After using the iPhone for a long time decided to switch look for something that would suit my needs - messaging, e-mails and really wanted a full qwerty for that. Surfed the web and came across Blackberry which isn't popular in my country to say the least. Read some reviews and it seemed like exactly what I wanted - a reliable phone for texting.

Went with the 9000 awesome keyboard, e-mail and messaging capabilities BUT right from the start got the sound problem where the phone randomly stops making any sounds. Isn't that what a phone should do in the first place? Ring? Frustrated that there was no solution I could find on the web that fixed the problem permanently I send it back to be serviced. Still waiting for it to comeback but they probably won't fix it anyway.

So then my work phone died and I got to choose some other phone went with the 8900 cuz it was dead cheap and my boss is cheap ***. A new BB - happy me. NOT. The sound is all fine and dandy but now randomly resets without a particular reason while being used. Great.

I thought BB was a reliable phone and you pay more $$$ exactly for that. I never had ANY problems whatsoever with the iPhone. ANY! Really disappointed with the quality of the product that RIM offers. I don't want to go back to the iPhone but I guess I will be forced to.
    09-07-10 01:06 PM
    I'm surprised, the only devices I have ever had issues with were the original Storm, and the Bold 9000 when they first launched.

But random reboots have always been "somewhat prevalent" with BlackBerry's.

How long have you had it?

I found that once I started getting into the habit of daily morning battery pulls those issues died down.

But yea, my iPhone has been much more stable when compared to my BBs.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 09-07-10 at 03:00 PM.
    09-07-10 01:10 PM
    My point is that a customer that pays for a premium priced phone shouldn't even get used to solutions like everyday battery pulls. EVER.
    09-07-10 01:20 PM
    My point is that a customer that pays for a premium priced phone shouldn't even get used to solutions like everyday battery pulls. EVER.
    +1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-07-10 01:26 PM
    You're right in a sense, but upkeep is needed on most everything you purchase now a days...

And I see Battery Pulls as part of the Upkeep needed when you use a BlackBerry device.
    09-07-10 01:27 PM
    Apparently you didn't look in the 9000 forum here as there are quite a few threads about the audio problem and how to fix it. Luckily I never had an issue with mine. That phone was the best phone I ever owned up until I upgraded to the Torch.

And usually the random reset issue can be resolved with a simple OS update, as well as monitoring your memory to make sure you don't have a memory leak (usually caused by a 3rd party app or theme).
    09-07-10 01:28 PM
    You're right in a sense, but upkeep is needed on most everything you purchase now a days...

And I see Battery Pulls as part of the Upkeep needed when you use a BlackBerry device.
    On older BlackBerry models, yes. Newer ones with 256MB RAM or more shouldn't need battery pulls at all (except for when installing or uninstalling apps).
    09-07-10 01:31 PM
    Yes, my BlackBerry Bold 9000 was my favorite BlackBerry to date (And I have had TONS) once I upgraded to a newer OS (When I got it unlocked from Rogers) it ran fine and didn't have many reboots.
    09-07-10 01:31 PM
    You came from the iPhone so you know the definition of junk. Sounds like user error to me!

Go back to the iPhone - ...
    09-07-10 01:35 PM
    I've tried every solution possible with the sound problem - OS upgrades, downgrades even the thing with the plate under the battery door. Problem kept coming back - frustration rose.

Regarding the resets - don't think that a phone right of the box, no additional applications whatsoever should reset do when you try to add a task or read a message.

Don't get me wrong I really like the phones and would love to get one that actually works as intended for at least a couple of months not hours. Nothing is permanent and is being produced with a predefined life expectancy so they can get more $$$ of you but users shouldn't be forced to deal with these kind of issues from day one.
    09-07-10 01:39 PM
    You came from the iPhone so you know the definition of junk. Sounds like user error to me!

Go back to the iPhone - ....
    Sounds like a nice thing to say to someone who is new around here.

09-07-10 01:40 PM
    I've got a Storm 2 and have done about 4 battery pulls in months, for problems with the phone such as slow dialing input. Not every BB needs (to use your words) an "everyday battery pull".
    09-07-10 01:43 PM

Go back to the iPhone - be gone.
    There's nothing better or worse about the iPhone than the BB's.

I agree with the point though. We pay a large sum of money for these products, we should be able to expect them to work properly without needing constant fiddling if we don't want to.

My Tour is unreliable with its' signal strength, has a relatively poor antenna, and has long reboot times, occasional random reboots and terrible lagging at times. My original started to act like that as has the warranty replacement. That's poor design, poor quality control, or a combination of the two. For what I paid for it and how long it took to be released, one would have expected it to have been thought out better...

09-07-10 01:44 PM

Go back to the iPhone - be gone.
    that was uncalled for!
    09-07-10 01:44 PM
    I've got a Storm 2 and have done about 4 battery pulls in months, for problems with the phone such as slow dialing input. Not every BB needs (to use your words) an "everyday battery pull".
    In all fairness, that was suggested to him. Stop being so damned defensive.
    09-07-10 01:46 PM
    I've tried every solution possible with the sound problem - OS upgrades, downgrades even the thing with the plate under the battery door. Problem kept coming back - frustration rose.

Regarding the resets - don't think that a phone right of the box, no additional applications whatsoever should reset do when you try to add a task or read a message.

Don't get me wrong I really like the phones and would love to get one that actually works as intended for at least a couple of months not hours. Nothing is permanent and is being produced with a predefined life expectancy so they can get more $$$ of you but users shouldn't be forced to deal with these kind of issues from day one.
    I can't speak to the Bold 9000 issues, other then to say there are a lot of very happy Bold users that do not experience those issues.

The 8900 on the other hand, appears to have a hardware issue. Random restarts is not normal in any BlackBerry.

If the contacts to the battery are dirty it may be loosing connection from vibrations, or there may be a intermittent failure in the power supply section of the logic board.

Try cleaning the battery contact with a pink rubber eraser. If that does not help, return it for warranty replacement.
    09-07-10 01:52 PM
    In all fairness, that was suggested to him. Stop being so damned defensive.
    cool your jets and stop being offensive.

I was merely letting the guy know that all BB don't need daily battery pulls.
    09-07-10 01:52 PM
    that was uncalled for!
    I understand . . . however, he did not ask for help in the past through two different phones. First post now? I still say he does not own a berry. Just someone trying to insult the BB forums.
    09-07-10 01:54 PM
    I understand . . . however, he did not ask for help in the past through two different phones. First post now? I still say he does not own a berry. Just someone trying to insult the BB forums.
    so your being insulting is the answer?
    09-07-10 01:56 PM
    Don't need to prove I own anything to a arrogant person like you. My point is that if RIM would fix the issues I experienced (and I read a lot of people did too when I searched countless forums for solutions) then maybe they would have even more customers who recommend their products to others and thus make more profit. Looking at these forums for the past couple of weeks I noticed many of the die hard BB fans were migrating.

I for myself would like a new version of the 9000 which I really started to like (except for the problems of course). That would be the perfect phone for my needs.
    09-07-10 02:02 PM
    There's nothing better or worse about the iPhone than the BB's.

I agree with the point though. We pay a large sum of money for these products, we should be able to expect them to work properly without needing constant fiddling if we don't want to.

My Tour is unreliable with its' signal strength, has a relatively poor antenna, and has long reboot times, occasional random reboots and terrible lagging at times. My original started to act like that as has the warranty replacement. That's poor design, poor quality control, or a combination of the two. For what I paid for it and how long it took to be released, one would have expected it to have been thought out better...

Tour is unreliable?! No way. It is absolutely reliable to me, the signal is almost full all the time every where I go and it's blazing fast and hardly ever battery pulls before, now not any more since I updates OS and bought memory booster app. Tour is probably one of the best top BlackBerry in my opinion!
    09-07-10 02:19 PM
    Tour is unreliable?! No way. It is absolutely reliable to me, the signal is almost full all the time every where I go and it's blazing fast and hardly ever battery pulls before, now not any more since I updates OS and bought memory booster app. Tour is probably one of the best top BlackBerry in my opinion!
    Well then consider yourself lucky, friend. My original one did the signal strength / 1XEV to 1X fluctuation issue, and the refurb they sent me is doing it too. I'd get another refurb but I'm done messing with it. Even sitting right here in my living room, it'll jump from -90dbm to -256dbm/searching for cdma. When my sis visits and brings her Droid, it will be holding a steady signal and 3G connection on the same network, sitting on the table right next to my Tour, so that sure doesn't lead me to buy into the idea that the issues I'm having are tower related, as I once thought...

The only thing I haven't had issues with on the Tour have been unfixable trackball issues. I've been able to get the ball rolling again every time it's jammed up. If I'd have replaced the device every time the ball locked up, I'd be on # 5 or 6 at least by now, only 3 days shy of having one for a year.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-07-10 at 04:28 PM.
    09-07-10 04:13 PM
    Looking at these forums for the past couple of weeks I noticed many of the die hard BB fans were migrating.
    Many have, including me. Even my sister who was a die hard Iphone user just got the Samsung Galaxy S, which runs Android. I asked her why she didn't get the Iphone 4 and she replied; 'Cause this phone does so much more'
    09-07-10 04:23 PM
    And usually the random reset issue can be resolved with a simple OS update, as well as monitoring your memory to make sure you don't have a memory leak (usually caused by a 3rd party app or theme).
    Well it seems to me you have already a solution... Unless Reed is right and it really is a hardware issue.

Out of curiosity, where are you from?
    09-07-10 04:23 PM
    +1

that is very true. the fact that apps for rebooting exist just shows the problems of the OS that people just over look or dont want to face. I've soft reset (reboot) ATL + RIGHT SHIFT + DEL about 4 times a day.
    09-07-10 04:35 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD