OP I can't tell if you are for real or if you are seriously this pompous over your choice of keyboard.
    03-26-16 01:19 PM
    I have noticed that, anecdotally, VKB users type out very short messages. Of course the prevalence of iPhones probably means that journalists, bloggers, writers, etc., who are prolific can be found. I'm only suggesting that there *may* be a correlation between long-form writing and using a PKB. For the year that I used an Android phone I discovered that typing became a chore, not a pleasure. Returning to a PKB returned the pleasure to this experience.

Posted via CB10
    Also since you are such a prolific long form writer stop taking shortcuts. Please refer to pkb as physical keyboard and vkb as virtual keyboard. Those shortcuts are beneath you.
    03-26-16 01:24 PM
    Also since you are such a prolific long form writer stop taking shortcuts. Please refer to pkb as physical keyboard and vkb as virtual keyboard. Those shortcuts are beneath you.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 01:32 PM
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 01:38 PM
    For me the pkb makes more sense. I refuse to send text or emails that are filled with typos and spelling mistakes. Some people just don't care if the send messages that look like a 4 years old wrote them so for them glass or plastic would likely result in a poorly written message. I do however believe there would be less errors if they were using a pkb.

When I see an error in my text I fix it. I find typing on glass produces way more errors and therefore I have more corrections to make. On the pkb I have very few error. Therefore I tend to type more and have less frustration and enjoy sending messages.

So yes, I too type longer messages because I use the amazing keyboard on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    flyersfan76 likes this.
    03-26-16 01:55 PM
    My posts are definitely longest from my 9900. A little shorter from my Classic, shorter yet from my PassPort. Shortest on my Z30. Mostly because I'm posting in forums over meals and 9900 requires zero involvement from right hand.

Typing is only part of the picture. I speed dial most common number assigned to "P". Finger locates & presses, unseen. Same with "5", & others. Shortcuts & speedials are a big part of daily productivity, for me. Personal preference.
    CivilDissident and Oshasat like this.
    03-26-16 02:07 PM
    My posts are definitely longest from my 9900. A little shorter from my Classic, shorter yet from my PassPort. Shortest on my Z30. Mostly because I'm posting in forums over meals and 9900 requires zero involvement from right hand.
    While I'm admittedly faster and slightly more precise on my 9900 (due primarily to its' perfectly-sized form factor) vs my Classic, it does not affect the length of my content whatsoever... Now, if I use the Priv where the keyboard is less than comfortable or a glass slab with VKB where I am even more uncomfortable, I tend to find myself getting straight to the point to just send it and be done... "Just get it over with" being the mantra... Like a swift pull of the band-aid for the least painful experience possible. A well crafted keyboard on the other hand, leads me to want to keep typing from it... A guilty pleasure I suppose

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-26-16 02:11 PM
    +1
    03-26-16 02:11 PM
    While I'm admittedly faster and slightly more precise on my 9900 (due primarily to its' perfectly-sized form factor) vs my Classic, it does not affect the length of my content whatsoever... Now, if I use the Priv where the keyboard is less than comfortable or a glass slap with VKB where I am even more uncomfortable, I tend to find myself getting straight to the point to just send it and be done... "Just get it over with" being the mantra... Like a swift pull of the band-aid for the least painful experience possible. A well crafted keyboard on the other hand, leads me to want to keep typing from it... A guilty pleasure I suppose

Posted via CB10
    Lol... 9900 just keeps wanting more...
    CivilDissident and fkornre like this.
    03-26-16 02:17 PM
    Lol... 9900 just keeps wanting more...
    And I am so very much inclined to just keep giving it more too... I can't resist its' textual allure... There's a certain gravitational pull, a perfect cosmic alignment towards its' keyboard that is undeniable... Can't...resist...typing.... haha

Posted via CB10
    idssteve, TgeekB and fkornre like this.
    03-26-16 02:21 PM
    And I am so very much inclined to just keep giving it more too... I can't resist its' textual allure... There's a certain gravitational pull, a perfect cosmic alignment towards its' keyboard that is undeniable... Can't...resist...typing.... haha

Posted via CB10
    At my age, optimizing a day's endurance is a worthy pursuit.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    03-26-16 02:37 PM
    I've met people who can type really long messages on the iPhone or a Samsung phone with very little errors. It's just that smartphone users have moved on from the physical keyboard Era. Now it's considered old school and a gimmick.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 02:43 PM
    I don't mind touchscreen keyboards. There are some benefits, especially if it's a well configured one.

1. They make no sound. There's nothing worse than when someone close to you is sleeping and you're clickity-clacking away on that physical keyboard. It's annoying and wakes them up. Or that work washroom situation, everybody knows it's you taking that dump cuz they can hear the clickity-clacking coming from the stall. Nobody else has a BB lol. Touchscreen keyboards are silent and I do wish all BB10 phones came with a touchscreen option for those situations when one is needed. At least if we had that option...it may be rare but sometimes for privacy or consideration for others, it is necessary.

2. Touchscreen require less effort to push...in fact they require no effort...just simple taps. BB PKB require actual effort and do seem a bit old-fashioned in that sense. The best (ie softest) PKB I've tried is the Passport SE...that's a great keyboard. But yeah tapping requires less effort therefore they are better in that sense.

3. Touchscreen keyboards have interesting features sometimes including swiping from letter to letter to form a word. That's not possible even on the capacitive PKB of the Passport.

Anyway, I like both...wish someone made a phone (other than the Priv) that offers native options for both.
    03-26-16 03:33 PM
    LOL...Apologies, you're right a pompous SOB (son of a *****) like me should make use of all of the keys on his physical keyboard, so, yes, I'm having a bit of fun and am (or have been) laughing out loud.

But I still cling to my plastic keys...

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 04:36 PM
    You must be an academic. I've written chunks of papers on my Q10, and have created and submitted on-the-spot proposals while doing the groceries. You've just given me a good reason to look at a Passport--I wouldn't mind streaming MSNBC on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    It's also great for correcting theses. Yes, research proposals are one of the things it is good for.
    I have been editing and correcting work on my Passport while hiking in the mountains, on the beach, while standing in long queues, or standing or sitting in a packed (subway) train in Japan.
    It's handy in all those situations when you travel, during weekends, or are on vacation, when you can't carry a laptop with you, that require instant replies.
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-26-16 at 05:10 PM.
    Oshasat likes this.
    03-26-16 04:48 PM
    I agree with your second paragraph OP in your first post.
    You will agree with anyone that has anything demeaning to say about PKB. Even more so if that PKB is connected to a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    03-26-16 05:03 PM
    I am faster on my BlackBerry vkb, others not at all. I am enjoying learning to use the priv pkb though. I'm not as fast but I don't have to go back and fix autocorrect errors nearly as much

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-26-16 06:55 PM
    Yes, typing is better with a physical keyboard, so it makes sense that people with a physical keyboard type longer messages.

Here is why:

Here are some of my reasonings.

1. Autocorrect will not do anything, for personal names, websites, foreign names, street addresses, passwords, numbers, number/letter combos, and any words that are not in the dictionary to begin with.

In order for any touchscreen autocorrect to work, the word first has to be in the dictionary right? I have to regularly type addresses and other people's names in my phone usage. And this is where the physical keyboard accuracy comes in. Yes, I am aware that I can add words to the dictionary, but there are plenty of times when people have to type in brand new words.
    This is why I keep the autocorrect off on my physical keyboard.

2. Only physical keyboard phones can be typed "blind".
    With the way autocorrecting works, if you mess up one word, you are going to mess up your entire sentence because autocorrect takes into account the entire grammer/sentence structure. So you still have to look down at your phone screen when you type on a touchscreen, even with the autocorrect.
    With my phyiscal keyboard BlackBerry Q10, I can type blindedly without looking down on the phone because I can feel the angled surface on the keyboard with my finger tips.

Typing blind means that I do not have to look down on a phone for a long time, so no neck pain for a long reply. I can also walk and type and let my thumbs do the typing with the physical keyboard.

Being able to type blind without looking down at the phone is a huge advantage of physical keyboards because looking down at the phone for a long time for a long message can give you a permanent spine/neck damage.
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...our-neck-pain/
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/20/health...ety-neck-pain/

So yes, when it comes to typing, physical keyboards are better.

This is coming from a person who owns a Z10, Q10, and a Leap. I love all of them.
    Last edited by skstrials; 03-26-16 at 11:48 PM.
    jas1978 likes this.
    03-26-16 11:23 PM
    Ergonomics studies, for decades, have shown consistently superior data-entry performance when tactile feedback is present....I hate to say it, but it's not rocket-science. Take away the tactile feedback and the performance drops, it's got nothing to do with ability to adapt to the touch-screen as some seem to think, it is fundamentally about physiology. The question is whether the minuses incurred when using a touch-screen are worth the gains in flexibility of having a fully configurable screen.
    skstrials and crucial bbq like this.
    03-27-16 12:05 AM
    I don't mind touchscreen keyboards. There are some benefits, especially if it's a well configured one.

1. They make no sound. There's nothing worse than when someone close to you is sleeping and you're clickity-clacking away on that physical keyboard. It's annoying and wakes them up. Or that work washroom situation, everybody knows it's you taking that dump cuz they can hear the clickity-clacking coming from the stall. Nobody else has a BB lol. Touchscreen keyboards are silent and I do wish all BB10 phones came with a touchscreen option for those situations when one is needed. At least if we had that option...it may be rare but sometimes for privacy or consideration for others, it is necessary.

2. Touchscreen require less effort to push...in fact they require no effort...just simple taps. BB PKB require actual effort and do seem a bit old-fashioned in that sense. The best (ie softest) PKB I've tried is the Passport SE...that's a great keyboard. But yeah tapping requires less effort therefore they are better in that sense.

3. Touchscreen keyboards have interesting features sometimes including swiping from letter to letter to form a word. That's not possible even on the capacitive PKB of the Passport.

Anyway, I like both...wish someone made a phone (other than the Priv) that offers native options for both.
    There's an app called silent keys on BB world. It's a touch screen keyboard so you don't have to worry about making all the clicking sounds when typing.

While your push effort argument does make sense, I've never felt stressed to push a key on my phone. I like to compare typing on a BlackBerry to typing on a computer. You wouldn't mind typing papers on a computer so I don't see what's the problem typing on BlackBerry :/

The feature you're talking about is called Swype. It's very useless to be honest because half the time it never recognizes the word you're trying to form. BlackBerry's virtual keyboard on the Z series and the Priv have it perfect where you swipe up to choose the word. That way is much faster than swiping letter to letter and causes very little error in typing.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 12:09 AM
    I sure do. With no problem at all.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 01:03 AM
    Well, Asus Zenfone's VKB is among the best Android keyboard ever--even better than Google keyboard. Too bad it's only perfect for each respective language being used, unlike the BlackBerry's godly VKB that is able to seamlessly mingle two or even three languages at once in auto correct and predictive typing. It's so dangerously addictive typing on a BlackBerry, regardless of physical or virtual. That much I know.
    03-27-16 04:40 AM
    I type a little faster/more accurately on my 9900 but rarely compose long messages with it. That's what my laptop is for.
    Yeah, I'm an old school touch typist.

*C5303
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-27-16 04:58 AM
    There's a reason why they haven't adapted virtual keyboards to laptops and desktops. Or maybe they should.

BlackBerry PP
    skstrials likes this.
    03-27-16 07:19 AM
    I type a little faster/more accurately on my 9900 but rarely compose long messages with it. That's what my laptop is for.
    Yeah, I'm an old school touch typist.

*C5303
    You mean we're not supposed to compose a thesis on a BB 9900? There's a strange thought!
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    03-27-16 07:38 AM
222 1234 ...