I don't care what age someone is what annoys me much more is the people who have a BB but clearly don't need it as they don't know how to use 90% of the features. A friend of mine has had a BB for almost 3 years, I got mine 3 weeks ago and know a hundred times more about BB's the she does. 'Did you know you can double tap space for a period?' 'No way that's awesome!' Sheesh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 10:39 AM
    So I have a personal BB that I use for work as well. I need to have access to calendar, tasks, web, etc. Then when outside of work I use texting, facebook, twitter and the like. I could see why everyone should have one. Well I have the 18 year old that works in my building and everytime I see her on break she is on her Bold. At first I thought "cool, another crackberry addict." Then just the other day she comes to my office to ask me to find directions for her and I ask why doesn't she check from her bold. She tells me that she doesn't have a data plan, she just thought it looked cool and would be good for texting! That annoys me only because it is such a waste of a wonderful device. But I guess either way money is going to RIM and that pays to make our devices better in the future right?

09-05-09 11:39 AM
    I couldn't careless on who has a BB.
    09-05-09 11:50 AM
    What the heck is wrong with having a bold without internet??? She could still text do calender stuff etc and when she needs internet she could use the wifi....I thought att had mandatory data on blackberrys???

09-05-09 01:09 PM
    There is nothing wrong with lack of data package. But when talking with her she said she didn't use the calendar or tasks; just address book and texting. Facebook and twitter on wifi I guess. Just seems weird to me.

09-05-09 01:18 PM
    I would have to say it does NOT bother me how old or young a person is using a blackberry . If a parent wants to get their kid a BB well that's between them its not my bill. As far as the learning aspect goes I think no matter the age all have to learn the OS. I have helped on another type of user forum with regular PCs and found out just because your older doesn't mean up you are an expert . It can always swing back the other way on the age factor to if that's what you refering to I mean someone in their 80s trying to learn a BB and being a newbie at that age might be a challenge to LoL

09-05-09 01:37 PM
    I'm going to get flamed for his but... My teen has the tritan and the little one (7) a sidekick.. activities and two parents who have full time jobs AND run a business mean life Is crazy nuts. Keeps us a touch away.. 14 hour days make it difficult to manage things otherwise.

09-05-09 02:14 PM
    I am just your standard 18 year old guy with a blackberry what really annoys me is when ur friends see it then they want to get a bold without a data plan and then they ask a dumb question like how did you get your notification lite to go all disco like that then you tell them its a app then they go a app? with the most clueless face its like they don't know you can actually expand your blackberry

09-05-09 02:30 PM
    Why does that make you mad? Wtf...people aren't born knowing how to use blackberrys...suck it up and teach the person!!

09-05-09 02:36 PM
    The problem I have with younger kids relying on a device such as a BlackBerry to "keep in touch" and to stay organized is twofold.

1st off, why do they need to "keep in touch"? When I was 10 or 11 years old, I had to ask permission to make a call on the house phone. Why? Because my parents wanted to know WHO I was talking to, and WHY. And we didn't need to always be "in touch" with our parents at that age, because if we weren't at school or playing with a friend, we were HOME with our parents.

2nd of all, it's important for the younger generation to learn organization the old fashioned way, before they worry about keeping organized via technology. We're so freakin' reliant on tech nowadays that the world shuts down if the power goes out.
    09-05-09 02:45 PM
    Its a cell phone, so who cares how old the user is. More $ for rim anyway. They will need to know how to use the newest technology in the "real world" when they grow up, so I think its good. I think I'm a bit jealous of kids having nicer phones than me though...

09-05-09 03:01 PM
    The problem I have with younger kids relying on a device such as a BlackBerry to "keep in touch" and to stay organized is twofold.

1st off, why do they need to "keep in touch"? When I was 10 or 11 years old, I had to ask permission to make a call on the house phone. Why? Because my parents wanted to know WHO I was talking to, and WHY. And we didn't need to always be "in touch" with our parents at that age, because if we weren't at school or playing with a friend, we were HOME with our parents.

2nd of all, it's important for the younger generation to learn organization the old fashioned way, before they worry about keeping organized via technology. We're so freakin' reliant on tech nowadays that the world shuts down if the power goes out.
    YES^ were screwed if a permanent EMP goes off worldwide thats for sure...i wonder if the aliens have those hehe...im scarded hold me

In response to TheScionicMan's post
    NAGGERS teehee
    09-05-09 03:03 PM
    I'm only 16 but I feel as though I'm "over-qualified" for a device other than a blackberry. Simply put: I love this device and although I'm only 16, it does make my life easier.

09-05-09 03:09 PM
    I think its great that kids are up on the latest technology. Go to Japan and see what the kids "play" with you would be astonished. As a parent I can understand where ur coming from but its best they know the technology and grow with instead of all of a sudden being introduced to it.

Who knows that kid that annoyed you so much could be the next Steve Jobs or Kevin Mac. Dont stifle the youth. But again i kinda see ur point.
    09-05-09 03:55 PM
    Why does that make you mad? Wtf...people aren't born knowing how to use blackberrys...suck it up and teach the person!!

That's exasctly what I did and it was a mistake caise when people get a new bb they come to me which is kinda fun

09-05-09 03:58 PM
    LOL, what happened to my pic? I guess some mod likes naggers... They annoy me...
    09-05-09 04:12 PM

wohoooooooooo! Say it again!

I dont get why people are trying nto let kids have so much freedom. Seriously, Whats so wrong with the way people have been growing up why to 5 year olds need Blackberry Storms with unlimited data plans.....

Seriously were poisoning our youth. If it wasnt need 10 years ago it isnt needed now. I didnt get a cell phone until halfway through highschool so...
    09-05-09 04:22 PM
    Just because u were underprivledged doesn't mean everyone else should be too...

09-05-09 04:27 PM
    I'd just like to point out here that I am actually only just 16 and I have my own storm that become invaluable in everyday life and I feet the bill from Vodafone by myself because I want to. If I go over on a bill I don't want my parents paying for it, I'd rather pay it myself.

I must say though that the reason its necessary among daily school life is not just because the calendar has become legendary in my opinion as i use it all the time to record what people want me to do and when various school events are on and when coursework has to be completed.

I've become the local technology expert in my school and having access to the internet at any time helps so much in what people expect me to do.

For example, if someone wants to reinstall windows on their computer i can find all the drivers for them and link then to an email so they can download them for themselves coupled with instructions for what to do in the reinstall. I can also use google to solve problems i don't know the answers to which is very handy at times and the storm is a brilliant device because it has finally managed to replace what no other phone could, My ipod nano. Just for the capacity to play everything my ipod could and have better quality sound to it.

The e-mail is also fantastic, and the ability to use opera mini and facebook just finish off the package for me. Facebook is a brilliant tool on the blackberry as it keeps me sane on those long car journeys when i have nothing better to do

So all in all, i think it is acceptable for TEENAGERS to have blackberries, but for anybody under the age of 14, they cant use a device like that. They shouldn't need constant access to emails on their phones or access to facebook yet.

Your opinions please
    09-05-09 04:40 PM
    hate the ones without data plans
    09-05-09 04:42 PM
    I would have to say it does NOT bother me how old or young a person is using a blackberry . If a parent wants to get their kid a BB well that's between them its not my bill.

I agree! It is none of anyone else's business if a parent wants to buy their tween/teen a Blackberry.

I got my first cell phone at 14. It was only a prepaid phone and at first my parents did pay for the minutes put on it, however at the time I only used it to call home when I needed to ask permission for something and for my parents to call me when I was out. Only after I got a job and was able to pay for minutes myself was I allowed to use it for calling friends and texting.

The main reason I was given one at that age was because my dad has a bad heart and if there were ever an emergency while I was out with friends my parents could get in touch with me quickly. It is the same reason my 12 year old sister has one today. The only time she turns her phone on is when she is not home (out with friends, out with our mom, etc) or needs to make a call home when she stays late at school for something. She doesn't use it to call or text her friends and is perfectly happy with it being that way.

Recently she has been thinking about getting a phone with a better calendar than the one she has now so that she can keep track of all the activities she is involved in (she already uses a date planner, but sometimes it is a pain to take everywhere she goes.) I suggested the Pearl and showed her a bunch of the features Blackberry phones have. She talked to our dad and is now saving up her allowance so that she can purchase an unlocked one from craigslist/eBay to use with her prepaid SIM.

I see no problem with a tween/teen having a Blackberry. For goodness sake, it is just a cell phone.

hate the ones without data plans
    Why? Some people have no need for the data plan when they have a Wifi enabled phone and always have access to a Wifi connection. Yes, they don't get push email but that isn't a big deal. They can always access their accounts on the mobile site. Can't use BBM? Not everyone uses it, plus if they don't know anyone else that has a Blackberry it would be useless to them anyway.

09-05-09 05:19 PM
    It's more money for RIM, so it makes me happy!
    09-05-09 05:44 PM
    Tweens are more likely to know how to use it than your average 40 something middle class joe.
    Sadly true but it does annoy me

09-05-09 06:00 PM
    I agree! It is none of anyone else's business if a parent wants to buy their tween/teen a Blackberry.

I got my first cell phone at 14. It was only a prepaid phone and at first my parents did pay for the minutes put on it, however at the time I only used it to call home when I needed to ask permission for something and for my parents to call me when I was out. Only after I got a job and was able to pay for minutes myself was I allowed to use it for calling friends and texting.

The main reason I was given one at that age was because my dad has a bad heart and if there were ever an emergency while I was out with friends my parents could get in touch with me quickly. It is the same reason my 12 year old sister has one today. The only time she turns her phone on is when she is not home (out with friends, out with our mom, etc) or needs to make a call home when she stays late at school for something. She doesn't use it to call or text her friends and is perfectly happy with it being that way.

Recently she has been thinking about getting a phone with a better calendar than the one she has now so that she can keep track of all the activities she is involved in (she already uses a date planner, but sometimes it is a pain to take everywhere she goes.) I suggested the Pearl and showed her a bunch of the features Blackberry phones have. She talked to our dad and is now saving up her allowance so that she can purchase an unlocked one from craigslist/eBay to use with her prepaid SIM.

I see no problem with a tween/teen having a Blackberry. For goodness sake, it is just a cell phone.

Why? Some people have no need for the data plan when they have a Wifi enabled phone and always have access to a Wifi connection. Yes, they don't get push email but that isn't a big deal. They can always access their accounts on the mobile site. Can't use BBM? Not everyone uses it, plus if they don't know anyone else that has a Blackberry it would be useless to them anyway.

cuz thats the whole pt of the bb
    use data

if you dont want that tell the tweens to get a blasted sidekick
    09-05-09 06:20 PM
    cuz thats the whole pt of the bb
    use data

if you dont want that tell the tweens to get a blasted sidekick
    I'm not talking just tweens with that part though. I know a few adults that have a Blackberry and no data. They don't need/want it. Just because one person uses it doesn't mean everyone does. Yes, one of the most important features of the Blackberry phone is the push email, but not everyone buys the phone with that feature in mind. Some people decide on them simply because they like the form factor over other phones, or perhaps it is the only device their carrier offers that they like at the time they go to purchase a new phone.

09-05-09 06:47 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD