I have noticed that every editor on crackberry uses other devices and I'm not even sure if BBs are even their primary phone. Is this common on imore and android/windows central or has BlackBerry fallen so far that the biggest BlackBerry fan site editors don't even show the love anymore?
    11-01-12 04:22 PM
    Great question.
    11-01-12 04:24 PM
    A very good question, I couldn't imagine using any device that wasn't a BlackBerry. Loving my 9900 and my Playbook and I have no interest in using an Apple or Android device.
    11-01-12 04:30 PM
    I have noticed that every editor on crackberry uses other devices and I'm not even sure if BBs are even their primary phone. Is this common on imore and android/windows central or has BlackBerry fallen so far that the biggest BlackBerry fan site editors don't even show the love anymore?
    I know of a few on iMore who have BBs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-01-12 04:37 PM
    Watched a vid by james on windows phone today and his BB interupted his vid.
    11-01-12 05:54 PM
    My bad android central 1:45 is where its at.

HTC One X+ retail unboxing and hardware tour | Android Central
    BryantCarpio likes this.
    11-01-12 06:01 PM
    Yup, I write on AC and iMore, and still use my Bold 9900 on a day-to-day basis. I don't spend a lot of time with apps on it since I've got a bunch of other devices kicking around for that sort of thing, but BlackBerry is still handling my messaging needs. Will probably switch up to an N-series if it's made available on WIND or Mobilicity.
    11-01-12 06:28 PM
    Yup, I write on AC and iMore, and still use my Bold 9900 on a day-to-day basis. I don't spend a lot of time with apps on it since I've got a bunch of other devices kicking around for that sort of thing, but BlackBerry is still handling my messaging needs. Will probably switch up to an N-series if it's made available on WIND or Mobilicity.
    What about Renee, Daniel and Phil?
    11-01-12 07:25 PM
    Once BB10 hits i'm sure they will check it out! No reason at the present time however
    11-01-12 07:28 PM
    I'm pretty sure the other EICs don't touch BlackBerry, barring stuff like round-robins or other extraordinary circumstances. Like Gatmyer says, the BB10 launch might give them a reason to do a comparison.
    11-01-12 09:10 PM
    It's only okay to be ignorant of other platforms if that platform is blackberry . Imagine one of the other sister sites people doing a 'phone tour'. I don't see it going over well. Renee seems to be openminded but I'm pretty sure Phil actually believes the stories that RIM is dead.

Definitely agree once BB10 is out people are gonna take a good look at it.
    11-01-12 10:24 PM
    Rene, Phil and Dan don't use BB's... never have too much either over the years.

Even when BlackBerry was at its height of popularity, they never did. I'd say of the bunch of other EiCs, Rene has the most respect for BlackBerry. He gets the BB strengths (always has), and who it appeals too. Dan and Phil... a little less. Think that's a fair statement. If they disagree they can reply here.

Most of the EiCs do have some other platform devices around though... we all usually make sure to have some iOS around as that's sort of a standard benchmark and we all need to know it. With BlackBerry 10 hitting the market all of the EiCs will definitely have it to use and try and we are planning some cross site events. So I think we'll all use.

As for EiCs/writers on the team, we all still rock the BBs. Sometimes we're using other devices too at same time, but we all have our berries going... I expect instant responses to emails and bbms i send all hours of the day... it's gotta be BB!
    Jtaylor1986 likes this.
    11-01-12 10:58 PM
    As for EiCs/writers on the team, we all still rock the BBs. Sometimes we're using other devices too at same time, but we all have our berries going... I expect instant responses to emails and bbms i send all hours of the day... it's gotta be BB!
    My sleeping patterns agree with this statement.
    Alex_Hong and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-02-12 04:27 AM
    Rene, Phil and Dan don't use BB's... never have too much either over the years.

Even when BlackBerry was at its height of popularity, they never did. I'd say of the bunch of other EiCs, Rene has the most respect for BlackBerry. He gets the BB strengths (always has), and who it appeals too. Dan and Phil... a little less. Think that's a fair statement. If they disagree they can reply here.

Most of the EiCs do have some other platform devices around though... we all usually make sure to have some iOS around as that's sort of a standard benchmark and we all need to know it. With BlackBerry 10 hitting the market all of the EiCs will definitely have it to use and try and we are planning some cross site events. So I think we'll all use.

I'd love to read an editorial exploring where this emotional anti Rim bias (especially in the USA) developed and what if anything RIM is doing to change this.
    11-02-12 09:26 AM
    I would expect that journalists in this space have at least some familiarity with the "competition" in order to be informed. But, there's a difference between comparing platforms out of due diligence and carrying around two devices. While people are free to use whichever devices, or as many devices, as they see fit, CrackBerry writers are in a unique position where doing so might actually be disingenuous. How can you evangelize a platform and promote sticking with BlackBerry if you are not subjected to the same limitations that "pure" BlackBerry users are faced with? If you carry a BB as well as an iOS or Android phone, you aren't really empathizing with the average BB user or "feeling their pain." You're still able to post photos to Instagram, watch videos on NetFlix, make calls with Skype, etc.--things that the average BB user cannot do.

Most users do not carry around two phones, and even then, it's often only because one is mandated by work. In this case, it's possible that all CrackBerry writers' phones are review units or paid for by their employer. Or, in the case of CrackBerry (based on what Kevin said), BBs are mandated by their employer, which means that their other phone is more of a "personal" device. CrackBerry writers are in a best-of-both-worlds scenario where they use BB for work--which plays up to BB's strengths--and use iOS or Android for the stuff BB isn't good at. So, they're not really #BlackBerryByChoice because they're not really choosing...there's no sacrifice. Instead, they're #BlackBerryWhenIt'sConvenient.

Now, the CB writers might say that BB is their "primary" device and they don't use their other device that much or carry it around everywhere. It doesn't matter. If they're using it once a day or a several times a week--particularly on days off when they're not too busy with work anyways--it's still frequent enough to be a "conflict of interest." I think CB writers should "give up" their non-BB devices for some period of time to really put themselves in the shoes of the average BB user--even if just as a reminder. It would be interesting to see the effect of this on their articles or forum posts.

(By the way, I don't think the writers for the other platforms have the same conflict of interest because, while iOS and Android have their pros and cons, they largely can do the same things and choosing one over the other does not involve the same sacrifices/compromises as choosing BB. The only exception might be Windows Phone, since the platform does share some of the same issues as BB.)
    11-02-12 10:53 PM
    I would expect that journalists in this space have at least some familiarity with the "competition" in order to be informed. But, there's a difference between comparing platforms out of due diligence and carrying around two devices. While people are free to use whichever devices, or as many devices, as they see fit, CrackBerry writers are in a unique position where doing so might actually be disingenuous. How can you evangelize a platform and promote sticking with BlackBerry if you are not subjected to the same limitations that "pure" BlackBerry users are faced with? If you carry a BB as well as an iOS or Android phone, you aren't really empathizing with the average BB user or "feeling their pain." You're still able to post photos to Instagram, watch videos on NetFlix, make calls with Skype, etc.--things that the average BB user cannot do.

Most users do not carry around two phones, and even then, it's often only because one is mandated by work. In this case, it's possible that all CrackBerry writers' phones are review units or paid for by their employer. Or, in the case of CrackBerry (based on what Kevin said), BBs are mandated by their employer, which means that their other phone is more of a "personal" device. CrackBerry writers are in a best-of-both-worlds scenario where they use BB for work--which plays up to BB's strengths--and use iOS or Android for the stuff BB isn't good at. So, they're not really #BlackBerryByChoice because they're not really choosing...there's no sacrifice. Instead, they're #BlackBerryWhenIt'sConvenient.

Now, the CB writers might say that BB is their "primary" device and they don't use their other device that much or carry it around everywhere. It doesn't matter. If they're using it once a day or a several times a week--particularly on days off when they're not too busy with work anyways--it's still frequent enough to be a "conflict of interest." I think CB writers should "give up" their non-BB devices for some period of time to really put themselves in the shoes of the average BB user--even if just as a reminder. It would be interesting to see the effect of this on their articles or forum posts.

(By the way, I don't think the writers for the other platforms have the same conflict of interest because, while iOS and Android have their pros and cons, they largely can do the same things and choosing one over the other does not involve the same sacrifices/compromises as choosing BB. The only exception might be Windows Phone, since the platform does share some of the same issues as BB.)
    Jtaylor1986 likes this.
    11-02-12 10:55 PM