Hi all

With the new law that makes unlocking phones illegal.

Do I need to contact Verizon to unlock a BB 9550 that I bought on eBay?

Thanks
    01-28-13 06:57 AM
    My phone is unlocked from T-Mobile. Hear that feds?!

Unlock your phone and use it. Be merry. The Storm there was built long before this so called "rule" anyway.
    01-28-13 07:26 AM
    Did T-Mobile unlocked your phone after January 26th, 2013?

It is not clear to me if only phone providers can unlock phones? Or individuals can unlock phones if they own them? Or does it mean that the phone was built after January 26th 2013? Is it only illegal for unlocking a new phone?

Thanks
    01-28-13 08:16 AM
    This link explains that the no-unlocking rule does not apply to used phones.

Unlocking your new smartphone is now illegal: What you need to know | Digital Trends

"Is it illegal to unlock all smartphones?

No.

The no-unlocking rule only applies to “newly purchased” phones, meaning any carrier-locked phone purchased on or after October 28, 2012, the date the new rules went into effect. (A 90-day grace period ended today, January 26.)

If you buy a used phone – or even a new phone not directly from a carrier – you are still allowed to unlock it. It’s also perfectly legal to buy a phone that comes unlocked. You can also, in some circumstances, ask your carrier for permission to unlock your device. (More on this below.)"
    01-28-13 08:28 AM
    I bought an unlock code for my own online, I'm not asking T-Mobile for squat. In short; I unlocked my phone.

I don't forsee any way of enforcing such a doofy law, and besides, your phone was created long before they conceived it. If you're really that paranoid, you can try to get Verizon to give you the code, generally carriers want to pressure you into a contract with them instead, but the Storm2 is a phone they no longer carry, so they may hook you right up.

Given the absurdity of all of this, I don't think for one second about unlocking my devices nor am I worried about the men in black showing up at my door. I will personally make it my responsibility to inform the CrackBerry nation if i'm about to get thrown in the slammer for using a device I paid for the way I see fit.

Good luck.
    01-28-13 08:31 AM
    This link explains that the no-unlocking rule does not apply to used phones.

Unlocking your new smartphone is now illegal: What you need to know | Digital Trends

"Is it illegal to unlock all smartphones?

No.

The no-unlocking rule only applies to �newly purchased� phones, meaning any carrier-locked phone purchased on or after October 28, 2012, the date the new rules went into effect. (A 90-day grace period ended today, January 26.)

If you buy a used phone � or even a new phone not directly from a carrier � you are still allowed to unlock it. It�s also perfectly legal to buy a phone that comes unlocked. You can also, in some circumstances, ask your carrier for permission to unlock your device. (More on this below.)"
    You posted right before I did
    At any rate, there you go.
    I swear this kind of law is such a goofy attempt against just another one our freedoms. Carriers should not have the ability to "force" a consumer's hand should they want to buy only a device and not accompanying service. Oh well, yay eBay.
    01-28-13 08:34 AM
    It just occurred to me that some MVNO's are already ahead of the game!
    Take Simple Mobile for example; a prepaid carrier that services T-Mobile phones whether they are unlocked or not, or there's Straight Talk's SIM program, where you can use their full service with any 3G or 4G capable locked AT&T or T-Mobile device (except BlackBerry in their case.)

It seems this "law" is already losing ground
    01-28-13 08:44 AM
    You posted right before I did
    At any rate, there you go.
    I swear this kind of law is such a goofy attempt against just another one our freedoms. Carriers should not have the ability to "force" a consumer's hand should they want to buy only a device and not accompanying service. Oh well, yay eBay.
    Can't we just pass a budget instead of this crappel
    01-28-13 09:40 AM
    For sure, but since words like "limit" and "ceiling" are words without apparent meaning; probably not
    01-28-13 09:51 AM