Well, I love my Storm 2.. but I am really disappointed with the wifi. I unlocked the storm 2 put a t-mobile sim in, resent service books and got everything working.. Issue is there is no UMA.. That sucks.. Wifi does seem faster on T-Mobile but without UMA its really a moot point.. Anyone else get UMA working yet on Storm 2?

Thanks
    11-10-09 11:18 AM
    Well, I love my Storm 2.. but I am really disappointed with the wifi. I unlocked the storm 2 put a t-mobile sim in, resent service books and got everything working.. Issue is there is no UMA.. That sucks.. Wifi does seem faster on T-Mobile but without UMA its really a moot point.. Anyone else get UMA working yet on Storm 2?

Thanks

What do you mean,"wifi is faster on t-mobile"??? wifi comes from your wireless router or other hotspot--not from your phone carrier.
    11-10-09 11:19 AM
    I'm confused, why would WiFi care which carrier you are on? WiFi doesn't use cell networks. Maybe I am missing the point?
    11-10-09 11:20 AM
    I'll explain this the best that I can. On T-Mobile you can set your device to use Wifi preferred . On Verizon you don't get that option. It seemed from my testing that webpages and such came in faster while on T-Mobile then on Verizon. The location I am in has limited cell signal so Wifi is the preferred method of communication. The storm 2 on Verizon spends most of its time and power on trying to reconnect to cell while the T-Mobile device stays in UMA mode and ignores the Cell signal until you don't have wifi anymore.
    11-10-09 11:28 AM
    that still does not explain why wifi would be faster on another carrier. wifi is totally dependent on your internet connection not tower location.
    11-10-09 11:33 AM
    If your phone is spending all its cpu cycles on trying to tower reconnect it can have an impact. I am just saying there was a noticeable difference between the two. Tried it both ways.. Wifi was faster on T-Mobile then on Verizon. I am switching the phone back to Verizon though because it does me no good without UMA. I'll keep my Storm 2 on Verizon and my 8900 on T-Mobile. ugh..
    11-10-09 11:37 AM
    If your phone is spending all its cpu cycles on trying to tower reconnect it can have an impact. I am just saying there was a noticeable difference between the two. Tried it both ways.. Wifi was faster on T-Mobile then on Verizon. I am switching the phone back to Verizon though because it does me no good without UMA. I'll keep my Storm 2 on Verizon and my 8900 on T-Mobile. ugh..
    I hear what u are saying, but I've not seen any difference in connection speed via wifi, with the verizon network connection disabled, vs enabled.
    11-10-09 11:39 AM
    Did you read the spec sheet on the phone? It doesn't have UMA list in the specs. Which would lead me to believe that it doesn't exists in the phone.
    11-10-09 11:42 AM
    UMA isn't hardware. That's a software/service book from what I can tell. UMA is voice over IP. RIM isn't going to have different wifi chipsets for UMA / non UMA wifi phones. but then again. I could be wrong.. I think it can probably be done with some tinkering. Take for instance the 8900. its on at&t and T-Mobile. Both are the same phones but on T-Mobile you get UMA. I bet internally they are the same to keep cost down.
    Last edited by PacketRat; 11-10-09 at 11:53 AM.
    11-10-09 11:47 AM
    Well I got my wifi working fine on my storm. It connected fine toy router. But I haven't tested it on hotspots yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 11:52 AM
    UMA isn't hardware. That's a software/service book from what I can tell. UMA is voice over IP. RIM isn't going to have different wifi chipsets for UMA / non UMA wifi phones. but then again. I could be wrong.. I think it can probably be done with some tinkering. Take for instance the 8900. its on at&t and T-Mobile. Both are the same phones but on T-Mobile you get UMA. I bet internally they are the same to keep cost down.
    All I can say is that you are going to be hard pressed to get any support on this topic from anywhere.
    11-10-09 12:22 PM
    All I can say is that you are going to be hard pressed to get any support on this topic from anywhere.
    There is no support to give the OP. Verizon does not support UMA. End of story.
    11-10-09 12:31 PM
    Wait so wifi question... If I am in a hotspot will I automatically switch to wifi as long as I have wifi on? Or do I have to set up the connection for every place I want to be on wifi? I get that any place with a secure wifi connection would require the set up, but what about free hotspots?

To be honest I have no idea what UMA is so this may be way off topic.
    11-10-09 12:43 PM
    Wait so wifi question... If I am in a hotspot will I automatically switch to wifi as long as I have wifi on? Or do I have to set up the connection for every place I want to be on wifi? I get that any place with a secure wifi connection would require the set up, but what about free hotspots?

To be honest I have no idea what UMA is so this may be way off topic.
    You have to set up every location. UMA= Unsecured Mobile Access Which is t-mobiles way of extending their network without putting any real money into it. And they charge an extra monthly fee for you to use it.
    11-10-09 12:45 PM
    Well that kinda sucks... I would prefer to use wifi if it's available and free but haveing to set it up all the time seems like a pain... oh well.
    11-10-09 12:59 PM
    It's my understandig that UMA is a technology that allows GSM users (ATT & Tmobile) network users the ability to handoff communications and supports roaming access to unlicensed and public broadband networks.

Verizon uses CDMA technology, not GSM here is the US...so therefore, UMA is not supported. Also, Verizon is FAMOUS for maintaining strict controls--why would they want to allow UMA when they could just enforce that you use THEIR network and 3G service? They could potentially lose money...disallowing UMA and related technologies provides them with better control of their pipeline.
    Last edited by starjoy; 11-10-09 at 01:02 PM.
    11-10-09 12:59 PM
    Okay.. lets break this down a little. Yes Verizon uses CDMA they also have GSM on some of their models like the Storm 2. That's how they make it a world phone. The Storm 2 will work on at&t and T-mobile if you get the phone unlocked. Once its unlocked you can put another provider's sim in the phone and use it with local services of that sim card. Hope that cleared some of this up.
    11-10-09 01:29 PM
    Well that kinda sucks... I would prefer to use wifi if it's available and free but haveing to set it up all the time seems like a pain... oh well.
    It's pretty easy actually. You open Connections and press "Set up Wifi Network". It scans to see if one is available. If it is, it connects and saves the location, so if you go there again it automatically connects if you have wifi enabled.
    11-10-09 01:35 PM
    the wifi works good on my storm2, however the setting up thing is kind of a pain. However it isnt really a big issue i dont think. My old windows mobile HTC phone would simply scan as soon as you flipped wifi switch and then you could choose which network to connect..none of the setting up or anything. Once it gets set up on the storm thought mine has worked perfectly!
    11-10-09 01:38 PM
    Have you guys had a problem with WPA2-Personal security? I was unable to connect to that.
    11-10-09 01:43 PM
    Im at my workplace inside a steel car garage and where I work, cell phone network service sucks for any carrier. Im connected to the wireless router in our shop and I dont have a single problem at all, my storm 2 seems to prefer the router for viewing web pages and doesnt lag or switch back and forth. bbm works great on it too. you could always shut off your cell phone network service and just run on wifi only but i have both on and my internet works just fine
    11-10-09 01:45 PM
    You have to set up every location. UMA= Unsecured Mobile Access Which is t-mobiles way of extending their network without putting any real money into it. And they charge an extra monthly fee for you to use it.
    They don't charge for UMA. It's free. It's also helpful for traveling abroad. You can make calls over wifi without having international fees. That's one of the reasons people really love UMA. Wifi, no matter the device you should only have to setup for new connections. It automatically connects if its a network that you've already been on.
    Last edited by barban7; 11-10-09 at 01:57 PM.
    11-10-09 01:45 PM

Thanks
    Not sure, but i think there's a hack to get UMA.
    11-10-09 02:56 PM
    Okay.. lets break this down a little. Yes Verizon uses CDMA they also have GSM on some of their models like the Storm 2. That's how they make it a world phone. The Storm 2 will work on at&t and T-mobile if you get the phone unlocked. Once its unlocked you can put another provider's sim in the phone and use it with local services of that sim card. Hope that cleared some of this up.
    The GSM band has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Verizon... RIM is the mfg of the phone, RIM put the GSM band in to make it a global phone. Verizon does NOT have ANY kind of GSM network ANYWHERE. Verizon is STRICTLY CDMA networks. The SIM card is there for GLOBAL use. If you go to Europe, you can call VZW and have them activate the global feature, and you can use the Vodafone GSM network. NOT VERIZON.

If you unlock a Storm 2 9550 to use on T-Mobile, or AT&T, you can only get EDGE speed (2G) but NOT 3G speed. However it will work for voice, sms, and all of that but not at 3G speeds.
    11-10-09 05:40 PM
    hm...wifi should just be faster if you have a stronger signal off your router. uma for tmobile is a service that tmobile offers to used voice over ip to save you from going over your monthy minutes. for example. my brother set up uma at home and at work. he uses like 5000 mins on uma which doesnt go against his normal mins per month. its an extra 10 dollars for the uma service for tmobile. does not have to do with anything for faster web browsing on wifi. wifi is just wifi. if you want a faster web browsering then it should subject to hardware where data transfer per second comes into play. Post dotn really make sense to me thats all. sorry
    11-14-09 10:24 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD