Same here....i had to exit a conference call (that continued after my company was supposed to exit). I had to wake up the phone, swipe up the other app I had running, move to the phone app, expand it, and end the call. I'm sure others on the call were wondering what the hell I was doing. Embarrassing.

Conversely, I've been in calls where I wanted to open a browser so I tried to swipe up the phone app. Instead of minimizing, the swipe up triggered the giant hangup button which ended the call. Super frustrating and embarrassing.

Time for hardware buttons blackberry!
    01-19-14 08:49 AM
    Same here....i had to exit a conference call (that continued after my company was supposed to exit). I had to wake up the phone, swipe up the other app I had running, move to the phone app, expand it, and end the call. I'm sure others on the call were wondering what the hell I was doing. Embarrassing.

Conversely, I've been in calls where I wanted to open a browser so I tried to swipe up the phone app. Instead of minimizing, the swipe up triggered the giant hangup button which ended the call. Super frustrating and embarrassing.

That happened also with me. You need physical button to end calls. Last time I was also wiping and get very confused if the call was ended or not.
    01-19-14 09:01 AM
    Far to many advantages of the Q10/Z10/Z30 over any BBOS unit to even list. Get out your manual, learn the shortcuts, watch the You Tube tips & tricks from all over the globe, keep an eye out for new tips & tricks as the BB10 OS leaks come out at Crackberry and take a breath BB10 is only getting started.

1 year from release to the current .1925 leak is amazing, even during the ???'s about whether the company would even survive, the engineers kept pushing forward. They may have been late to the game, but they are here now.

My first BB was a 7520 and when the scroll wheel went away I thought I was done, tech evolution seems questionable at times but I'm sure BB had several dozens of very smart people come up with the current UI.

Go BB10 & Crackberry!!!
    The 9900 was just the epitome of a BlackBerry. Although I've moved on, I still find myself occasionally taking it out and firing it up. The design was classy, the build quality excellent, and BBOS 7 just seemed to integrate so cohesively with the hardware. Sure, it looks a little dated, but I view it kind of like the command line: it's not new or sleek, but it's still the best tool for some jobs, which is why it's relied on everyday by IT pros.

But I largely agree with modbro. I'd give it some more time with the Z30. You might still find yourself longing for the 9900 time-to-time, but by and large, it would it be hard to switch back once you get used to the conveniences in a more "modern" platform: a great browser, HTML emails, way better camera, and the ability to quickly move between the Hub, apps, and home screen.

I still think BB 10 and corresponding devices are neither as iconic as the 9900 nor as emblematic of what a BlackBerry is (or at least was) about, but they're a good start. If you were a true BB power user when it came to email and communications, the lack of certain functionality in BB 10 might make it a non-starter, though hopefully those capabilities are added over time. But if your usage and priorities are a little more rounded, going back to the 9900 would likely be a regression.
    Dunmanway Emar likes this.
    01-19-14 09:31 AM
    Buttons break. Track pads break. I've had legacy BlackBerry devices and these things do break and became harder to fix with each new generation.

Posted via CB10
    It's way harder to break a trackpad that a glass screen. not to mention the cost of replacement. BBOS pieces of hardware on BBOS are so cheap and easy to replace. In BB10 when you break something, you break everything wich is the entire screen.

As for the OP, I totaly agree, I have a Q10 now, but to end a call in a 9900, I would just take the phone off my year, and without looking at the phone I would end the call while I was geting it back in the pocket. With the Q10 I can't do that, I'm slave of staring at a screen to do everything, there's no muscle memory
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-19-14 10:05 AM

I'm sorry but you not knowing how to use a touch device doesn't mean BlackBerry has to make a phone full of buttons for you, and just a little FYI, it doesn't take 2 seconds to swipe up and press the call button and end the call.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:27 AM
    It's way harder to break a trackpad that a glass screen. not to mention the cost of replacement. BBOS pieces of hardware on BBOS are so cheap and easy to replace. In BB10 when you break something, you break everything wich is the entire screen.

As for the OP, I totaly agree, I have a Q10 now, but to end a call in a 9900, I would just take the phone off my year, and without looking at the phone I would end the call while I was geting it back in the pocket. With the Q10 I can't do that, I'm slave of staring at a screen to do everything, there's no muscle memory
    That is not true, I have 3 friends with BlackBerry 7.1 devices and they all had their trackpads replaced, they said it's garbage.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:30 AM
    If you manage to break the buttons on a BlackBerry, going to a glass screen is not going to be your answer for durability!

I see threads on here where people have their shiny new all touch BlackBerrys for a week before they manage to smash the screen on it...
    01-19-14 10:32 AM
    If BlackBerry goes back to physical buttons to end calls which no other phone maker has now then they might as well go back to OS7.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:32 AM
    If you manage to break the buttons on a BlackBerry, going to a glass screen is not going to be your answer for durability!

I see threads on here where people have their shiny new all touch BlackBerrys for a week before they manage to smash the screen on it...
    Trackpads on OS7 devices where garbage, you don't have to do anything for them to break ( except the 9900).

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:34 AM
    That is not true, I have 3 friends with BlackBerry 7.1 devices and they all had their trackpads replaced, they said it's garbage.

Posted via CB10
    I had a bunch of trackpad devices, and none of them had to be replaced. I also had a lot of friends that had trackpads (some still have), and no issues what so ever. The trackball however were prone to wear a bit, but they are so easy to replace that you don't even bother.
    There are bad batches of devices. There were batches of Z10 with faulty batterys wich doesn't mean the device is wrong. it happens.

I find trackpads very reliable if you use them properly, and now that I'm on BB10, and despite the Q10 being the smallest BB10 device, I can tell that the trackpad was realy handy to operate the device one handed. Touch screen based devices are a bit clumsy to work one handed.
    01-19-14 10:36 AM
    I have (and love) the Z10. I don't really miss the buttons, but I think I miss the trackpad more than anything else, especially when selecting blocks of text, which I find myself doing more and more as I spend more time in various forums. While touch screen text selection continues to improve in BB10, to me it still hasn't reached the level of precision and ease of use as that ol' trackpad. However, all the other benefits of BB10 far outweigh that minor inconvenience.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    01-19-14 10:38 AM
    You couldn't find the end call button? You mean the big a** red bar that takes up 1/5th of the screen and says END CALL on it?

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-19-14 10:40 AM
    Trackpads on OS7 devices where garbage, you don't have to do anything for them to break ( except the 9900).

Posted via CB10
    Sorry -- that's somewhat inaccurate. My last three BBOS devices all had trackpads (9800, 9810, 9900) and I never had a single issue with them. They'd all been dropped at one point or another; in fact I cracked the screen on the 9900, but the trackpad was still fine. Not sure where you're getting this info from.
    01-19-14 10:42 AM
    I have (and love) the Z10. I don't really miss the buttons, but I think I miss the trackpad more than anything else, especially when selecting blocks of text, which I find myself doing more and more as I spend more time in various forums. While touch screen text selection continues to improve in BB10, to me it still hasn't reached the level of precision and ease of use as that ol' trackpad. However, all the other benefits of BB10 far outweigh that minor inconvenience.
    True... sometimes in the Q10 I want to place the cursor beteen letters, and is a pain. The trackpad made it easy. Scrolling thorught webpages was also more confortable with trackpad, you would do a much smaller movement. Using the device one handade was way easier with a trackpad. It had a lot of conveniences, but if you think, a trackpad in a Z10 or Z30 probably wouldn't work, since it would have to sit at the bottom of the device, it probably wouldn't be ergonomic to use.
    01-19-14 10:44 AM
    Sorry -- that's somewhat inaccurate. My last three BBOS devices all had trackpads (9800, 9810, 9900) and I never had a single issue with them. They'd all been dropped at one point or another; in fact I cracked the screen on the 9900, but the trackpad was still fine. Not sure where you're getting this info from.
    Guess you and I are the lucky ones. Mine never had any issues either.
    01-19-14 10:44 AM
    I had a bunch of trackpad devices, and none of them had to be replaced. I also had a lot of friends that had trackpads (some still have), and no issues what so ever. The trackball however were prone to wear a bit, but they are so easy to replace that you don't even bother.
    There are bad batches of devices. There were batches of Z10 with faulty batterys wich doesn't mean the device is wrong. it happens.

I find trackpads very reliable if you use them properly, and now that I'm on BB10, and despite the Q10 being the smallest BB10 device, I can tell that the trackpad was realy handy to operate the device one handed. Touch screen based devices are a bit clumsy to work one handed.
    That's not the case in the middle east, it took them 6 month to fix their trackpads, and yes the middle east is a HUGE market for BlackBerry, I don't see how it's easy to use a trackpad and not easy to use a touch screen? When I had my bold 9780 I wished it had a touch screen because the trackpad was just so annoying.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:50 AM
    I got this info from myself, I held the devices with broken trackpads with my own hands.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:54 AM
    That's not the case in the middle east, it took them 6 month to fix their trackpads, and yes the middle east is a HUGE market for BlackBerry, I don't see how it's easy to use a trackpad and not easy to use a touch screen? When I had my bold 9780 I wished it had a touch screen because the trackpad was just so annoying.

Posted via CB10
    Simply because the trackpad is like a mouse, you can acess everything on the phone without moving your hand... in touch devices, you have to move your hands in thee device sometimes to reach certain parts of the screen (Ex. Swiping at the bottom of the screen, and then reaching setting swiping in the top). You have to do a lot more gymnastic with your fingers.

I have a BB10 now, I'm super happy, the advantages clearly outweight the disavantages, but NOT EVERYTHING is better in BB10, there are few stuff that BBOS devices/OS were better. I don't miss the trackpad that much, but I do miss the independent volume fo calls and notifications that I had on BBOS (even OS4 had this feature)

But no way I want to go back to BBOS, I like BB10 better.
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 01-19-14 at 03:47 PM.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-19-14 11:09 AM
    Simply because the trackpad is like a mouse, you can acess everything on the phone without moving your hand... in touch devices, you to move your hands in de device sometimes to reach certain parts of the screen (Ex. Swiping at the bottom of the screen, and then reaching setting swiping in the top). You have to do a lot more gymnastic with your fingers.

I have a BB10 now, I'm super happy, the advantages clearly outweight the disavantages, but NOT EVERYTHING is better in BB10, there are few stuff that BBOS devices/OS were better. I don't miss the trackpad that much, but I do miss the independent volume fo calls and notifications that I had on BBOS (even OS4 had this feature)

But no way I want to go back to BBOS, I like BB10 better.
    I think it works when your call is on speakers only.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 12:33 PM
    I am sure there are any thread about this. But not with these constellations.

I do have a Z30 and I must say, it is the best phone for me. Before, I rocked a Q10. Also awesome.

Afetr 2 weeks of my Z30 I am fully happy. But it happened that I was thinking about how much I miss the keyboard. The trackball and phone buttons in general!

Right it happened to me! I was having a phone call via headset! As I wanted to hang up I had problems finding the "end" button. So I had a 3-5 second gap before hitting the virtual "end call" button. This would never happened with my Bold 9900! I really do miss it!

I found myself watching review of Bold 9900 on Youtube. Hell, even on ebay you get good ones for 100 Euro. Just for texting, calling, some internet it would be fine. But then you need a BIS payment monthly. And the OS is old and the battery is useless. But all in, I was fine with the Bold

Q10? Top phone! But still, no trackpad, BB button and End/call buttons which I find important. Also, I think BBOS 10 is better on full touch smartphones like the Z10 and Z30.

I hate that because I constantly buy new BB phones. Are there any users who used to have a Z30 who switched back to legacy devices because of the buttons??

Again, it was a dumb gap after I could finish the call. I might thinking about buying a Bold 9900 and be happy with it.

Would be nice if some users would share there story and what to do.

Thanks
    Then buy an Android, iOS or WP device!

What? They don't have the buttons you desire as well?
    Well, I guess you have your answer then...

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-19-14 12:42 PM
    Then buy an Android, iOS or WP device!

What? They don't have the buttons you desire as well?
    Well, I guess you have your answer then...

Posted via CB10
    I bet you are one of those hipsters who would also type on a touch keyboard for PC's and Laptops right??

Why, because everyone will do it. So it must be good for me too, right??? TROLOLOLOLO
    01-19-14 12:50 PM
    I bet you are one of those hipsters who would also type on a touch keyboard for PC's and Laptops right??

Why, because everyone will do it. So it must be good for me too, right??? TROLOLOLOLO
    I never made any judgement of what is good for you or what is bad for you.
    I am simply telling you that 99% of smartphones sold, don't have the buttons you are talking about.

So no matter if you desire physical call buttons or not, the market pretty much ignores your wish.
    You can therefore stop whining about it, or you could start your own smartphone production.

And no, I am actually such a hipster, that I bought a Mac because of W8's touchscreen paradigm, and who would probably love to use a typewriter again.
    The difference between our situations is very simple though:
    The market provides me with a viable alternative to touchscreen laptops.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 01:00 PM

Don't get me going on what they're doing to desktop UI's for the sake of unifying the experience between those and tablets. Both MS and Apple are doing it to one extent or another and I absolutely hate it.

Anyway ... back to our regularly scheduled topic.
    01-19-14 01:03 PM
    I never made any judgement of what is good for you or what is bad for you.
    I am simply telling you that 99% of smartphones sold, don't have the buttons you are talking about.

So no matter if you desire physical call buttons or not, the market pretty much ignores your wish.
    You can therefore stop whining about it, or you could start your own smartphone production.

And no, I am actually such a hipster, that I bought a Mac because of W8's touchscreen paradigm, and who would probably love to use a typewriter again.
    The difference between our situations is very simple though:
    The market provides me with a viable alternative to touchscreen laptops.

Posted via CB10
    Don't many android phones have the call button weather push button or touch button but separate from the touch screen? So you can't say 99% don't have it.

You can say 99% have a home button.
    01-19-14 02:09 PM
    Been using Q10 for 6 months now. And yes i still miss the button too.

Posted from JulieBerry
    01-19-14 02:27 PM
91 1234