Hmmm....
    I've had a PB from day one. My wife and I love our Playbooks. I was just at a game last night and I filmed a play by a friend's kid. He looked like I pulled a rabbit out of a hat when I pulled my PB out of my jacket pocket and started video taping his kid. (Yes, he is getting one...;-)

But, I wonder, what so many sales reps are telling us not to get the Playbook? I actually did some research (like most BB users) and found the tablet is very nice (your heard all of those reasons so I won't bore you again - it is just a better tablet and better value) and they are actually fighting us to keep us from getting Playbooks. Should be an easy sale. Well, what if they get a little bonus if they ram a 3G tablet down our throats?

I took my wife to look at a full screen torch (she uses a different phone now) and I explained to her that she could add bridge to all the awesome features of the PB if she got one. The sales gal learned we both had PB's and say me sporting my Bold 9930. Easy sale right?
    Nope. She was **** bent on selling me something else. I asked her a few questions and she was clueless. Really did not even know the specs of what she was trying to sell me and absolutely nothing about the new OS7 BlackBerry's.

Here is the bottom line. The spec superior Playbook can allow you to connect to the internet (facebook, web, e-mail, etc.) via Bridge and you don't need to spend 50 bucks per month to do it. Also, as you know, it is the only tablet that is secure so if you do mobile banking that matters.
    Sorry sales person. I'm going with the better deal for me not you. Oh, and by the way, how about learning about your products? That may help.
    donnyphone likes this.
    10-03-11 09:42 AM
    It depends on where you go, but yes, many wireless sales people make commission based on what they sell you. I think it's safe to bet that if someone sells you a tablet that requires a data plan, they will make additional commission of the sale of that plan.
    10-03-11 09:52 AM
    I suspected as much. Thanks.
    10-03-11 09:59 AM
    Example from a Bell Mobility store:

Playbook sold in any size: Commission, $3.50
    Galaxy tab 10.1 4G: Comission: Device sale $8.00, Data activation $5.00-$15.00 (Total $13-$23 per sale)
    Micro-sim (iPad 2) sale and activation (No device sale) Commission: $5-$13

You get the picture...

max
    10-03-11 10:12 AM
    That's the main reason I got out of sales many years ago. You are required to sell what brings in the most profit for the business owner (obviously), but that often isn't what is best for the customer. Retail sales reps usually have goals and incentives that drive their perspective in a manner that often don't align with the customer's needs.
    10-03-11 10:55 AM
    When I went to a Best Buy store there was a Playbook disconnected from the charging cable and completely dead. There was a display for the Apple IPAD that looked more like a shrine where people could burn incense, light candles, hold hands, and absorb the Apple energy coming off the devices. The Playbook offers a huge cost savings for consumers: Playbook: $299.99. IPAD2 $629.99. Fee to connect to internet with 3G: Playbook: $0.00 with the free bridge to your blackberry phone. IPAD2: $50/month. Plan on downloading some of those hot movies from the iTunes store? Better opt for the plan with more Gb's for $80/month. The IPAD is much better for the stores selling them, and the salesperson. Little wonder the Playbook is sitting there dead.
    10-03-11 11:01 AM
    I agree with Donny. I dont know where he is from but in NY where I am,I am seeing the exact same, at multiple best buys and multiple staples. One day i intentionally when to a best buy and a staples to do some investigative work. pretending to be interested in a PB. This was even before the price cut. Best buy couldnt even show me a working model and believe it or not the week prior i was there and when i picked up the demo the security alarm went off as to warn sales reps someone was interested in a low commission device. At staples the demo flat out wasnt turning on as if it were not charged, i saw a cord into the device but for all I know the other end may have not been plugged in.
    conspiracy maybe but many people with the same stories makes me wonder
    10-03-11 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD