Agree with you, OP. My ex only communicated by texting and it was incredibly frustrating. Call me old fashioned, but I still like hearing the sound of a person's voice over the phone and actually *talking* to him/her.
    Can't quite put my finger on it but I think there may be a lesson here for the boys
    10-08-13 07:59 PM
    I think the inflection in your voice is much more important when talking to loved ones than when talking to anyone work related. I think that is what is missing in many peoples lives and they don't even know it. Face to face is best but talking at least voice to voice is a must for me. Email and text is not really communication. For me it's just a cold and uninvolved way of passing along information.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-08-13 08:02 PM
    I prefer texting as I usually don't have time for conversations. Just the other night I texted my wife to pass the potatoes at the dinner table.
    10-08-13 08:41 PM
    I manage the tech dept in a company that sells... wait for it... PHONES!!!
    We sell/install/service telephone/PBX systems for business and industry.
    Talk on your phone people... it wants you to... it's waiting for you to push those buttons. Make your phone feel loved.
    Talk to someone.
    :>)
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-08-13 08:56 PM
    Email and text for me. I work nights and hate talking on the phone. I have one monthly conference call I enjoy but that's it. My phone stays on Silent too.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 01:46 AM
    My phone is usually on silent. I only like taking calls if there is something important to be discussed. Messages are usually good enough for everything else, this way I don't have to reply if I don't want to/need to.

Either way though the z10 offers great call quality and makes it easy to hammer out messages.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 01:58 AM
    Break up via text..... greatest thing ever invented.
    10-09-13 02:20 AM
    Physically talking on the phone with people makes me really anxious. So I only talk on the phone with maybe 4 people in my life. My preferred method of communication is sms. I only go through a couple of hours of minutes per month.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 04:46 AM
    Quite frankly I find SMS deplorable and a complete waste of time unless it's used for something very brief. The majority of people that use SMS are cheapskates who are too miserable to make a phone call or have some antisocial issues winch prevent them making a voice call. The same applies to instant messaging - a complete waste of time unless you're a delinquent teenager obsessed with gossip and mindless consumerism.

It's ironic that all the non-voice forms of electronic communication are making us more antisocial and isolated. People are opting to communicate in a manner that is artificial and fails to convey meaning or identity. This is truly depressing and will ultimately create a society of dysfunctional misfits with no personality.
    10-09-13 05:17 AM
    I'm never on the phone (excluding work). My siblings and I have group chats via what's app/google hangouts . My average talk time per month is around 25-30 mins. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-09-13 05:32 AM
    If you know a person well enough you can pick up emotion and mood and inflections via SMS/BBM etc. If I'm in a bad mood and texting people can tell even if I try to hide it. Same vice versa. I actually feel I communicate better in writing than I do in voice.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 07:04 AM
    Quite frankly I find SMS deplorable and a complete waste of time unless it's used for something very brief. The majority of people that use SMS are cheapskates who are too miserable to make a phone call or have some antisocial issues winch prevent them making a voice call. The same applies to instant messaging - a complete waste of time unless you're a delinquent teenager obsessed with gossip and mindless consumerism.

It's ironic that all the non-voice forms of electronic communication are making us more antisocial and isolated. People are opting to communicate in a manner that is artificial and fails to convey meaning or identity. This is truly depressing and will ultimately create a society of dysfunctional misfits with no personality.
    If you're feeling isolated, I'm not sure it's because of texting.
    10-09-13 07:19 AM
    Break up via text..... greatest thing ever invented.
    Haha so true!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    10-09-13 09:12 AM

I'm not going to call when it costs a dollar a minute long distance to the States. That's the only time I ever actually carry out a full conversation via SMS, and I can tell you that it is a very frustrating experience. Trying to fit everything I have to say in less than 160 characters sucks. Also because you have no formatting like there is through email so it's more difficult to add emphasis, etc. That's the only time I ever use smilies.

Normally I like to give all the details, but via text messaging I'm forced to cut it short.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:13 AM
    What we're seeing is the results of the evolution of the mobile phone, in which both BlackBerry and Apple played big parts. 10-15 years ago when we were all carrying flip phones, it was only to talk on the phone. As feature phones became smartphones, their capabilities increased over time and and people spent more and more time on their smartphones doing things other than talking.

For better or worse, it has changed the way we all live and work. It has kept us in touch with more people over greater distances, but at the cost of the more personal interaction of a phone call. It allows us to work anywhere, but at the same time work follows us everywhere.
    10-09-13 10:16 AM
40 12