View Poll Results: Devices you use or have used in addition to your blackberry.

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm PDA (Tungsten, Zire, and Lifedrive models)

17 17.89%
  • Palm Smartphones (Treo, Centro)

38 40.00%
  • Palm PDA (Pilot I-VIIx, Visor, and m models)

12 12.63%
  • Pocket PC/Windows Mobile PDA

37 38.95%
  • Pocket PC/Windows Mobile Smartphone

33 34.74%
  • Symbian PDA

4 4.21%
  • Symbian Smartphone

6 6.32%
  • Linux PDA

2 2.11%
  • Linux Smartphone

0 0%
  • Other (please specify in reply)

13 13.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Out of curiosity I'm wondering what devices everyone uses or has used in the event their Blackberry has replaced previously used device(s). For simplicity and side by side comparison I make this a poll. Feel free to comment in addition to choosing from the list.
    06-12-08 06:50 AM
    I started with a Palm Zire 72, then 2+ years of Palm Treo use, then an 8100 Pearl, now an 8310 Curve. Happier with every upgrade.
    Last edited by Chaz; 06-12-08 at 07:14 AM.
    06-12-08 07:05 AM
    I started out on my first smart phone with the Moto Q - Hated it. Then moved to the Palm Trio and thought it was the best phone ever, until I got a BB. I will not go back to anything else now. Started with the Pearl and now have the Curve.
    06-12-08 07:10 AM
    I used an HP Ipaq HW6915 for 2 years......should have changed to a BB sooner - love it!!!
    06-12-08 07:10 AM
    Zire 71... in conjunction with a standard flip cell phone... moved to a Treo 650... then to a BB 7250 (for work) fell in love with Blackberry.. now on to an 8330 Curve... LOVE IT!
    06-12-08 07:16 AM
    I forgot to mention my device history. I previously owned a palm m130, tungsten E, and tungsten T5. I still use the T5 but could completely transition to my curve 8330 if it weren't for splash money and some games I have on it. But seeing as at least one of their titles is available for blackberry there is hope that they will bring splash money over. I really don't need the games but I like to pass the time with them and doubt I would be so lucky to get the exact ones for free for BB. Prior to owning any PDAs I was introduced to them from friends with Palm V and a couple newer pilot models.
    06-12-08 07:17 AM
    Back in 1999 or 2000... or was it 2001? I saw a Palm m130 at a local Fry's one night and had to have it. 160x160 color screen... nice! I found programs to install, and was in love. I even used AOL/AIM over a dial up connection with a kyocera verizon phone (back when you could use your cell phone to call dial up accounts and it counted as minutes, which were unlimited nights and weekends ) slow... anyway...

then, I forget exactly when, I got a Clie... um... I forget which one but one of the nicer ones, it was a clamshell with a swivel screen and a memory stick (full size) slot. But I spilled water on it and wound up with...

A Palm Tungsten T3, which is still alive and well with a friend I gave it to. I mostly got it for running Bhajis Loops, an awesome Palm OS based sequencer/studio app.

At one point I washed a nice samsung clamshell (it was something like $300 new lol, several years ago) and while looking around t-mobile's site I saw the Sidekick II. I barely talked on the phone and the $30 unlimited txt and data was a tempting thing.

I used the sidekick for about a year, and had some good times. But then...

I saw the Treo 700p had just come out on Sprint, and it had EVDO! I was lured away from t-mobile who had been good to me for at least three years, and used the Treo for the next two years, until Sprint decided to make my service at home incredibly poor. It turns out they sold towers in the area

So after much deliberation, I got my Curve. My favorite device yet, although Palm is still King of PIM if you ask me. and I miss the SMS threading on my Treo. But oh well, I hardly think about it anymore, until my Curve mixes txt msgs up lol.

Oh, and i'm the one on the poll with the Linux PDA. I have a Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100. Really nice for what it is, once I reflashed it with pdaXrom Mostly used for word processing on the go, although now i'm very tempted to wire my Curve to it to try for some mobile tethering hehe. If I had a good alternative to word processing on my Curve, I'd probably sell the Zaurus. And yes i've used... whatever that WAY over-priced, ultra-slow application is called... eOffice or something. I hated the demo to that thing, it's either written poorly, or the Curve just can't hack it, or both
    06-12-08 07:27 AM
    Um. Palm zire 71. Liked it for a week or two. Upgraded to a Palm Tungston E. I thought a smartphone would be great, but even the contract prices were too high for me. A happy coincidence of needing a new phone, reduced price, and a little extra cash brought me my 8330. It's much better than I thought it would be.
    06-12-08 08:08 AM
    I use to love palm, still regretted it when I first switched. Mind you that was when the berry was big, clunky and gray scale. No I laugh at every tech that comes in with a Palm.
    06-12-08 08:22 AM
    <...snip...>

Oh, and i'm the one on the poll with the Linux PDA. I have a Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100. Really nice for what it is, once I reflashed it with pdaXrom Mostly used for word processing on the go, although now i'm very tempted to wire my Curve to it to try for some mobile tethering hehe. If I had a good alternative to word processing on my Curve, I'd probably sell the Zaurus. And yes i've used... whatever that WAY over-priced, ultra-slow application is called... eOffice or something. I hated the demo to that thing, it's either written poorly, or the Curve just can't hack it, or both

Oh man, forgot about my Zaurus, I has an SL-5500. That was a nice device, the tiny I could run on it were excellent. That really was a computer in the palm of my hand, completely unlike windows mobile. The PIM functionality was kind of a mix bag of some good some bad.

I wound up giving that to a friend when I got a treo 650 for work, then migrated to a Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) then migrated to an 8800 and now an 8310.
    06-12-08 08:22 AM
    If you count the iPhone as a smart phone. I do own one, don't use it much though. I've owned to many smart phones to count, none as good as my berries though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 08:30 AM
    MAN......

vx6600, ,bb7100t, 6700, treo700wx, motoQ, 6800(mogul), 6900(touch)
    06-12-08 08:32 AM
    Yeah I had the Sprint PC 6700 it is a great phone.It has a touch screen,wi-fi ,blue tooth capabilities. It also doubled as a modem it is a awesome. I still would be using it if sprint wasent such assholes.People complained about the screen freezing It did not happen to me that often.
    06-12-08 09:03 AM
    HP200 Palmtop (and its predecessors)
    06-12-08 09:04 AM
    I started out a few years back on Nextel, with the 7520, (I needed the push email and the direct connect). I used that and always had a sidekick ever since the first sidekick was introduced. Eventually I got tired of the sidekick after the second version, and now I'm in love with my world edition 8830. I do have to admit, I am considering purchasing the 3G Iphone coming out next month, (July 11th), but never leaving the blackberry alone.
    06-12-08 09:27 AM
    I went into AT&T for the Palm Treo with super excitement. When I got home, of course I had to play with it for the rest of the day... all evening... all night?

Wait, something's wrong here: I couldn't figure the crazy device out! Just to get a ringtone, I would have to buy a $30 dollar program and download it, then make my own mp3s and transfer them to the phone.
    Whoa, whoa now; for my 1st smartphone, that's way too much work.

Needless to say, I brought it back the next day and traded it for a shiny new Crimson Curve... and what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom
    Last edited by LilCostello; 06-12-08 at 12:23 PM.
    06-12-08 12:20 PM
    I started out with a Dell Axim X3i with wifi. After a while I got tired of carrying it and a cellphone, so I moved on to the Treo 650. But I really missed the Windows OS, then out came the Treo 750 with WM. Now I have my beloved Curve, not sure why it took me so long to get here.

06-12-08 03:50 PM
    BB is the first and only smartphone that has had appealed to me. So it's my first.

06-12-08 08:30 PM
    I have had a regular old Palm PDA, 3 different types of BlackBerry, several Windows Mobile PPCs, a couple Windows Mobile Smartphones, one Palm OS device, and the iPhone.

I have been on the fence for awhile, but MobileMe and seeing just how advanced its OS is for 3rd party development turned out to be the feathers that pushed me over. I am going back to the iPhone. If RIM ever decides to end their complacency and actually upgrades their OS instead of just throwing lipstick on the pig every new device, I may come back.

I hold loyalty to no device because it is a really good way to miss out on some wonderful technology. <shrug>
    06-12-08 09:25 PM
    used a Handspring (palm of sorts) Visor Pro, Palm Tungsten T2, Lifedrive, finally a Treo700p. I just loved the 3rd party apps they have to offer. Sadly it seems like Palm hasn't gone anywhere in a while. Maybe they're just expecting 3rd party apps to do it all. Kinda disappointing, but it looks like that's switching me over to BB.
    06-12-08 09:38 PM
    I started out a Palm guy back in the early 2000s with a m125 then gradually moving onto a Tungsten E and then a Tungsten T3. I then went WM with a Dell Axim X51v. It was a great PDA and I actually liked WM. When I decided I wanted a smartphone I did look at some WM o/s ones like the HTC Touch and Moto Q9c but I realized that although WM was a great on a standalone PDA, I didn't like it all that much once a phone was integrated into it.

I still keep the X51v synced with Outlook to use as a backup PIM device.
    06-12-08 09:54 PM
    Palm Smartphones (Treo, Centro)
    Pocket PC/Windows Mobile PDA
    Pocket PC/Windows Mobile Smartphone
    Symbian Smartphone

I know the iPhone isn't here, but that's another device I've used and will use when the 3g version comes out...

CrazE!!!! mobileme owns mE

Too many to name... Lol.
    06-12-08 11:28 PM
    I guess the iphone kinds of falls into the other category since its the newcomer on the block i figure 99.9% of everyone here used the other devices more likely that the iphone before getting a BB though it is possible that some BB users may get iphones too but I kind of figured there aren't very many doing that. If I had more than 10 options I would have broken down the options a little bit more and iphone probably would have made the cut as a specific option.
    06-13-08 01:25 AM
    I used a Att Blackjack I for almost a year, then I tried the dash for two days before switching to the T-mobile Blackberry Curve 8320!
    06-13-08 08:12 AM
    Started with Palm in ~1998, rest of history in the sig. Was a loyal Treo fanboy until, like the dinosaur, it couldn't stand the test of time.
    06-13-08 09:57 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD