. Usually when I do a search for someone to help them, I end up finding something else I didn't know along the way.

I also save linkbacks to the threads that answer some of the most basic questions, so a lot of the time its a quick paste.

I would prefer to be an enabler for someone else's addiction . God knows I found enough enablers for mine, and my addiction is going strong.

Long live CB. Just my two cents. Sorry for the long-winded post.
    02-27-09 06:31 AM
    It's funny that the people that you see having temper tantrums about people not searching haven't popped their heads up in here.

Just help a brotha out. Answer the question. If you still want to tell people to search, please do it a little nicer.
    02-27-09 06:53 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD