Just switched over to BB from Palm and need a bit of assistance with contacts: When a contact has two mobile numbers (e.g. husband and wife) how do you differentiate on BB?

In Palm, I used "Mobile" for one and "work 2" (or something similar) for the other. Then I would write the first name after the number, so I know which number goes to which person.

Now that I've transferred these numbers to BB (I use Outlook 07, MS Exchange 07 and BES), the phone dials the mobile number PLUS numbers representing the alphabetical characters used for the name.

Is there any way in BB to designate the name associated with each person's cell number?
    09-24-10 04:48 PM
    Create separate contacts.
    09-24-10 06:05 PM
    If I wanted to do that, I would of...Is there anyone out there with a more eloquent solution?
    09-24-10 06:17 PM
    What's the problem with separating the contacts like Motorcycle Mama suggested? You should consider her advice, as usual she is right. And if the contact has email addresses or additional personal info that pertains to only them it is an absolute necessity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 09-24-10 at 07:10 PM.
    09-24-10 07:07 PM
    The BlackBerry OS is designed to recognize all the characters in the phone number field and dial them. There's no way around it.

And I'm not sure what "I would of ..." means.
    09-24-10 08:11 PM
    MM...here's the deal: I have over 1800 contacts that have been collected over the years, many with partner/spouse names which are different from the "lead" contact. When sending an email, it's no problem because the "display as" tells who it's going to. Cell numbers are another problem and thus my initial post. To go throught every contact and seperate these into additional contacts would reak havok with my mailing list and my CRM system.

Is there any way of putting a couple of spaces after the number (and before the alphabetic name) to pause the dailing? Or could I put the name in as an extension?...then the BB would ask if i wanted to dial it???

I don't know, but there must be some way to work around this...
    09-24-10 11:09 PM
    Spaces won't work.

Try adding a "Wait" character between the phone number and the name and then just press "Skip" when it pops up to dial that part.
    09-25-10 07:09 AM
    MM...I tried adding a "wait", but couldn't get the BB out of numeric mode and into alphabetical. So I tried the same thing in Outlook and it seems to work. In O/L I edited the phone number, added a space, an "x" and then the person's name. (e.g. (555) 555-5555 x sam) When this updates to the BB it automatically inserts the "wait" signal and then when dialed, gives me the option to skip.

This gets the desired result!
    09-25-10 05:20 PM
    Hooray! Glad you finally got It resolved. I just logged in to tell you, you can edit through outlook and save your fingerprints. Congrats.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 05:49 PM
    For future reference, in order to "get the BB out of 'numeric mode' and into alphabetical" just press the ALT key and then type the letter.
    09-25-10 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD