After reading the post hostage situation at the discovery channel HQ in MD, I came across an interesting paragraph. Seems the co workers sporting BlackBerries emerged as the "smart leaders". Read whole article here...

Discovery Channel HQ given 'all clear' - CNN.com

and the part in particular...

"When we first heard the news, we heard that the gunman was mobile and we were told to go into locked offices," she said. "We were really panicking, then trying to keep it under control."

But, she said, fellow workers carrying BlackBerry devices seemed to know what to do, and led her out of the building via a route that avoided the lobby."
    09-02-10 08:29 AM
    Any i-d-i-o-t would know that if a gunman is in room "A" and you need to get out of the building... don't go in room "A"...

it's not that hard to figure out. for any Blackberry User, Nokia User, Android User, or iPhone User....

It's called simple Common Sense, luckily this guy had some.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 08:33 AM
    No matter what phone you carry. Dealing with a nut case like that, we should all just be happy everyone got out safe.
    09-02-10 08:33 AM
    No matter what phone you carry. Dealing with a nut case like that, we should all just be happy everyone got out safe.
    +1 to that.

09-02-10 08:39 AM
    Any i-d-i-o-t would know that if a gunman is in room "A" and you need to get out of the building... don't go in room "A"...

it's not that hard to figure out. for any Blackberry User, Nokia User, Android User, or iPhone User....

It's called simple Common Sense, luckily this guy had some.

just a BlackBerry reference. Sorry you took offense. ha
    09-02-10 08:45 AM
    +2 10char
    09-02-10 08:46 AM
    just a BlackBerry reference. Sorry you took offense. ha
    I didn't take offense to it.

if you want to offend me, Tell me Popeye's Chicken went out of business.
    ================================================== ====

I just get a little upset when i see people being praised for having Common Sense.

I am happy the people are safe don't get me wrong. it just common sense to get away from a man with gun....

09-02-10 09:18 AM
    i is smart cuz i has blackberry yaaay
    09-02-10 10:29 AM
    I just get a little upset when i see people being praised for having Common Sense.
    From what I've seen it's a little harder to find these days...
    09-02-10 12:04 PM
    I think I'd rather have someone carrying a glock than a blackberry in a situation like that. Or an AR.
    09-04-10 11:00 PM
    wow they might have well also added in that he had on a grey shirt that day or a butterfly was sitting on a tree in the park down the street from the building it would have been just as important to that story as the fact that the dude had a blackberry
    09-04-10 11:16 PM
    I didn't take offense to it.

if you want to offend me, Tell me Popeye's Chicken went out of business.
    ================================================== ====

I am happy the people are safe don't get me wrong. it just common sense to get away from a man with gun....

then be prepared to be upset everyday..
    i see people lacking in common sense everyday..
    you know what the gov't should have done.. instead of the stimulus money? it should have been Common Sense distributed to all Americans..
    and by the way.. my favorite line to my congressman or senator whenever i see them is this.. " Sir,Madam how do you legislate Common Sense?"
    09-04-10 11:23 PM
    I think I'd rather have someone carrying a glock than a blackberry in a situation like that. Or an AR.
    i hope you meant a " law enforcement person" carrying a glock..
    if everyone is allowed to bring a gun.. there won't be anymore traffic in the metro...and no one will ever get fired.. or denied a loan..
    09-04-10 11:25 PM
    if everyone is allowed to bring a gun.. there won't be anymore traffic in the metro...and no one will ever get fired.. or denied a loan..
    I have CCW permit, i carry everywhere i am allowed to without risking a Felony Charge.

either a Glock 19 or Taurus PT111 Pro. and i got to a 25yrd shooting range every month just to keep fresh...

09-07-10 08:23 AM
    then be prepared to be upset everyday..
    i see people lacking in common sense everyday..
    you know what the gov't should have done.. instead of the stimulus money? it should have been Common Sense distributed to all Americans..
    and by the way.. my favorite line to my congressman or senator whenever i see them is this.. " Sir,Madam how do you legislate Common Sense?"
    Yea i know, and it's a shame the lack of Common Sense in todays world.

09-07-10 08:24 AM
    No, I meant a person.
    Not that I don't trust police (I'd rather have a cop with a gun there than a regular person) but think about it: would there have been a hostage crisis if the hostages had been armed? I think not.
    I carry, and I've been denied loans, never been fired though. Look through old newspapers and stuff, the people who shoot others are almost never cpl holders, and a lot of the time they don't even own the gun they're using. The country would have less violence, not more, if more people carried and criminals knew it.

09-07-10 08:34 AM
    Really? The "law enforcement person" is minutes away when SECONDS count! Those of us with CCW are not the problem, never have been.
    09-07-10 02:15 PM
    Half the time you can't even trust the cop to shoot the right person or shoot properly, because they're so shoot happy noobs that they'll get too giddy very quickly. I'd rather I make the decision.

Unfortunately, the big issues now even for self defense and ccw people is there's a very large grey line on when you can and cannot use a deadly weapon in self defense and actually not get in trouble. There's so many laws now that it's almost not worth it to do anything. Heck, people can't even fight anymore when a dispute happens without fear of going to jail. WTF is that about? Too many crybabies and too many laws to protect those crybabies...
    09-08-10 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD