I am having trouble with my 8520 curve. I've only had it two months and the shop just shrugged their shoulders with me problem.

Just over night I have lost my e-mail icon. I have managed to reinstate it but lost all my emails. Also, it allows me to access my emails once, then nolonger allows entrance to the icon? That also aplies to my SMS icon.

I keep getting uncaught exception messages saying app (303) (99) etc etc is not responding, process terminated.

I have loaded the desktop manager and it is saying error backing up database
    so cant even do anything there.

Please help with suggestions
    05-23-10 06:27 AM
    First of all try a battery pull and see whether this helps ... Pull the battery out while the device is switched on and put it back on again after 30 seconds.

Clear the browser cache and event log and try to back up the device.

If battery pull doesn't work, you may have to reload the OS to fix the issues. Make sure to backup the device before that...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 06:51 AM
    Thanks ST

Pulled the Battery, clear the cache and history, tried to connect to desk top to do back but the message "error backing up data base" occured.

Any thoughts
    05-23-10 07:27 AM
    I wanna throw my phone too, because *no* os install seems to work!!!!

This is my 2nd Bold 9700, IF I have to get ANOTHER replacement, I don't know what I'm going to do!!!
    05-23-10 07:36 AM
    Blackberry is a good mobile phone.But after I got my bold 9000,I spent too much time to change the os.......But now I still dont know what is the best os for my bb....
    05-23-10 07:43 AM
    Ok, I know very little about these systems... can anyone give me a blow by blow account of how to remove the OS and reload a new one?
    05-23-10 08:27 AM
    Lets tackle the backup problem first. You need that working in order to complete the OS upgrade.

Note which database is causing the error. Open Advanced Restore and open an early copy of the backup, if one exists. Copy the earlier subsection of the database to the device. If no earlier backup exists, delete the corrupted data.

Note, if the error occured while backing up the Cache, that can be deleted without any impacts.

Your backup should now proceed. If not, repeat the procedure until it does.

Now we can tackle the errors and issues on the device. Select your choice of your carriers device OS or you can use the latest version that has been carrier approved from the links in each device sub topic.

After a fresh build, I would expect all of your problems will be resolved. If not, we can tackle them as they occur.
    05-23-10 09:39 AM
    Remember wipe the bb before reload a new one
    05-23-10 09:46 AM
    Remember wipe the bb before reload a new one
    Personaly, I prefer to upgrade instead of wiping.

The difference is the finished state of the re-build. When you wipe it first, all the settings are erased and you have to start over again.

When you upgrade, the first step is a backup and the final step is a restore. The finished state is a normal working BlackBerry.
    05-23-10 09:50 AM
    I am sorry my English is not good and i didnt get your point just now.But i think you can use the DM to backup all the settings(including address books,emails,messages........ect),after you wipe your bb,you can use the DM to restore ( .ipd file).I always do that and seems no problem.
    05-23-10 10:01 AM
    1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
    2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!
    3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.
    05-23-10 10:11 AM
    Thanks for all your help! This is whats happening, I fire up my desk top, plug in my phone to the USB, click back up and the message "error backing up database(s).

So what really I'm stuffed until I can get passed this! Is there a setting on the phone that I haven't done?
    05-24-10 11:59 AM
    In Desktop Manager with your BB connected to your computer by USB, click on Backup and Restore, then Advanced. Scroll down to "Browser Cache" in the right-hand window and clear the database. Then go back and try the backup again.

You won't lose anything by clearing the Browser Cache and it causes 90% of backup issues.
    05-24-10 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD