Can anyone confirm or deny that the Blackberry 10 will have a camera with autofocus?
    ..Given the negative press RIM experienced on the lack of one in the Bold 99xx line.
    ...Would it not be a little odd if they were to repeat this on the new device coming out?
    06-28-12 01:16 AM
    As no official word from RIM about BB10 Hardware specs.... no way of knowing... Anyone saying otherwise is simply regurgetating rumors......
    06-28-12 01:22 AM
    I'd say AF is very likely as the camera Rewind feature probably needs autofocus (possibly multipoint) to work.
    06-28-12 01:27 AM
    Given that the camera on the Dev Alpha is said to have autofocus by people who own them, i would guess its highly probably that BB10 devices will have autofocus. THis has been asked before already.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ofocus-722002/
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-28-12 02:47 AM
    I hope not, I don't want to go back to having to think 1-2 seconds ahead for moving shots. It will have two cameras, make the front one autofocus.

Edof camera takes better HD video too as it doesn't have to constantly adjust the focus.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-28-12 03:07 AM
    I hope not, I don't want to go back to having to think 1-2 seconds ahead for moving shots. It will have two cameras, make the front one autofocus.

Edof camera takes better HD video too as it doesn't have to constantly adjust the focus.

Be careful what you wish for.
    agree, 1 AF and 1 EDOF with equal resolution would be luxury !
    06-28-12 05:55 AM
    agree, 1 AF and 1 EDOF with equal resolution would be luxury !

AF with the option of turning it off and setting to max DOF would be the best solution.
    06-28-12 06:46 AM
    I've got both an iphone 4s & and blackberry 9930 and have shot many videos with each...
    ...The iphone simply takes better pictures and shoots smoother, better video.
    ...So I reject RIM needs EDOF to insure that the HD video quality is good.

I for one will be very happy if the device has autofocus.

The following is what caused me to ask this question.....
    ...Myself not knowing what is or isn't possible whereas the camera is concerned.

The last big thing we’ll talk about is the camera, RIM’s basically taken a 3rd party camera app and turned it into their own BB10 camera software. Now when you take a picture, the phone records a few seconds before and after, like a sponge, it sort of absorbs whatever’s going on in the view finder. After you snap a shot, you’ll be able to rewind or fast forward the photo to find the perfect shot. It’s very cool, but does come at a price, from what we’ve seen, due to the technology behind this feature, there’s no auto focus on the lens. So it’s going to be trade off, will it be one that customers will sacrifice? I guess we’ll find out later this year.
    RIM shows off BlackBerry 10 with new on-screen keyboard and more | TechHog.com | Tech News and Reviews on all things Mobile
    06-28-12 12:15 PM
    The Scalado software does not dictate whether there will be autofocus or not.

A possible explanation is the "sponged" images could be AFTER the camera has been focused.

I wish people wouldn't draw conclusions when there's so little evidence to support anything. That goes for my own comments too. I just had to suggest something to counter the presumption above.
    06-28-12 12:50 PM
    The Scalado software does not dictate whether there will be autofocus or not.

A possible explanation is the "sponged" images could be AFTER the camera has been focused.

I wish people wouldn't draw conclusions when there's so little evidence to support anything. That goes for my own comments too. I just had to suggest something to counter the presumption above.
    I agree with you - that's why I am trying to either confirm or deny what this article is saying....
    ...Is there any other camera tech currently out there using this feature that has AF?
    ...Or is this an ability of EDOF sytems only?
    06-28-12 12:59 PM
    I would be very, very surprised if all initial BB10 phones do not have AF rear camera and a front-facing camera. Early on when BBX was first being announced as the brand's new 'superphones', many of these features were identified by RIM management as must-haves. Other than that, there's really no way for us outsiders to know what the specs of anything of BB10 will be.
    06-28-12 01:59 PM
    RIM cannot ignore convergence any longer. They did with media consumption, and Apple easily scooped up many customers, not primarily for this - though it was a contributing factor indeed.

"I don't need to carry my iPod *AND* my cell phone anymore? They can be one device? Count me in!" cried many...

Now - with the popularity of InstraGram, and cell phone cameras in large - introducing a device these days without a good camera is short-sighted, and would only prove again - they don't get it.

Let's hope that is not the case. Give consumers a reason to leave their (cheap) point-and-shoot camera @ home on their vacation.

(EDIT: Says the guy with a Bold 9900)
    06-28-12 02:32 PM
    To repeat: the dev alpha DOES have an AF camera; probably safe to assume the BB10 release will as well.
    06-28-12 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD