what is wrong with a kid having a Blackberry? Were living in a tech filled time period and almost everyone i know has a dumbphone or smartphone. Basically in my school if you dont have a phone you have no social life, no friends etc. EVERYONE texts.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-04-09 at 10:36 PM. Reason: removed offensive comment
    09-04-09 10:26 PM
    haha! try pulling out a crap phone and hearing a little girl go- like omg i had that phone like 4 years ago..while shes death-gripping her (insert some new expensive phone here). Seriously what do they do with these phones??? ugh.
    09-04-09 10:26 PM
    what is wrong with a kid having a Blackberry? Were living in a tech filled time period and almost everyone i know has a dumbphone or smartphone. Basically in my school if you dont have a phone you have no social life, no friends etc. EVERYONE texts.

I dont know what time period some of you ******* calling us stupid lived in but were in a different time get over it.
    and parents are realizing its the best way for them to keep contact with their kids.

Like when their 10 year olds go out to parties they want to make sure she gets home safe......
    09-04-09 10:29 PM
    The only time I get annoyed is when ppl just want the name "Blackberry" but have no idea what the phone is, how it works and why there are benefits to having one. Like its just the popular thing to do.
    09-04-09 10:29 PM
    The only time I get annoyed is when ppl just want the name "Blackberry" but have no idea what the phone is, how it works and why there are benefits to having one. Like its just the popular thing to do.
    lmao, you know how many people went and bought cheap blackberries after they saw my storm? They wanted to have the blackberry name but they dont even know how to use one.
    09-04-09 10:31 PM
    nope lol its actually people like you that annoy me, the ones that think you have to be a freakin CEO to own a BlackBerry...no offense
    None taken, I'm not a CEO or anything, I'm still in school haha. I don't think its a business phone at all (but it does come in handy), its just that Blackberries I feel are more mature. Obviously no one can put an age on blackberries, I personally wanted one since I was 15. But even when I was 15, I knew that I just wanted it because of texting. Now I know that these phones can contain most of you life. I just don't really know why tweens need such a phone, with an expensive monthly plan which the only thing they will use the phone is for texting.

kind of offended. I am 16 and i would love to have a blackberry. I try to steal my brothers all the time :] It would be great because i need a phone to help me get organize between my job, college and high school and it's a great phone to text on and go on the net. It shouldn't be the age that annoys you, maybe it's just the fact that a young teen got a nice new blackberry for free when you had to pay for it? It would upset me too. I got my first phone in the 6th grade and it was a tracfone that weighed nearly 3 pounds. Now my best friends 4 year old sister has a smartphone while i'm using a piece of crap prepaid phone from walmart. now that's ridiculous.
    I should of been more specific with my post, I mean tweens and early teens in general. I believe 16 years olds and older can handle a blackberry. I'm also in school and I know that blackberries really do keep me organized, and I'm so unorganized! haha, and same here! I have to pay for my phone, and these kids are probably adding extra expenses to their plan and giving their parents headaches. haha. I remember my first phone was a motorola flip phone, and I was in seventh grade, man do I remember my dad in tears because I made the bill come up to a whopping $600 man did I learn a lesson! haha
    09-04-09 10:35 PM
    EVERYONE texts.
    The problem here is what is known as sweeping generalization. Everyone one
    YOU KNOW may text. I personally find it to be the absolute dumbest mode
    of communication. Many others do also.
    09-04-09 10:38 PM
    True, i know alot of people who hate when people text because they say its a way to avoid real communication.
    09-04-09 10:40 PM

I dont know what time period some of you ******* calling us stupid lived in but were in a different time get over it.
    I can't knock a parent who buys their teen a Blackberry...well, I can...and I do...but I do it under my breath.

Access to technology, in general, shouldn't be the crux of this debate because, yes, in this real-time world, cell phones are as ubiquitous as cars. Specifically, however, a teen can still get around in a '92 Civic as opposed to a Benz. Likewise, if a teen needs a phone, and I can't argue that point, is a Blackberry or iPhone necessary? To your point, a dumbphone would serve your needs...and your parents as well, I imagine. A full featured smartphone with a $30 data plan? Eh, I'm not so sure.

...but of course, if you work and handle the bill yourself, I tip my hat to you.
    09-04-09 10:40 PM
    None taken, I'm not a CEO or anything, I'm still in school haha. I don't think its a business phone at all (but it does come in handy), its just that Blackberries I feel are more mature. Obviously no one can put an age on blackberries, I personally wanted one since I was 15. But even when I was 15, I knew that I just wanted it because of texting. Now I know that these phones can contain most of you life. I just don't really know why tweens need such a phone, with an expensive monthly plan which the only thing they will use the phone is for texting.

I should of been more specific with my post, I mean tweens and early teens in general. I believe 16 years olds and older can handle a blackberry. I'm also in school and I know that blackberries really do keep me organized, and I'm so unorganized! haha, and same here! I have to pay for my phone, and these kids are probably adding extra expenses to their plan and giving their parents headaches. haha. I remember my first phone was a motorola flip phone, and I was in seventh grade, man do I remember my dad in tears because I made the bill come up to a whopping $600 man did I learn a lesson! haha
    oh ok then i won't be offended..i know where you were coming from though..i hate seeing kids younger than me with a waaay better phone..and seriously what do they use them for?!!! the only people i text is my boyfriend who lives out of state and my best friend whenever i need something lol but yeah i don't do much with it besides that. People say that their addicted to their phone, i think i'm addicted to my laptop-guess that's why i need a blackberry!
    09-04-09 10:41 PM
    True, i know alot of people who hate when people text because they say its a way to avoid real communication.
    CS I swear, the easiest way to get me to ignore you is to text me.
    I only have it for two people and they know the protocol.

Call first, next is BBM, then email, then Yahoo IM and finally text.
    It almost never gets to text. Any other texts get deleted unread.
    09-04-09 10:43 PM
    i think it is a awful way of communicating, but when i only get to see my boyfriend every now and then, it's alot easier to text him during the day than call him. Texting should not be the only form of communication- it should be used when talking is not an option and i hate when people text me some stupid question then send "u there?" because i didn't text back fast enough. If they can't pick up a phone and call me then it must not be too important.. ok now i'm getting off this stinking forum > lol
    09-04-09 10:45 PM
    i think it is a awful way of communicating, but when i only get to see my boyfriend every now and then, it's alot easier to text him during the day than call him. Texting should not be the only form of communication- it should be used when talking is not an option and i hate when people text me some stupid question then send "u there?" because i didn't text back fast enough. If they can't pick up a phone and call me then it must not be too important.. ok now i'm getting off this stinking forum > lol
    Thats annoying i hate that too.
    09-04-09 10:49 PM
    I've been reading some of the comments posted here about young children receiving BBs for their personal use. Why on Earth would a 4 or 6 y.o. child have need of a fully-functional BB anyway? Do they deal with THAT many play dates they need to coordinate their schedules to fit them all in? Seriously!
    09-04-09 10:50 PM
    Good lord. Lots of kids out there want to have access to their email, and facebook... maybe they have a laptop too and want to use tetherberry? I know for a fact that if I could have used tetherberry when I was in 5th grade, I would have. Did I need it? No...but lots of you are implying that someone who is 12 wouldnt be able to use all of its features...

When I was in 5th grade I got my first cell phone. It was a motorola dpc 550 i believe. Later on I got a motorola startac cell phone in the limited edition color of dark purple, i think they called it eggplant. I think my calling plan had 100 minutes or something ridiculously low like that. The carrier at that time was Sprint Cellular I believe. It later changed to 360, then to Alltel, then to Verizon...

I had an Apple Powerbook 190cs laptop at the time...google the specs if you want to, ran at 75mhz i believe...for christmas that year I got the PCMCIA fax modem with the startac cellular cable that gave me a whopping wireless connection of 9600 baud or something like that...about the equivalent of a super slow dialup running at 1/6th the speed...LOL...oh memories...

I remember our 6th grade trip to dc and I was the only person on the entire airplane who plugged in a laptop into the telephone molded into the seat in front of me....I used a credit card (my dads, of course) to get a dial tone and then used a calling card to dial my dialup ISP back in IL...connection speed was 14.4k...

I look back and it really wasnt necessary. The phone I could see, because I juggled myself around a lot at friends houses nearby...but having wireless internet then was basically useless due to speed...the only thing a person could do for longer periods of time without going insane was send and receive email due to the slow connection speed...BUT coming from using eWorld, DELPHI, lots of bulletin board dial in sites, and IRC Internet Relay Chat, I always found it fascinating...

Go ahead now, hate away. Yes I was that geeky kid in 2nd grade who had his own VHS camcorder...gosh I hated lugging that thing around in its case that was the size of a carry on...but all of the memories are priceless!!!
    09-04-09 11:05 PM
    i work at an at&t retailer, and i encounter tweens getting blackberries alllll theee tiiiime. some are required to pay for the cost of the phone, and the data, which i really cant argue with, but others waltz up with their parents credit card and get themselves a BOLD. ugh. regardless of if i think they will use the phone to its fullest potential (which a lot of people who own PDA's dont do anyway), it bothers me when a child is getting a phone that is half of my rent. i dont doubt that they will be able to operate it, but will they appreciate it and realize how lucky they are to have the LUXURY of owning a BB. bc it is a luxury....so, yea, it kinda bothers me.. lol
    09-04-09 11:21 PM
    These kind of threads make me laugh. Who are you or anyone else to say who can have a BlackBerry or who cannot? It's their or their parents money so they are own and use whatever phone they want nothing to get annoyed over.
    09-04-09 11:39 PM
    No, not really. At least regionally, the Blackberry isn't a status symbol. Thats what can get under my skin, technology as fashion. As a primarily iPhone user, I see a lot of it.

That said, if anything is going to **** me off about phone usage amongst teens, its the massacre of the English language, not the phone they do it with. Well, that, or the overwhelming ability to spend hours of chatter saying nothing, not that that particular ability is confined to teens, they just seem to be especially good at it.
    09-04-09 11:47 PM
    No hate here. I got my first computer when I was 9 (1979!!) It was an Apple IIe. 128K memory, 5.25 floppy drive, 300 baud modem. I played Zork for hours! LOL
    /offtopic

Awesome!!! I messed around a lot with the apple IIe when I was in first grade. They had tons of them with dot matrix printers...I loved oregon trail on the IIe!

300 baud modem....my oh my have times changed!!!

/ontopic
    09-05-09 12:30 AM
    Some teens are fortunate enough to have many things the average person can't afford -- large homes, trips to exotic places, really nice cars, etc. Why single out the Blackberry?

As for whether or not teens should have those things, it's hard to say. That's just how some families live. IMHO, being spoiled isn't really about being given too many nice things. It has more to do with being allowed to develop the mentality that one is "entitled" to certain things, not being required to work towards goals, and not being taught how to serve and respect others. So, I don't really care if a teen has a Blackberry or not.
    09-05-09 01:52 AM
    With all due respect I believe he/she was referring to their school/peer group, not society in general, and most tweens/teens DO text.
    With equal due respect, considering that the poster did not qualify his
    statement as age specific I stand by by my sweeping generalization comment.
    You of course are free to infer what you wish.
    09-05-09 08:06 AM
    My neighbors six year old has a BB storm with unlimited data plan.....
    Now that is F***ing ********, no reason for anyone under 12 to need a cell phone honestly if your kids are that independant already your doing something wrong, encourage childhood as long as you can once its gone like everyone else they'll wish it lasted longer....
    09-05-09 09:15 AM
    ever watch teens in the same room texting each other? they all do its so bizare and......its like such a breakdown of society, I'll be damned if i let my kids get that disconnected lol
    09-05-09 09:17 AM
    CS I swear, the easiest way to get me to ignore you is to text me.
    I only have it for two people and they know the protocol.

Call first, next is BBM, then email, then Yahoo IM and finally text.
    It almost never gets to text. Any other texts get deleted unread.
    I like that protocol, I may have to get my friends in line with that!
    09-05-09 09:29 AM
    Some teens are fortunate enough to have many things the average person can't afford -- large homes, trips to exotic places, really nice cars, etc. Why single out the Blackberry?

As for whether or not teens should have those things, it's hard to say. That's just how some families live. IMHO, being spoiled isn't really about being given too many nice things. It has more to do with being allowed to develop the mentality that one is "entitled" to certain things, not being required to work towards goals, and not being taught how to serve and respect others. So, I don't really care if a teen has a Blackberry or not.
    Most valid point I've read here. I say if a teen that has a job, bought his own 8900, and pays his bill monthly, (me :P) then there's no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 09:55 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD