I just plugged in my Bold (running .247) and Avast picked up a virus.

Filename: m:\autorun.inf
    Malware Name: BV:AutoRun-G [Wrm]

I certainly is persistent, as Avast won't get rid of it. I don't know if it really is a virus, or if it's a legitimate autorun program and Avast is giving me a false positive.

Anybody?
    04-08-09 09:00 PM
    Yes you do. It is a virus that affects flash/pen drives. Let me
    see if I can find the removal tool. Good thing is it can't affect
    your phone.

Edit: Try this:

Download Autorun Eater 2.3 - Scan and Remove Suspicious 'autorun.inf' Files Automatically! - Softpedia
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-08-09 at 09:09 PM.
    04-08-09 09:07 PM
    Yikes! While I knew I wasn't immune, getting a virus on my BB is surprising. Thanks for the info.
    04-08-09 09:52 PM
    Just for my own info... Blackberry's OS at this point are not targeted by viruses but the media cards can still be infected. However the card's infection will not effect the phone's OS and software? Am I right on this or out to lunch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 10:06 PM
    This particular one, yes. But you'll likely transfer the virus to other machines if you plug your BB into them.
    04-08-09 10:08 PM
    The day is coming, I'm sure as this phone gets more and more popular, the phreaks come out to play. No offense towards old school phreaks, I needed a euphatwism.

04-08-09 10:10 PM
    This is all Greek to me. I didn't even know my bb could get a virus. I guess it just stands to reason.

04-08-09 10:12 PM
    Bingo... the virus was indeed on my media card. Autorun Eater consumed it, and is converting it into a big turd. Thanks 'Graceless.
    04-08-09 10:25 PM
    Fantastic!! Make sure when you do scans from this point on you
    include your memory card in the drives to be scanned, so you
    don't risk transferring malware to your PC.
    04-08-09 10:45 PM
    Yes, there are BB specific viruses, but they are few and far between. As with all viruses, making sure you know what you plug your BB into, and not downloading or opening email attachments that you are unsure about will drastically reduce the chance of you getting one. Mind you, at this point, "drastically reducing" means going from fractions of a percentage to fractions of fractions of a percentage.

04-08-09 10:54 PM
    Also, as of the moment executables on BBs must be installed. Most likely the first real prominant ones would target things like Documents to go, since users would pass along a document that would cause a buffer overflow in the app itself (sorry if that's too nerdy for this forum). As for desktops an executable can be passed along and run on a system without an installer. If someone came out with an "app" that was actually a virus it would have to be something functional as well as a virus, otherwise no one would install it. If it didn't do anything useful, with the limied space we have on our bbs, no one would use it.

04-09-09 12:21 AM
    An additional comment, BB users are a close nit group. Think of how often you check the forums. If a virus did appear, it would be all over this forum. We don't have virus scanners but we do have eachother.

04-09-09 12:28 AM
    Indeed, the closeness of Crackberry is what keeps me coming back... not only for information (as a pearl user I don't need to checkup on the latest 8900 stuff, but its interesting and might be useful later) but for the community as well...

As Jeff stated, I'm sure that if a virus popped up, word would spread on this site like wildfire! ... which just gives me one more reason to check crackberry a couple times a day
    04-09-09 11:32 PM
    I agree, if a virus ever hit blackberrys, it would have to be faster than the Ebola Zaire. Even then it would have no chance of taking over. Then again, nobody ever thought a trans atlantic flight was possible.

04-10-09 12:45 AM
    being overseas and away from my own computer i stumbled on the same virus.

avast antivirus kept warning and i didnt know how to get rid of it.

i also used the Autorun Eater. great easy prog. did the fix!

THANKS Amazingraceless!!!
    06-09-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD