This is a survey publish on pcmag, and the author list a rank here
    Let's discuss about it. Do you have a smartphone?
    05-20-11 05:54 AM
    Everyone in my family has a smartphone. However, I know a number of folks that don't. They believe they are a distraction, are too hard to read, add no value to communication, and don't pass the cost versus benefit test. They do have a PC or laptop but other than that just a plain phone. Some of these reasons I can relate to. I was at a meeting the other day and a couple of individuals could not stop texting. It was very distracting and they were asked to turn off their phones or leave the meeting. It's amazing what can be achieved when not distracted. Will the smartphone be a common utility in the future? Probably. Then again, is it worth the cost and is there a real benefit to the individual.
    05-20-11 06:44 AM
    No everyone does not. There are many people that can't even afford to eat much less have a roof over their head. I hope these people are counted as everyone in America also.
    05-20-11 07:17 AM
    Believe it or not, when my Dad retired he also retired his BlackBerry, and got a dumb phone. And my mom, has NEVER had a smartphone, nor has my girlfriend. Mom says she doesn't need it, girlfriend thinks that while they ARE nice, they are NOT worth an extra 30 bucks a month!
    05-20-11 08:25 AM
    I know about 15 people who do not have a smartphone, including my mom. They all have their own reasons for not wanting/having one. (have computer at home, don't want to pay the extra $29.99, just don't feel that they need one, etc.)
    05-20-11 08:39 AM
    Beside me, one of my sisters, and one of my uncles, my entire family has dumbphones. I have a lot of friends and know a lot of other people at my shul that have dumbphones. It's mainly because they don't feel they need anything more than a phone and they're not in a hurry to get to other things (email, internet, etc.).
    05-20-11 08:57 AM
    The only 3 people I know that don't own a smartphone, don't want one because they've seen everything mine can do and they think it's "too much" for them. Which is understandable, lots of people just want a mobile phone that can call and text.
    05-20-11 09:03 AM
    I got my first smartphone almost 5 years ago. For the longest time I told my wife she should get one and she kept asking why.

She just went from no smartphone to 2 in 72 hours. Her phone died and AT&T talked her into a Windows7 phone that she returned in two days and exchanged it for an Android HTC Inspire4G. She also got a promotion at work which allowed her to get a company phone which is an iPhone.

Now I have my work cutout for me. Every night I get home and she has a list of new questions.
    05-20-11 09:13 AM
    I own a smartphone, but when I couldn't afford that, I had a dumbphone. My parents do not. My best friend only just got an iPhone a couple of months ago. I have another friend who has never owned a smartphone. Many of my aunts and uncles don't have a smartphone.
    05-20-11 09:20 AM
    I forced my husband into an HTC Tilt and he HATED it. I forced him into a BB 9000 and that was it, I've only seen the top of his head from that point on. I don't remember what colour eyes he has.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 11:04 AM
    Yes.

10 frigging characters.

05-20-11 12:14 PM
    Haha. That was hilarious Qb. My mom is too technologically illiterate to have a smartphone. She barely knows how to call on that. But me and my wife both have Android phones and man I don't think I could handle life without a smartphone.

05-20-11 02:35 PM
    Course a lot of people don't want to be paying $50-100 a month for phone plans, so no.
    05-20-11 02:38 PM
    Course a lot of people don't want to be paying $50-100 a month for phone plans, so no.
    I would be happy if there was a way to just have a data plan and ditch the voice plan. I use the "phone" feature less than anything else on a smartphone.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-20-11 03:15 PM
    It's funny that when I saw this I had to go out to pick something up and I started looking around and it seemed that the majority of folks all had smart phones. Never really noticed (or cared) before.
    05-20-11 03:59 PM
    I would be happy if there was a way to just have a data plan and ditch the voice plan. I use the "phone" feature less than anything else on a smartphone.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Those days are long gone.... Unless you want prepaid or something, even then you have limited options.

But I agree, I use very little minutes and a lot more data/sms.
    05-20-11 04:14 PM
    I know quite a few people without smart phones. A lot of people in my classes at college didn't even have cell phones.
    05-20-11 04:14 PM
    I know quite a few people without smart phones. A lot of people in my classes at college didn't even have cell phones.
    Wow! AT UCI in so. California, an informal student survey indicated that almost 90% of the students had smartphones.
    I guess it is where you live that determines what percentage of the population have smartphones.
    05-20-11 06:52 PM
    I think it's one reason. If we have wifi everywhere, I think smartphone will be a good choice for everyone. Just image
    05-21-11 05:23 AM
    I forced my husband into an HTC Tilt and he HATED it. I forced him into a BB 9000 and that was it, I've only seen the top of his head from that point on. I don't remember what colour eyes he has.

My wife and kids dragged me with great reluctance and many protestations into the mobile phone world at the end of 2004. Muddled along underwhelmed by apathy through 2 2-year contracts into December of 08. I 'kinda' used my first two phones, a Samsung VGA 1000 and a Sanyo Katana. It was a minor convenience, to say the least. I didn't have to track down a pay phone anymore, and I could check out the weather radar or forecast for my driving, and that was the highlights. And that was about it.

Then December of 08 rolls around, it was upgrade time. I'd decided I wanted something more useful, and decided to ask questions, see if I couldn't get something that I could do a few things with. I'd looked around a bit, and Sprint had Palm, but the stories I'd heard about them were less than flattering. I'd seen the BlackBerry Pearl, but it didn't even register with me. The rep, after just a few minutes of hearing what I wanted to do, pointed out the recently-arrived Curve 8330. I like the keyboard, but it merely stared at me as I attempted to navigate using the trim ring.

Frustrated, I'd pressed a key, and the screen lit up as if to say, "You're getting warMER", and still I failed to get it to navigate until I moved the trackball, and saw the arrow move. Ok, so I scrolled to the browser, typed in for Yahoo, and started going to town. I was suddenly propelled into a realm of possibilities, and then discovered that I could get it for the same price as the high-end dumbphone I was being encouraged to upgrade to. I went to my rep, asked her to bring me one, and for the first time, I was EXCITED about a mobile device. Ideas danced in my head, and the time waiting to charge it up was thankfully taken up with an eye exam.

A week later, I'd figured out a lot, but suspected there was more. I was getting good with Google, and searched for BlackBerry help sites. #1 was CrackBerry, and I began reading. It was a frigid December snow, in Ohio, and suddenly my world was expanding beyond the walls of my sleeper-cab.

My wife and daughter both joined in the BlackBerry fun. For them, it is a handy device. For me, I use it to run my world. There is very little I don't do without it.

I see quite a variety of phones these days, quite a few of them are smartphones, and a great many of them are in the hands of people who have no clue what you can really do with one. But hey, check this out ....

05-21-11 06:24 AM
    Believe it or not, when my Dad retired he also retired his BlackBerry, and got a dumb phone. And my mom, has NEVER had a smartphone, nor has my girlfriend. Mom says she doesn't need it, girlfriend thinks that while they ARE nice, they are NOT worth an extra 30 bucks a month!
    When I retire my smartphone will also.

05-21-11 06:59 PM
    When I retire my smartphone will also.

Really? I would still have a smartphone it just may be a different platform as my needs would have then changed to 100% consumer. But even in my personal life I rely to heavily on things a smartphone provides and I just don't see that changing enough to go back to a dumb phone.
    05-23-11 12:05 PM
    I only know a few people without smartphones, all the rest do have them.

Funny though, when/if the systems fail, so many people will be lost without a smartphone to remind them of the things they had scheduled nor be ablt to navigate without gps. Hahaha.

05-23-11 05:07 PM
    hahaha. Seems this topic reminds of our memory. When I got a phone, I begin to look forward to better one at that moment.
    05-25-11 05:34 AM
    Blackberry has a nice chunk in there.
    05-25-11 12:18 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD