okay guys here's the deal.

i bought a blackberry curve 8310 last August via ColorWarePC. (colorwarepc.com)

it was a birthday present for my brother who cares very much about aesthetics and he only likes black cell phones.

i'm in Canada (Vancouver), and ColorWareAPC doesn't ship to Canada so I had someone in the US proxy it to me. it was a long/costly process but what can i say I love my bro and he was literally ecstatic when i gave it to him.

it worked more or less okay except about six months in it would turn off by itself, and on pressing a button to use it it would "reboot" (give me a little hourglass that would rotate for a few minutes). this was a little problematic for him as he'd use the phone as his alarm clock but it would turn off in the middle of the night and not wake him up.

now about two weeks ago it started to turn off and reboot constantly. it got to the point where upon touching it the wallpaper and theme would flash for a second before it turned off. sometimes he'd be able to get one text off before it would reboot. then it stopped acutally rebooting and just showed the rotating hourglass for (hours) at a time, finally, it stopped turning on all together.

the phone WAS new in box, my bro did no software/firmware updating on it whatsoever. he did not drop it.

I took it to FIDO they wouldn't touch it, neither would Rogers (AT&T). I'm guessing because now it's an older model and from the US without a warranty. I took it to an independent cell phone repair shop that specializes in unlocking international phones and things of that nature. It's a legit store they have a technician and the AT&T branch i went to actually gave me their business card. After two weeks I've heard back from the shop and they've said they've tried everything and can't get it working again.

What do I do? Suck it up?

Obviously I will never buy a phone internationally again. Contacting the person who did the proxy for me is more or less a last resort as it was a favour... I don't really want to reach out again.

Is there some way I can send the phone to Blackberry the company so they can attempt to fix it?

I really appreciate all responses here... I'm a little shocked as I mentioned the phone is less than a year old.

anyways my brother is quite stuck as he was relying on the phone and can't really afford another one at the moment.

i appreciate all responses... honestly guys..
    07-09-09 11:44 PM
    Getting a device Colorware'd = voiding the warranty. That's why Rogers wouldn't touch it and why RIM most likely won't either.

Your best bet to have a working phone, if an OS wipe and reload doesn't work, is to do an insurance claim on it (assuming you have insurance). If you don't have insurance, you're pretty much screwed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 12:33 AM
    Contact colorware, and tell them, it should still be warranty'd by them no? Taking it across the border shouldn't void the warranty....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 02:28 AM
    Definitely wipe and reinstall the OS before trying anything else. Looking at ColorWare's warranty page

"ColorWare Inc. warrants this hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship for a pre-determined time period dependent on the level of warranty purchased by the customer"

Since you bought it new, you have this warranty for a year. However, I'm not sure how you can argue that this problem is in the "materials [or] workmanship." I hope working the OS is the solution, though.
    07-10-09 03:25 AM
    Research in Motion does offer a BlackBerry repair service, available to all models.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Smartphone Out of Warranty Policy

Out of Warranty Policy

BlackBerry® smartphones purchased directly from Research In Motion (RIM) are covered under a one (1) year warranty for defects in material and workmanship from the date the product was shipped. If you did not purchase your smartphone directly from RIM, please contact your service provider for warranty information.

If your smartphone is no longer covered under the one (1) year warranty, but requires service, you have three options:

Only the repair option allows you to keep the custom work intact.

it would turn off by itself, and on pressing a button to use it it would "reboot" (give me a little hourglass that would rotate for a few minutes). ...
    This is a normal response to a low battery. Power is first conserved by shutting down the radio, by shutting it down.

I can appreciate how frustrating this may be if your bro is using it as an alarm clock. A couple of solutions come to mind, the first is connecting it to power for overnight charging. Second, use Auto On/Off to conserve power, but set the On time for shortly before the alarm.

I am inclined to suspect power related issues. The obvious first suspect is the battery.

07-10-09 11:19 AM
    hey guys thank you so much for your responses.

the guys at the store i took it to tried the OS wipe... i'm pretty sure. if this is something i can attempt by myself i will.

and reed mclay overnight charging didn't help. even trying to use it while plugged in it wouldn't work.

however at this point i'm really interested in the repair service you mentioned . where can i find out about the "research in motion repair service"

just by googling it i've come across this

"If you did not purchase your BlackBerry smartphone directly from RIM, please contact your carrier or reseller for return and repair service."

which i'm afraid applies to me. taken from here

hXXp://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/devices/service_options.jsp#tab_tab_instructions
    07-10-09 03:02 PM
    I posted the link I quoted.

The situation is, you don't have a carrier warranty, you don't have a warranty from the custom shop, that rules out your free options.

If it will not accept the software, repair with replacement parts including the main logic board are needed.

Research in Motion offers that service, for a reasonable price.
    07-10-09 04:29 PM
    oh im sorry man i didn't see the little bolded part at the very end of the page.

i've emailed them.

thank you so much
    07-14-09 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD