OK so I'm thinking of an alternative to miralcast and ive heard wonderful things about DLNA. Anyways my question is firstly :

1. Does it work with just a normal cheap flat screen TV with hdmi?
    2. Secondly is there a specific dongle I should get that works well for you guys?

Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 11:05 PM
    OK so I'm thinking of an alternative to miralcast and ive heard wonderful things about DLNA. Anyways my question is firstly :

1. Does it work with just a normal cheap flat screen TV with hdmi?
    2. Secondly is there a specific dongle I should get that works well for you guys?

Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    I haven't tried Miracast yet. I've used DLNA for over a year now. First on Z10, Now Z30.
    I've used 2 different WDTV boxes, and 2 different wifi routers.
    Unlike Miracast, DLNA uses your home wifi instead of direct connection. My old router was N, and it died. The new router is N and it works much better. Now it runs well and consistently. Before it was choppy.
    You cannot put your screen up on the TV, just pics/vids/audio.
    03-16-14 11:29 PM
    I haven't tried Miracast yet. I've used DLNA for over a year now. First on Z10, Now Z30.
    I've used 2 different WDTV boxes, and 2 different wifi routers.
    Unlike Miracast, DLNA uses your home wifi instead of direct connection. My old router was N, and it died. The new router is N and it works much better. Now it runs well and consistently. Before it was choppy.
    You cannot put your screen up on the TV, just pics/vids/audio.
    Well I have ATT u verse and there's a router in the house I guess. Do you know if it works with any tv with hdmi?

Also which brand of wdtv did you use? And yes this is mainly for media. If I wanted to mirror my screen I'd just get a really long hdmi cable (:

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 11:40 PM
    Well I have ATT u verse and there's a router in the house I guess. Do you know if it works with any tv with hdmi?

Also which brand of wdtv did you use? And yes this is mainly for media. If I wanted to mirror my screen I'd just get a really long hdmi cable (:

Posted via CB10
    TV type won't matter as long as it has HDMI (if you use WDTV). I am using WDTV Live Hub with a 1tb drive. The other USB port on it has a USB wifi adaptor.
    Other units are available with built-in wifi, or wired Ethernet as this one does.
    03-16-14 11:49 PM
    DLNA is simply the ability to stream your shared media files (pictures, music, and video files) from one device to another over a network, either wired or WiFi.

If your TV is a "Smart TV" with a network connection and a DLNA media player, and both of your devices (your phone and your TV) are on the same local network, then you can share the media on your phone and "play it" on your TV, provided your TV supports the type of media. If your TV isn't a Smart TV, then you can use an external smart box of some kind (most Blu-Ray players, for example) that supports DLNA, and stream to the smart box, which of course is connected to the TV via HDMI or Component Video cables.

Only media can be streamed - you can't display your phone's screens via DLNA, you are just sharing media files.

For video, the files have to be in a supported container (file type), such as AVI or MP4 (you have to find out what your TV/smart box supports), and also must use a supported codec (COmpressor/DECompressor - the type of compression algorithm used to encode the video), or the video won't play. Desktop computers can do on-the-fly conversions, called transcoding, to make otherwise unsupported video files playable on a given device, but if your phone is acting as the server, it isn't powerful enough to transcode without overheating and/or burning through the battery very quickly.
    03-17-14 01:09 AM
    Ps3 works well for me

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 01:41 AM
    Wdtv works great with Dlna. The file format support with the Wdtv box is unbelievable. I have thrown all types of video and audio files at it through Dlna and have yet to see one come back with an error.

Did use miracast in the past but found it took longer to connect and the playback was lagging. None of those problems with Dlna pluses you can continue to use your phone as normal while only the media you shared with Dlna shows on your TV.
    My Miracast is now relegated to my computer monitor whenever I connect my BlackBerry with my keyboard and mouse.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:34 PM
    You don't need to plug the phone into the TV. I have ATT Uverse as well and just stream the phone via the router to either the TV (I have 1 SmartTV) or the WDTV Box. No issues what so ever. Just need to make sure you are sharing on the phone.
    04-17-14 12:47 PM