My H and I never come close to using all of our minutes. Knowing that I wont exceed my minutes based on how much I make phone calls, do I NEED tmobile@home or will I still be able to make wifi phone calls if I get a curve (I havent purchaced a BB yet - still trying to justify getting one - I want it but dont NEED it)

The reason I'd love to use wifi to make calls is because right now, we live in an area of between 1-2 bars of tmobile service (even though the salesman looked and said we were a 3 bar neighborhood ) and there are spots that my current phone wont work in my house. I have wireless internet in my house right now (it's secured and has a WEP key). Plus, when I'm at my parents house I have NO service whatsoever in their house with my current phone, but they too have wireless internet (with a WEP key).

So, again, knowing that I want to use the wifi to make calls, and knowing that I wont ever go over my minutes anyhow, do I NEED to pay the $10/month for the @home service?
    09-27-08 10:17 AM
    Nope! If ur not worried about going over ur minutes I wouldn't get the h@h service. U will still be able to make calls via wifi they will just be removed from ur calling plan minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 10:37 AM
    No, you do not need it. I am in the same situation as you. My wife and I share a TMO family plan with shared minutes which we never come close to using up. She has a Razor and I the BB 8320. Her phone is used solely for phone calls, no messaging, no e-mail, none of that. I have the monthly unlimited data plan on my BB with four e-mail accounts (including work) but no SMS messaging. I have a DSL wireless router both at home and at work and my phone is always in WiFi mode when I'm at those locations. Works out great for me.
    09-27-08 10:38 AM
    Definitely not! You can connect to UMA and make calls, transfer data, send SMS, etc over WiFi without Hostpot@Home

The billing will continue as normal, standard messaging and data rates... etc. The only thing that is different if you get H@H is free minutes when calling over UMA.
    09-27-08 10:51 AM
    let met ask you this then
    im trying to get connection to wifi, but sometimes it says
    T-Mobile - linksys, and now it just says linksys, but when it says T-Mobile - linksys it is in uma...and i think t-mo is "watching" my internet or something. Anyway to keep the t-mobile from coming up?
    09-29-08 07:41 PM
    let met ask you this then
    im trying to get connection to wifi, but sometimes it says
    T-Mobile - linksys, and now it just says linksys, but when it says T-Mobile - linksys it is in uma...and i think t-mo is "watching" my internet or something. Anyway to keep the t-mobile from coming up?
    TMobile is not "watching" or monitoring any internet (usage, bandwidth, etc)

If you are connected properly to UMA it will say TMobile and the network name you are connected to... and the connection will be UMA, not EDGE.

Go into Manage Connections > Services Status and it will give you a rundown of your connection! When on UMA, it should say :

Voice Services
    Connection : WiFi (UMA)
    BlackBerry Internet Service
    Connection : WiFi(UMA)

etc etc

Mobile Network
    UMA
    Mobile Network Provider
    TMobile

WiFi Network
    Active Profile : <whatever network profile you're connected to>
    SSID : the name of the WAP you are connected to
    Type: 802.11 <whatever type -- b/g/n>
    09-29-08 07:52 PM
    FYI to all those thinking of getting tmo@home - I got my BB today and the sales guy tried to get me to get the tmo@home and told me that wifi calls would only work if I had that service. I started to correct him (based on info from you all - thanks!) when his buddy behind him corrected him. So this sales guy didnt even know that this service was not needed.... yikes! I explained that the closest I ever came to my minutes was within 200 minutes so I was not concerned about going over
    09-29-08 08:11 PM
    FYI to all those thinking of getting tmo@home - I got my BB today and the sales guy tried to get me to get the tmo@home and told me that wifi calls would only work if I had that service. I started to correct him (based on info from you all - thanks!) when his buddy behind him corrected him. So this sales guy didnt even know that this service was not needed.... yikes! I explained that the closest I ever came to my minutes was within 200 minutes so I was not concerned about going over
    This just proves the point that the Sales Reps are there to make $$ and meet quotas... they really have no clue what they are talking about haha
    09-30-08 12:02 PM
    yea but i don't wanna be connected to uma, i just want wi-fi so I can browse the internet when my computer is off
    09-30-08 04:13 PM
    You could also think about lowering your plan and paying the $10 for H & H, that's what I did. All my calls from home (or in a wifi area) are not deducted from plan minutes so I may even be able to go to a lower minute plan. You'd have to figure out if it's worth it to you.
    10-02-08 10:26 PM
    You could also think about lowering your plan and paying the $10 for H & H, that's what I did. All my calls from home (or in a wifi area) are not deducted from plan minutes so I may even be able to go to a lower minute plan. You'd have to figure out if it's worth it to you.
    My husband and I are already on the lowest family plan
    10-03-08 04:37 AM
    yea but i don't wanna be connected to uma, i just want wi-fi so I can browse the internet when my computer is off
    Not sure why you don't want to be connected to UMA......

If you REALLY don't want to connect to UMA (which there is absolutly no downside to) go to manage connecions -> mobile network options ->connection preference. Change it to either "mobile network only" if you never want to use UMA, or "mobile network prefered" if you want to be able to hit UMA in a pinch.
    10-03-08 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD