Now I recognize that this may seem absurd, impossible and just plain stupid to some, but keep in mind Dell revolutionized the PC market with this strategy and it continues to work well.

When we consider the apparent low volume of BB10 production and sales, this makes a possible case for considering a D2C strategy. BlackBerry could design a phone and offer it in 2-3 variants, with varying price points for each. For simplicity let's consider the Q series, instead of designing two completely different phones to cater to a low spec and higher spec market, they could simply design one (Q10) and offer it in two forms, a lower spec cheaper version and a high spec premium version for premium price, it could feature just minor visual differentiation such as the back cover material or fret colors etc.

With this the company could produce the Leap in two forms, the cheap one being offered now, and a higher spec one for those who want a full spec FT for 100-250 more.

The company would have to make some serious upgrades to, and take control of its shopblackberry store, but this could be an excellent way to sell direct to consumers, exactly what they want.

The downside, carrier support may be difficult and having that presence is absolutely necessary, but smaller inventories would be needed so they would be happy.

Services exist in many places that store and ship electric components so they arrive immediately rather than having to wait a few days (servers, POS machines, etc) the additional margin that would be made by selling directly would likely cover most the cost of storing inventories in these places, which means if you break your phone you don't even need to go into a carrier, you call up BlackBerry and they have a new one delivered within the day, now that's service.

Put some actual thought into it and let's hear some feedback.

BB for Life
    04-02-15 02:30 PM
    At the risk of getting flamed seeing their loyal consumer base strategizing ways to increase their footprint glaringly says two things, 1. their marketing department has failed to energize even their loyal base and 2. their loyal base is admitting things are not well and are turning to "all hands on deck."

For the record, I am one of their loyal base since the 7200 and just ordered a Classic but will also say that the reason I've stayed through 8310, 8700, 9300, 9900 is because BB always took something good and made it better. Just like reaching in my change pocket or pulling out my wallet, I've become secure with an expectation from knowing what's there and not being disappointed has kept me with BB.

I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding BB10 but from reading it looks like the company I stayed loyal to left me since I have to learn new OS, get and learn all new apps, some of which might be better, but that's relative since I'm happy and familiar with what I have. I don't want to feel like I've been using BB's all these years but can't use my new phone??? And I don't learn new things well...

But I will also admit this is how I felt when my new laptop came Win8, the company I stayed with since Windows 3.0, that had the same look and feel since Win95 (a disc I still have), abandoned me with a system I couldn't navigate until I found a program called Classic Shell that put the steering wheel back where it went (sorta speak)... I was a Buick man from waaaay back, drove a Century, Roadmaster and several Park Avenue's through the years and prefer a full bench seat but learn to live with the 60/40 split. Buick left me also since all you can get now are bucket seats (I have a Cadillac now)...

As for BB, it's ok to seek new customers, I encourage that. But don't forget those who've supported you through the years. Leave them a path, a backdoor if you will, to feel like their loved and appreciated. What they need is a Cadillac division for the steady Eddie's then have a consumer division to as you imply, compete with the fast growing, ever changing, niche market...

Edited to add...
    Soon, I don't think carriers will be the primary supplier of phones, TMO no longer gives "deals" for new phones like in the past and people like me want phones they don't have. I think all suppliers need to find the means to sell their devices or risk a bottleneck between supply and demand.
    04-02-15 05:25 PM
    Lol.. if you don't want something new, then don't buy something new.

You can't expect everything to operate like a bakery,.. although I imagine you wouldn't have been at all pleased with sliced bread.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 05:39 PM
    For simplicity let's consider the Q series, instead of designing two completely different phones to cater to a low spec and higher spec market, they could simply design one (Q10) and offer it in two forms, a lower spec cheaper version and a high spec premium version for premium price, it could feature just minor visual differentiation such as the back cover material or fret colors etc.
    I don't mind this idea at all. Kinda like the 5S & 5C concept. But doubt it would be economically feasible.

Remember, BlackBerry is not designing anything for consumers until further notice.
    04-02-15 10:31 PM
    Lol.. if you don't want something new, then don't buy something new.

You can't expect everything to operate like a bakery,.. although I imagine you wouldn't have been at all pleased with sliced bread.

Posted via CB10
    Old wears out...

And you can still get unsliced bread... They didn't leave their consumer base behind....

My point was, it's ok to go after new customers, but don't forget the ones you have... My grandmother died at 102 and each day until the day she died she ate one square from a Hershey Chocolate bar. Hershey makes all kinds of other products, but they didn't forget what made them famous or those who still consumed that product...
    04-02-15 10:51 PM
    Old wears out...

And you can still get unsliced bread... They didn't leave their consumer base behind....

My point was, it's ok to go after new customers, but don't forget the ones you have... My grandmother died at 102 and each day until the day she died she ate one square from a Hershey Chocolate bar. Hershey makes all kinds of other products, but they didn't forget what made them famous or those who still consumed that product...
    Eh... http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30790170

Angry people everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 10:57 PM
    They didn't leave their consumer base behind.
    Yes, they have.
    04-02-15 11:02 PM
    Eh... Cadbury's Creme Egg chocolate controversy - BBC News

Angry people everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    The proof will be if Cadbury consumer base drops to let's say 37 million (less than 1% of market share). That would mean some who previously consumed their product, stopped... Possibly because of this change in recipe, but why change the old recipe when you can make another egg with the new recipe and theoretically increase your consumer base with those who like old AND those who like new?
    04-02-15 11:12 PM
    Well this thread has certainly taken a direction I did not expect..

I don't mind this idea at all. Kinda like the 5S & 5C concept. But doubt it would be economically feasible.

Remember, BlackBerry is not designing anything for consumers until further notice.
    Yes I see your point, my idea behind this strategy was that consumers would be able to buy higher spec versions of the phones being designed as low/mid spec for enterprise

BB for Life
    04-03-15 12:13 AM
    I only buy direct from blackberry. I won't buy any other way. I dig their partnership with Amazon. It is the future. I hope carrier branded stores eat it.
    04-03-15 01:21 AM
    Yes I see your point, my idea behind this strategy was that consumers would be able to buy higher spec versions of the phones being designed as low/mid spec for enterprise
    It would be the other way around. Consumers are generally more interested in the low to mid range market. Apple dominates the high end (iPhone 6/6+) with Samsung seeking to hold their second place position (Note 4/S6). There isn't even a clear bronze place finisher...maybe LG or HTC.
    04-03-15 04:04 AM
    It would be the other way around. Consumers are generally more interested in the low to mid range market. Apple dominates the high end (iPhone 6/6+) with Samsung seeking to hold their second place position (Note 4/S6). There isn't even a clear bronze place finisher...maybe LG or HTC.
    This is true, but of the consumers who are interested in BlackBerry products, my guess is that more would be towards higher end. But I may still be wrong, and that is why the cheaper variants are still a key part of this

BB for Life
    04-03-15 04:37 AM
    The proof will be if Cadbury consumer base drops to let's say 37 million (less than 1% of market share). That would mean some who previously consumed their product, stopped... Possibly because of this change in recipe, but why change the old recipe when you can make another egg with the new recipe and theoretically increase your consumer base with those who like old AND those who like new?
    Because keeping two things going costs more than the loss due to the relatively small number of people that will actually stop buying it.

In this case keeping BBOS alive is a bit more involve than just "keep making it." It requires expenses in software updates (for security), as well as further diminishes their already-puny economies of scale in manufacturing by forcing them to split their already small orders into even smaller orders of new and probably antiquated components (which suppliers, unlike sugar, milk and cacao producers, will stop making).

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the things you so dearly miss and love are the things that destroyed BlackBerry. They didn't fall to 1% because of BB10, they fell to 1% because of how limited/slow BBOS was compared to iOS and Android, and BB10 was just launched too late to be able to do anything about it.

By the time BB10 launch, BBOS had already cemented the idea that BlackBerry was the "sort-of-clever phone" that only did email and served as the stepping stone between feature phones and "real" smartphones.

I'm not going to say that you're alone,.. but you are in a very small crowd. And most folk that thought like you already got harassed by their kids into switching to an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-03-15 07:02 AM
    This is basically the only way they are selling devices to consumers in the US currently. Not working great. The corporate and government devices are being bought through carriers now, so you cannot abandon that relationship. Dell had a a lot of Marketing to become successful (Remember the constant Dude you got a Dell commercials?). BlackBerry is inept at marketing. Chen is not a consumer based CEO. He is a business to business CEO. He apparently does not want to venture outside his comfort zone and BlackBerry will continue cowering away to business and the brand will continue to become more poisonous on the consumer side, which will have an impact on the business side.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 08:57 AM
    Would you have advised Radio Shack to continue to service their traditional customers? I'm talking about the hobbyists and tinkers that used to go there to buy electronic parts. They had a loyal customer base doing that for decades and there really isn't any other place to go for these things.

The latest news is that they have gone bankrupt and will now co-brand their stores with Sprint. Even Sprint seems to feel like they need more stores to sell smartphones. If a direct-to-consumer strategy doesn't work or them then why would it work for Blackberry?
    04-03-15 09:54 AM
    This would be a terrible move.
    04-03-15 10:25 AM