BlackBerry Maps 4.5.0 750 KB
    Google Maps 3.2.1 1.1 MB
    Sprint Navigation 2.8.0.1195 2.2 MB
    Poynt 1.4.2.72 525 MB

Can I unistall BlackBerry Maps, or do any of the other applications need it? If I uncheck it in the DM App Loader to uninstall, is it easy to get back if I change my mind?

Also seeking opinions on my "suite" of mapping apps. Which of these are going to be the most useful when I'm on a road trip?
    12-04-09 07:30 AM
    You are not alone is having a full larder of mapping apps. I've got more than that although a slightly different assortment.

Most people have a preference for one or the other of googlemaps and BBmaps. They are similar in many respects. You can remove either of them or both. You should be able to get them back as long as the alx/cod files are still on your computer and DesktopManager shows them.

I believe Sprint nav is a turn-by-turn, verbal instruction program and that would be helpful when traveling as you do not always have to look at the screen.

Poynt has some different search/lookup functions but you might find you can duplicate those functions in a slightly less friendly manner by using the Browser and google's search.

Another way to make sure that you can reinstall some of these apps is to independently back them up. I use BBSAK (bb swiss army knife) to back up various apps - it can be more complicated than Desktop manager as sometimes apps might be made of of some submodules (multiple cod files) and you would need to have all of them and know their names - not always obvious. But once you become familiar with the scheme of cod files it becomes a bit easier.

To sum up - your choice as to what you want to use.
    12-04-09 10:01 AM
    I have Sprint Nav, which is cool but I rarely use it, Google maps and poynt. A less visual friendly but smaller alternative to poynt is berry411 (in the free ota download section, immediatly visible from m.crackberry.com). I ditched BBmaps is preference to google maps, but that's a personal thing. Poynt will work with either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 10:14 AM
    Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if Sprint Nav used BB maps; from your replies, I see that it doesn't. I found where Poynt lets you choose which maps to use.

I have played around with all of these some more. I do want to keep Sprint Nav; for one thing, I wouldn't know how to get it back if I deleted it. I did find the BB Maps cod file so I am confident that it could be easily restored if I uninstalled in with DM.

I like Google Maps except it doesn't always find me with GPS. And if I set Poynt to use Google Maps, it can't find me either. I also noticed that Poynt found one of my favorite restaurants nearby when set to BB maps, but not when see to Google maps! So I like the functionality of BB maps but i prefer the look of Google maps.

So I think I will keep all of these for the time being. As a new owner (One month), I have loaded my poor little Curve up pretty good. I will probably need to uninstall something before trying the next thing.
    12-04-09 12:36 PM
    Here's something I discovered today while prepping for an extended business trip to Europe next month:

Sprint Navigation does not cover Europe while BB Maps and Google Maps do. But while they both can give text directions for Europe neither does audible directions so I ended up buying a month of amAze for $3.99 because it supposedly gives turn-by-turn voice directions in Europe (so far the USA navigation works fine).

Europe is probably not a factor for most folks but I figured I would throw it out there. So I will probably be dumping BB Maps and then amAze when my trip is over.
    12-27-09 02:46 AM
    I deleted BB Maps but now want it back because GPS in Google Map won't find me. So, I go to BB Maps page and they send me an email with the link to download the app. I get to the download page but it says sorry,your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support blackberry maps. What is up with this? I have a brand new tour.
    12-28-09 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD